Lungbuster

Why just one power and ground input?

Okay Im really interested in buying a 7KD but I have a question. First off a 1/0 gauge cable can only support 300-350 amps of draw yet your amps is pulling almost 800 with a load?

Okay Im really interested in buying a 7KD but I have a question. First off a 1/0 gauge cable can only support 300-350 amps of draw yet your amps is pulling almost 800 with a load?

I believe bus bars are recommended and using actual copper pipe to the amps.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang :suicide-santa:

I'd kill for one of those amps

:eek5wavey:

Well the amp is bought, Im just in the process of finding alts and batts for it. I dont guess I know what you mean by copper pipe. I assume you mean like copper rod running off the bank of batts or what not?

Sounds like it

Have fun buying batteries and alternators! LOL

:dancing:

those amps are extremely efficient, also you're going to be running short runs of wire to and from your amp which increases the amount the can handle. Also you can get 1-4/0 reducers for it so you can put a single 2/0 or 4/0 wire in it. simp;e

Efficiency is key, like Julian said. You really don't need buss bars on the amp either. I've played with a SounDigital 16K, which uses the same technology as Stetsom, and we got over 10Kw at 4 ohms from it, it has dual 1/0 power and grounds.

Efficiency is key, like Julian said. You really don't need buss bars on the amp either. I've played with a SounDigital 16K, which uses the same technology as Stetsom, and we got over 10Kw at 4 ohms from it, it has dual 1/0 power and grounds.

I know this thread is old, and hate digging up old dirt but what is extremely efficient? 90%? 80%?

Even at 12volts, 10k is 925a at 90% and 1041a at 80%. I'm not saying anything about the dual inputs being a problem, but going on saying these amps are way more efficient and they can get by with less isn't truthful.

Truth is, less inputs is cheaper to make. And not exactly just because of less parts, but more on having to design a larger space to handle the inputs. And for the most part, doesn't have any real big gain, over just two. Simply because most people will have short runs of wire to a bank of batteries to keep these powerful beasts feed anyways.

Point is, people judge a book by its cover, and are told to do so in car audio amplifiers. Take amp fusing and MAX ratings, first lesson most noob learns is, take fuse rating multiple by 12 and that's a good "round about" max RMS the amp can put out.

So now, seeing a amp rated for 7k and only one set of 1/0 inputs, it goes against what they have always been told.

But if you go back in the day, A LOT of amps had 8 gauge inputs yet put out 3-4 times the power 8 gauge inputs could handle. Same thing applies to these.

I have noticed if a company who uses Korea or China made amps decided to come out with a 7kw amp but only used 1 set of inputs people wouldn't even consider buying it. And if it was a great deal smaller than the "normal" of that class, which those are two big physical characteristics people go on to determine how much power it really does, and they automatically assume there's no way they can do the rated power.

Anybody who has worked in a retail shop can tell you, customers think the bigger the size, the more power it is. And the industry markets around that, and only until recently actually really started taking advantage of using smaller parts to make the smaller amps of the same power.

Anyways, enough rant, I just seen this and decided to add my opinions to anybody that might come across this thread. Which I'm sure this question is asked a lot, and not giving the whole truth is almost the same as lying to me.

If you think about it when the run from amp to battery bank isn't going to be 20 feet long its going to be much, much, much shorter.. the shorter your wire is the more current can be passed through because resistance is greatly reduced.

I don't know much about how amps do what they do, but.....

How big, in comparison, to 1/0 cable are the traces on the board itself?

I wouldn't think they are close to that cable size.

I assume what Julian stated above is the reason for this, if my assumptions are correct.

I don't know much about how amps do what they do, but.....

How big, in comparison, to 1/0 cable are the traces on the board itself?

I wouldn't think they are close to that cable size.

I assume what Julian stated above is the reason for this, if my assumptions are correct.

Yep for the most part, even with 100% efficiency its still way way over rated amperage for the wire, but in a short run there is much less resistance, less heat, and can handle much more power.

And you can always use bigger wire for longer runs with a reducer on the end.

Well thats not true,

If you do the testing for yourself, you will see that one cable is enough

We recommended a 72mm cable which is around 3/0 to 2/0 cable for the big amps and for the 7k2e only one 1/0 is fine

and long you dont have the cable bigger than 4 feet long