Fi Car Audio

BTL-N1 pics

Here are a couple of pics of the N1 motor. Little odd looking compared to most designs, but form followed function. This is rather close to final version, except that material for top and bottom plates is a little thicker (for future profiling) and I wasn't paying enough attention when I wrote the code and wrapped the chamfer all the way around when it doesn't need to be where the spacers/end caps mate.

med_gallery_1784_495_22286.jpg

med_gallery_1784_495_14159.jpg

med_gallery_1784_495_831.jpg

That is an interesting motor.....I love it!!!!!

Oh damn, now I get it! When you said N1, N2, and N3 I assumed you would stack the neo plates vertically like a traditional ferrite motor, damn Scott that was unexpected.

:wub:

i'm no engineer... but i don't get how the neo on the side like that would evenly saturate the pole?

i feel like that might be a common concern as well when people look @ it on the site..

not doubting your skills in any way.. I'm actually legitamately interested as i will likely buy a n1.. I've been waiting for a lightweight woofer with some motor force.

i'm no engineer... but i don't get how the neo on the side like that would evenly saturate the pole?

i feel like that might be a common concern as well when people look @ it on the site..

not doubting your skills in any way.. I'm actually legitamately interested as i will likely buy a n1.. I've been waiting for a lightweight woofer with some motor force.

The goal is to saturate the top plate, not the pole piece.

Neo is a lot stronger than ferrite, as you probably know.

you sure?

why would you want all the magnetic force on top of the coil rather than all around it?

and i definitely know neo is much stronger than ferrite :)

you sure?

why would you want all the magnetic force on top of the coil rather than all around it?

When you saturate the top plate you concentrate all the flux on the gap where the coil rests. Yes the pole piece is saturated as well, that's just because the top plate is saturated though :lol:

Odd looking. Curious to see how well it works.

you sure?

When you saturate the top plate you concentrate all the flux on the gap where the coil rests. Yes the pole piece is saturated as well, that's just because the top plate is saturated though :lol:

gotcha.

i'm sure i just don't understand how magnetism, gauss, flux, etc all travels/exists so i'll hit the books on all that.

Nice rudder. :) Looks awesome, great work guys.

That's extremely interesting. A-symmetrical subs- technology these days :)

You've outdone yourself on these cosmetically, though I guess form follows function here.

That thing looks ridiculous. Hey, if it works, it works. Cant argue with results. :)

Oh damn, now I get it! When you said N1, N2, and N3 I assumed you would stack the neo plates vertically like a traditional ferrite motor, damn Scott that was unexpected.

i see as well.

N1 has a single neo slug, offset to one side

N2 has dual slugs, horizontally opposed

that just leaves the N3 which, following whats been shown already, should look like the prototype with the Y shaped plate.

the SG though has me wondering. the other SG(superguass) woofer i know of has 2 motors. the thought of 2 N3 motors bolted together is insane.

N3?

med_gallery_1784_464_5412.jpg

Yes, the N3 isnt far off that. But little less machining on the plates, 45 deg chamfuer rather than a round over. Saves machining time and cost.

i see as well.

N1 has a single neo slug, offset to one side

N2 has dual slugs, horizontally opposed

that just leaves the N3 which, following whats been shown already, should look like the prototype with the Y shaped plate.

the SG though has me wondering. the other SG(superguass) woofer i know of has 2 motors. the thought of 2 N3 motors bolted together is insane.

I doubt for the SG series they'll bouble stack two N3 style motors im still thinking it out to.. Maybe four smaller plates i dno or double stacked N2 style motors using the same idea behind the SMD with the spilt coils :ughdunno:

That's extremely interesting. im interested

tha fuck?

:WTFBubble:

Haters-Gonna-Hate.jpg

After our Fiside Chat, I needed to get back to work. Here are some pics in progress of another N1 motor. Testing revised GCode on top and back plates.

Making chips out of the plate where the gap should be.

med_gallery_1784_495_11192.jpg

Top plate after edge chamfer, but before gap bump profile, peck drill for basket holes, and tap. Paused during tool change.

med_gallery_1784_495_11610.jpg

Back plate after pocket for rear Fi sticker and chamfer.

med_gallery_1784_495_5800.jpg

Back plate sitting on top of vibratory tumbler.

med_gallery_1784_495_16750.jpg

Back plate in media ready to do some time getting cleaned up in the tumbler.

med_gallery_1784_495_14902.jpg

Production plates will go through the surface grinder first to get things really flat before machining. Not showing the proprietary production fixturing for these. It will help run multiple parts at the same time to reduce machine down time.

Thanks,

Scott

Mmmm top plate :D

Wow you guys have some nice toys in the shop there! Really looking nice :)

Thats becaue they do the machining in house :) FTW!