Dobber

anyone up for helping with a box design?

Hey gusy, im about to start the box build for my sa-12 and im just looking for a little help since its going to be my first real box build. I've came up with a design, but i used the RE box calculator to do so,which i've heard isn't all the accurate, so i was just wondering if someone could check the numbers for me.

Heres the dimensions- 24" wide by 14" tall by 15" deep. the port is 2" wide with a length of 16". RE says that the box is 1.72 cubes at 32.8hz with 25in of port.

Anybody willing to check this for me? Thanks

Edited by Dobber

wow..tunings off a little huh? what program are you using for that?

That would be Torres' calc, available here -> Torres' box calc

I didnt spend much time, only plugged box volume and port size into winisd, but 1.72 cubes of air space with a 2"x12.5" port needs the port to be 30 inches long to be tuned to 33.

well guys, ive been messing with the Torres' calculator for about an hour now, and i must be doing something wrong. i cant seem to find i good box design that is around 1.75-2 cubes tuned around 30-32hz with enough port area. so would anyone be willing to try to throw a quick design together for me? thanks in advance. and the max dimensions would be around a height 14, width of 30 and depth of 20-22.thanks again.

You are missing "Desired Net Volume" ;)

I have an already done design for a SA-12. But it is with a kerfed port and flushed baffle. If you can make the kerfing, maybe just copy my box. :shrug:

PM me for the other dimensions.

I have an already done design for a SA-12. But it is with a kerfed port and flushed baffle. If you can make the kerfing, maybe just copy my box. :shrug:

i wish i could do the kerfing..but don't quite have enough experience with building boxes for that yet. looks like a pretty sweet box though .how much do you think the tuning would change if you didn't have the kerf?

http://www.soundsolu...perly-done-box/

i wish i could do the kerfing..but don't quite have enough experience with building boxes for that yet. looks like a pretty sweet box though .how much do you think the tuning would change if you didn't have the kerf?

That's kinda my first box and I am going with kerfing even tho it's hard. :)

I have no idea on tuning.

Look here http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/downloads/enclosure-designs.html . There is a box for a 12, 1.75 cub ft, 30 hz.

your on brave man haha..i would possibly think about doing the kerfing, but i dont have a table saw. so its kind of out of the question.

thanks for the link to that box. that just might work :)

your on brave man haha..i would possibly think about doing the kerfing, but i dont have a table saw. so its kind of out of the question.

thanks for the link to that box. that just might work :)

Look at my thread again. Sometimes brave isn't enough I guess. lol

I don't use a table saw for the kerf because it has no settings to lower the disk. I used an electric hand saw.

I was going to use the same box, but the decided to go with kerf and flushed driver.

Edited by The enD

dang man. that sucks. the cuts looked like they were a little to far spaced out. maybe try it with them a little closer together? or it could just be the massive size of your pictures that is making look like there to far spaced out haha.

Half an inch space :/

maybe try it with the cuts a little closer?

No, that will effect the flare radius.

Half an inch space :/

maybe try it with the cuts a little closer?

No, that will effect the flare radius.

couldnt you just do more cuts then to get the radius to where you want it to be?

Look at my thread again. Sometimes brave isn't enough I guess. lol

I don't use a table saw for the kerf because it has no settings to lower the disk. I used an electric hand saw.

I was going to use the same box, but the decided to go with kerf and flushed driver.

you saying you have a tablesaw that you cant lower the blade on? I dont think Ive ever seen one yet that you couldnt lower the blade. I think even my dads old craftman from way back when a "portable" saw weighed 150+lbs, still had adjustable blade depth.

It is a home made one. Not everyone is rich like you guys in The States. ;)

There was no use for it to be lower back then, so that's how it was made. Cheap and simple.

raise the table with a jig....;) little extra work, but it will work....

or if you can get ahold of it...get some wiggle board, bends GREAT, but you usually have to 'glass it to give it real strength...

It is a home made one. Not everyone is rich like you guys in The States. ;)

There was no use for it to be lower back then, so that's how it was made. Cheap and simple.