mwerling1212

shifted motor

well igot some bad news today. my rl-p 18 came in and fedex must have dropped it. the sub was packaged perfectly, with a 2x4 and mdf crate that supported the sub, and a layer of foam to protect it from shock. but we all know how bad the delivery people throw shit around. the cone is locked up, doesnt move at all. upon closer inspection i noticed the motor had shifted about a quarter of an inch. is there anyway to push it back? or is a recone the only option? heres a picture. you can see where it was on the right side by the whitish line you can kind of see

submotor003.jpg

Edited by mwerling1212

Is the ferrite cracked? If it is, you need a whole new motor, if it is not, Fi can fix it for you.

EDIT: I just saw your picture, are you able to pull the motor off, or does it wiggle at all? I looks as if the bolts might have been ripped.

I think you should link to the picture.

I'm the guy who sold / shipped the sub. I'm as pissed as werling here that this happened. After seeing the picture of the shifted motor I can only imagine that they shipped it on the truck on it's side despite the numerous markings on the box indicating "this way up". I shipped it cone down, with a sheet of 1/2 inch MDF on top of 2 inches of foam spaces and then 1 inch spacers between the sub and the MDF sheet which the sub was screwed down to using the holes in the frame.. the 1 inch was sufficient to step the surround up and keep the surround / cone from touching the MDF (completely resting on the basket). 2x4s were used in the corners to make sure the make shift crate could not twist and turn in the box. He says the box arrived un damaged so it must not have been a sudden shock, I'm guessing they put it in the truck on the side and the constant pounding of ground shipping shifted the motor (which still shouldn't happen, but it was fully functioning when it left, and he has a video of the cone being locked up)

Here's my only idea of how to fix it man. I PMed it to you already but maybe others can chime in and say whether it's worth a try.

I was just looking at the picture and I think we can try to push it back. Obviously it's movable as it went that way. The down probably is hoping that it didn't twist the coil or something.

I'd do this.. measure the diameter of the motor (the ceramic slugs) Cut part of a circle with that radius out (like 1/3 of a circle or 1/4 of a circle) .. just use the MDF I shipped it with. Stack it up a couple layers high (just cut the circle out and cut that up into 4 or 5 pieces, stack those) Screw these layers together to provide an even pressure surface to the ide of the motor.

then, take some time and figure out exactly what axis the motor is shifted on, and give yourself some reference marks on top to line up with a reference mark on our blank MDF cut out. Now, place the MDF cut out against the circumference of the motor , making sure that some of it is on each of the 3 slugs (don't risk pushing 2 slugs and missing the 3rd, make sure the blank is thick enough to touch all 3 slugs) take a hammer and start hitting the MDF blank (gently at first.. don't do it any harder than is needed). It may take several swings to figure out how hard you have to tap it to move it.. then try to move it into place like that.

Did this make sense?

It didn't cross my mind that there might be snapped bolts in there.. :suicide-santa:

That's the only it can happen since the top plate is still inline with the slugs and bottom plate, that's really hard to do because the motor is held on with epoxy, and there are 6 6-13mm bolts bolting the motor to the basket. It's possible I'm wrong but that's what it looks like.

It didn't cross my mind that there might be snapped bolts in there.. :suicide-santa:

That's the only it can happen since the top plate is still inline with the slugs and bottom plate, that's really hard to do because the motor is held on with epoxy, and there are 6 6-13mm bolts bolting the motor to the basket. It's possible I'm wrong but that's what it looks like.

I knew about the epoxy; just assumed that because it had moved the epoxy must have failed. I forgot that there might be bolts that go through the whole assembly.

I knew about the epoxy; just assumed that because it had moved the epoxy must have failed. I forgot that there might be bolts that go through the whole assembly.

I've never seen a large motor that wasn't bolted, but I'm not positive how SS does theirs.

i hope it is able to be shited back somehow. ill send it to fi if they can. i just dont want to have to recone it because i would have to get three recones and send three 18s to them. lol expensive.

I've never seen a large motor that wasn't bolted, but I'm not positive how SS does theirs.

He just told me that when he got the box it was on it's side despite all the arrows pointing upright. I'm not sure what good it will do but I told him to try and file a claim. I shipped it insured obviously, though without obvious signs of damage to the box (which is the only thing my crate seems to have protected) I doubt they'll do anything.

I have seen videos / pics online of subs taken apart with bolts through the motor.. I'd hate to think how much sheer force would be needed to snap all the bolts that would be going through there.. I rather believe it's just epoxy and that the epoxy failed. But I'd like to believe santa clause exists, too.

well ive been thinking about it. if the bolts are not broken(im not sure how to tell, it doesnt wobble, move , or come off) i want to get it fixed by someone whether it be fi, psi, or whoever and just use it as a ht sub on 300 watts in a llt. then just go back to my original plan of 2 18s and use the money i would have spent on the electrical upgrade for 3000 watts and put it towards a better headunit, maybe a new front stage. and do you think fedex will honor the claim? i really think they should... i mean, it is clearly their fault, and i cant just replace it as they are not being sold currently.