Sign in to follow this  
Bimmer_Bass

BL 12" or 10"

Hey, I've been looking at Fi car audio for a while to help fix my BMW's horrible lack of bass. I was originally looking at the 12" Q but after reading around I decided that the BL would better suit my needs, I now am at this problem I know my trunk can fit the optimum box dimensions for the 10" and 12" but I dont really want to sacrifice all that space but then I want it to also to be hitting pretty hard.

Also whats a good amp recommendation for the best price/performance

get the 12 fully loaded with a sundow saz 1500d. And yea it hits pretty hard.

Well you either get a box thats 1.2 cuft for the BL 10 or you get a box thats 2.5cuft for the BL 12. The 12 will obviously have more cone area which will yield more output in the right install. It's up to you now. If you care more for space then get the 10. if you care more for output then get the 12. But if you decide to get the 12 DO NOT make a box to small for it. A BL 10 will perform better in an optimum space enclosure then a BL 12 would in an enclosure that is to small for it.

Not sure if I would agree with the above. With a BL10 in "optimum" which above seems to reference the middle of our recommended sizes, the BL12 in the smallest recommended size will still be louder at all frequencies.

We tend to go a little on the larger side of the recommendations with the BL10 simply because it is near impossible to fit a proper port on the small side of things. BL12 in 2 cuft works great and doesnt take up too much space.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott, I wanted a 12" ideally but I just couldn't sacrifice a lot of space. I was looking at the sundown audio saz 1000d for the sub would that be too underpowered for a small box, im a big Noob by the way.

Thanks Scott, I wanted a 12" ideally but I just couldn't sacrifice a lot of space. I was looking at the sundown audio saz 1000d for the sub would that be too underpowered for a small box, im a big Noob by the way.

no that would be a perfect amp for the BL. Just remember to set the gain, SSF accordingly

Not sure if I would agree with the above. With a BL10 in "optimum" which above seems to reference the middle of our recommended sizes, the BL12 in the smallest recommended size will still be louder at all frequencies.

We tend to go a little on the larger side of the recommendations with the BL10 simply because it is near impossible to fit a proper port on the small side of things. BL12 in 2 cuft works great and doesnt take up too much space.

Thanks,

Scott

I was just going by the recommended enclosure sizes in the tech section. :peepwall:

Thanks, i just saw that the sundown doesn't make the 1000d anymore, is the the 1200 too much for the smaller box and what would be a good tune for a 2cuft box?

Thanks, i just saw that the sundown doesn't make the 1000d anymore, is the the 1200 too much for the smaller box and what would be a good tune for a 2cuft box?

Tuning is up to you and what you like. They recommend 32hz just because it's the most "musical". For the most part daily setups are tuned to 30-35hz based on preferences and recommendations.

Now this site is the only site that i have seen still carrying the saz-1000d.Saz-1000d

If you want the saz-1200d then get it because it will give you a good bit of headroom. and like everyone else has said, set your gains and subsonic filter accordingly. Set the subsonic 2-3 hz under the tuning of your box.

Sign in to follow this