noidle22

sax 100.4 stereo 1.33 or 2 ohms?

hi, i was wondering if a sax 100.4 could withstand 1.33 ohms or 2 ohms in bridged stereo mode. my plan was to initially run 4 sets of components off each channel, but due to space limitations that i've decided i can't be bothered worrying about and the fact that the speakers will be underpowered i've decided to run 3 sets. if 1.33 will kill it, will 2 ohms be ok? the manual says to use 4 ohms in bridged stereo mode but my current amplifiers are cheapies off ebay which are running 2 ohms in bridged stereo and haven't had any problems.

thanks

You won't have a problem underpowering, it won't like 2 ohms though, at least not forever.

Obviously if those were the only options I would choose 2ohm, understand she will draw some current like that the more you crank the gain an volume so give her the power she needs and it should be fine, if you turn the volume up and it clicks off, into protect she aint liking it and you will have to go another route, its going to be more of trial and error.

There is no such thing as "under powering".

There is a problem running an amp below it's rated impedance. I mean stuff besides the obvious shutting down. Distortion gets much worse, efficiency goes in the pooper and a myriad of other things start to behave bad as well.

Buy a second amp and run them within specifications.

i see. i developed another plan last night, i will still run the 4 sets on each channel, but 2 sets will be going in the back doors. in terms of the trial and error method, i'm not willing to risk that as it costs me $200 to ship the amp to Australia, so that's around $500 for 1 amp, that also rules out the option of buying a second amp. i'm not rolling in money right now, i just try to save as much as i can for life things and the car.

@95Honda, i've been running 2 amplifiers for about 6 months on 2 and 1.33 ohms daily, gains aren't cranked and they've never shut off no matter how hard i've pushed them, is this merely my luck at not having dodgy amps? because they're fairly no-name brands off ebay, one cost me $50 and the other was $150. in terms of heat output at high volumes, it's a little more than usual but nothing that causes any protection to come into play.

but owing to the fact that i'd rather not risk an amp that's cost me $500 i'll just be safe rather than sorry.

thanks guys

The actual impedance isn't probably as low as you think, that is why the amps are tolerating it. That, or they are very tolerant of low impedance loads.... Either way, I would still be wary running those type of loads....

Why you need so many component sets ... 1 set for front / 1 set for rear ... amp sees a 4 ohm load ... no problem ... ??