stevemead08

Anybody familier with the alpine 9887

I know this mught sound like a retarded question. Im not really an audio noobie but i havent had a newer head unit.

My problem is simple. i cant find the bass treble controll. having said that, i have looked and my manual innt much help.

My manual says tap the audio button repeatedly untill you get to the desired function IE...SUB LEVEL, BASS, TREBLE, FADE, BALANCE then back to volume.

when i push the audio button i get... SUB LEVEL, BALANCE, FADE. not bass ot treble. i figured i had a setting "clicked" that would cause these features not to be present or adjustable. I have reset the head unit using a paper clip and went back to factory settings. still have the same issue.

Any suggestions by fellow 9887 owners that have seen this?

i had a 9887 for like 7 months, and about midway through that period my "bass" option on the HU disappeared, resetting it didn't do anything. this isn't a solution to your problem at all, but i was just letting you know you're not the only one with a strange encounter with that HU

a feature cant just disappear. there has to be a setting not allowing it to be changed.

From the MANUAL:

1 Press Rotary encoder (AUDIO) repeatedly to choose the desired mode. Each press changes the mode as follows:

SUBWOOFER*1 -> BASS*2 -> TREBLE*2-> BALANCE -> FADER*3 -> DEFEAT -> VOLUME -> SUBWOOFER*1

*1 When the subwoofer mode is set to OFF, its level cannot be adjusted.

*2 When the MultEQ is set to OFF, its level cannot be adjusted.

*3 If you set the 4.2ch/2.2ch switch (pages 40 to 42) to 2.2ch, you cannot adjust the FADER mode.

From the MANUAL:

1 Press Rotary encoder (AUDIO) repeatedly to choose the desired mode. Each press changes the mode as follows:

SUBWOOFER*1 -> BASS*2 -> TREBLE*2-> BALANCE -> FADER*3 -> DEFEAT -> VOLUME -> SUBWOOFER*1

*1 When the subwoofer mode is set to OFF, its level cannot be adjusted.

*2 When the MultEQ is set to OFF, its level cannot be adjusted.

*3 If you set the 4.2ch/2.2ch switch (pages 40 to 42) to 2.2ch, you cannot adjust the FADER mode.

Im going to go out and double check that. i must have read that 11 times.

If i recall the multiEQ button being oushed yeilded nothing.

Be right back...

Ok im back. just like before, nothing. if i depress the multEQ button i get a beep but no unlocked features under the AUDIO fuction. :WTFBubble:

If i depress the button for a couple seconds i get a beep and still nothing changes. i even tried turning off the HU and turning back on to no prevail.

Impious, I appreciate you taking the time looking that up for me. :drink40:

Does the MEQ actually turn on when you try to turn it on?

Does the MEQ actually turn on when you try to turn it on?

No. i dose beep like the button works, but i dont see any indication that the Multeq actually turned on. nothing on the display and nothing opened in the menu

On my 9886, If you turn the defeat on, it makes the bass and treble settings disappear.

My CDA-9887 is the same I've tried and i can't find the bass/treble controls either. I see in my book that it says "Depending on the connected devices, some functions and display indications do not work"

I have Sirius/Ipod/CD changer and my PAC Audio steering wheel control adapter hooked up but i unplugged everything including my rca's for my sub amp and still no basss/treble controls. Even turned off the sub woofer control and nothing.

Edited by jj1479

On my 9886, If you turn the defeat on, it makes the bass and treble settings disappear.

My settings say "defeat off"

My CDA-9887 is the same I've tried and i can't find the bass/treble controls either. I see in my book that it says "Depending on the connected devices, some functions and display indications do not work" I have Sirius/Ipod/CD changer and my PAC Audio steering wheel control adapter hooked up but i unplugged everything including my rca's for my sub amp and still no basss/treble controls. Even turned off the sub woofer control and nothing.

I beleive this means an EQ like the 404 or 407... not the PAC

If you turn defeat on it will ignore all your input settings and default to factory.

Nodody has this headunit and can help me out?

Tried calling Alpine?

I think that's your best bet, to make sure the HU isn't defective.

Apparently there's either a setting or a malfunction that is keeping the MEQ from turning on, which from my understanding from the manual is not allowing you access to the bass/treble controls.

Thanks impious, i guess thats my next step. bought new from ONLINECARSTEREO.com.

If its any help, when I press the MultEQ on mine it does nothing as well.

Mine too, I'm not near my manual so I can't refer to that.

Hey guys,

I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe there is a bass/treble option on the 9887, only a graphic or parametric EQ (you can choose which in the audio menu). The 9886 might have bass / treb but the 9887 is a more "advanced" head unit so to speak.

The multiEQ button has to do with the imprint processor. Without imprint that button has no function.

I don't see why you'd want a "simple" bass and treble function when you can adjust crossover points and slopes lol

I really dont need it anyway, just be nice to know. :)

Because im not that advanced in tuning yet. lol

But if thats the way to do it, i guess its time to study and read up!

Thanks guys

Hey guys,

I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe there is a bass/treble option on the 9887, only a graphic or parametric EQ (you can choose which in the audio menu). The 9886 might have bass / treb but the 9887 is a more "advanced" head unit so to speak.

The multiEQ button has to do with the imprint processor. Without imprint that button has no function.

I dont even know the difference between grafic and parametric. :suicide-santa: would getting the IMPRINT processer be worth it you thinhk?

I called Alpine Tech dept and they said that you have to buy the KTX-H100 IMPRINT™ Sound Manager Kit ($30) and the PXA-H100 IMPRINT audio processor($120). Once hooked up you have to take several measurements throughout out your car and once uploaded into the radio it will unlock the MultEQ setting. Seems like alot of hassle and money ontop of what the deck already cost just for the bass/treble button.

Edited by jj1479

Like one of the guys said earlier, there is no treble/bass feature. Basically you have to use one of the default setting (i.e. Jazz & Blues, Hip-hop, etc.), go active, or use imprint. That kinda pissed me off about the unit..