Sign in to follow this  
ElusiveKandyDC

What enclosure for my Icon?

I've been trying to decide what enclosure to build for my 1 12" D2 Icon.

Like most members here I listen to all types of music, but personally lean heavily toward rock/metal. As a musician, I am plagued with a trained ear (good for recording, bad when analyzing car audio) so SQ is top priority.

I had the Icon in a stuffed 1.15 sealed box powered by a Crossfire vr600 in the past. I loved everything about it (clean, accurate and smooth with tons of depth). Very toneful. I took the system out of the car last year and ended up giving the box away to a friend. I recently got the itch back and getting ready for the re-install. Seems like 99% of members here prefer ported which has got me interested.

I've got a pretty decent understanding of the performance differences between the two but dont read much about how/if tone and impact characteristics differ. One thing I wouldn't mind improving is impact. The Icon will be powered by an SAX1200D this time around so hoping the extra wattage will help in that department but maybe a specific enclosure design will be the ticket?

In summary... what enclosure (sealed/ported, size/hz) will best suit rock/metal and deliver a fast, tight kick with the most IMPACT? This will be going in a 99 Acura Integra. Thanks

Ported has been a preference due to efficiency, but you might want to try the optimal sealed enclosure: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/technical/icon-box-designs/icon-12-optimal-sealed.html or the smaller ported if you want to make the leap to ported: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/technical/icon-box-designs/icon-12q-small-ported.html.

I usually tend to suggest to some people with your similar preferences to go optimal sealed and then if after some time in that enclosure they feel they want more output, jump to the smaller ported.

:)

Thanks for the nice feedback on the Icon. :)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I'm really leaning toward trying a small ported box tuned low. It's something I've never tried and who knows... I may enjoy it.

On that note, I have a few questions if you don't mind...

How do the Icons perform in small ported enclosures? (2 cu.ft.?)

What tuning would be optimal for metal?

What characteristics of a small ported box differ from an optimal sealed?

I know there's info all over the net on the subject but I'm curious how the Icon specifically, performs in different enclosures. Thanks

Go ported. I listen to a lot of metal too and it sounds damn good.

If you tune to SSA recomendations the responce will still be very flat, but a little louder.

Port it FTW!

I had mine tuned to 33hz and sounded awesome playing metallica

what did you do in the end OP?? Or is this still not settled for you?? Just curious as I am waiting on my 12" Icon and have a "crappy" sealed box right now... But might just get a better one later on or before it ships... I'm still on the fence..

with the small box recommendation, would it be better for him to run 12 or 16 in per cubes of opening?

I figured the 16" opening will help with the lows?? the downfall would be a longer port, but I'm curious too.. :peepwall:

with the small box recommendation, would it be better for him to run 12 or 16 in per cubes of opening?

I figured the 16" opening will help with the lows?? the downfall would be a longer port, but I'm curious too.. :peepwall:

I would suggest following the box design we have listed. Unless you are very space restricted, or dealing with an awkward area, or using it for competition, the provided designs are great.