casemods

srs help needed

ok so basically I bought an amp and sub and box for $650 with tax from the local car audio shop.

The prices were the same as cructchfield for the amp and sub.

The problem is the "universal" ported box they gave me for $50.

I did a lot of research and it turns out the box needs to be specifically built for the sub or it can damage it and not hit hard enough.

The sub hits pretty hard as is but it definitely doesn't feel like it's getting it's potential

My sub is a JL 12w3v3-4 and the amp is an RF P500-2

My main question is:

Should I take the universal box back and get a $50 credit towards the custom box (which will probably be marked up a ton) or cut my losses, try to sell the box and have someone local make the box for me OR make the box myself (with the help of my dad who is super good with stuff like this)

What would be a decent price to pay (before and after $50 sub box credit) from the car audio shop?

From a person I find on CL or something?

Side not:

How can I measure the DB from the sub to judge not only by feeling but by actual numbers?

here are some pictures of everything.

dscn6996.th.jpg

dscn6995o.th.jpg

dscn6994.th.jpg

dscn6992.th.jpg

dscn6991.th.jpg

dscn6990.th.jpg

subq.th.png

Edited by casemods

Custom designed enclosure to sub specs should be best ... (what I've heard) ...

Nice equipment ...

Go to a local spl show and put the system on a term lab meter before taking it apart.

All this is just my suggestion, I'm a frim believer in trial and error ...

Best of luck with your system and Welcome to SSA !!! Read up and you can learn alot here ...

You should sell it or try to get money back if you can. Build it yourself or get someone to build it or at least design it for ya. And you need a Termlab or an SPL-Lab meter to get a true reading on what dB numbers you are doing. Not sure if you wanna dish out money just to meter once or twice. Probably be better to get metered by someone local that has an accurate meter. Unless you buy a meter to test and tune your own set up for daily or competition. You can even charge for others to use the meter.

Here is a box I did for someone local for the same sub you have. The owner was way happier with this ported box tuned low than with his box he bought off the shelf. I can give you the plans for it, its pretty easy.

th_IMG_0165.jpg

th_IMG_0167.jpg

:WELCOME:

Welcome to SSA!! :wavey5:

Nice to see you on this Forum, told ya ppl would tell you everything you need to know ;)

OP doesn't know about this yet. They haven't checked back since. OP told me on SMD that this forum was no help. :(

Welcome .... :drink40:

Take the box back and get in-store credit.

Look into getting a properly designed custom enclosure built.

OP doesn't know about this yet. They haven't checked back since. OP told me on SMD that this forum was no help. :(

She gets a free box design and some advices with his first post, and she says that is no help ?!!!

:WTFBubble:

But :WELCOME: