mclarengts

SAX-1200D blowing fuses

So Yesterday I went to my authorized Sundown Dealor, and got the SAX-1200D. Today I had it installed on my BL. So whenever the gain is turned up past half way it blows all the fuses!! Has anyone had a suimilar problem.. I know sundown is good stuff, so I will be sticking with them, but I want to get full use out of this amp. so will be taking it back in the AM. but I love the sound that im getting

thanks

What does your electrical consist of, what size wiring on amp? Make sure your wiring is tight and not loose, try turning your gain down? What preout voltage is your headunit?

What does your electrical consist of, what size wiring on amp? Make sure your wiring is tight and not loose, try turning your gain down? What preout voltage is your headunit?

Hello, I have a Dodge Charger SRT. I have the Factory Navi head unit. My power and ground wiring are both 0gauge. With the gain down the amp works fine. but shouldnt the amp be able to have the gain turned up? I dont know what the preout voltage is. let me got to my car forum, and ill find out..

thanks for your help

Just cause the gain can go all the way up doesnt mean turn it up that high, it should match the output voltage of the source (headunit).

Just cause the gain can go all the way up doesnt mean turn it up that high, it should match the output voltage of the source (headunit).

I am not doubting what you are saying, and its probably right... But I have no clue what you are saying....lol.lol that went right over my head..lol

So if the output voltage of the headunit and the gain dont match, would that cause fuses to blow??

what size fuses are you talking about, the ones on the headunit? i blew fuses on my distro block up to about 50amp, which is what i figured was about right for the 1200D.

thats pretty odd then, i have my 1200 cranked max gain/subsonic/bass boost, and i've only blown my AGU fuses up to 50amp, never the ones in the amp itself.

How is your amp wired, to the head unit or an inline converter?

To explain the pre-out voltage that was mentioned earlier, think of it like so..

The Head Unit (stock radio) gives out a certain amount of power (pre-out voltage i.e. 2v 4v 6v 8v) if your Head Unit gives out 2v and your setting your amp to 5v...

Do you see the issue at hand?

thats pretty odd then, i have my 1200 cranked max gain/subsonic/bass boost, and i've only blown my AGU fuses up to 50amp, never the ones in the amp itself.

you will be having more of a problem than the OP soon enough. :WTFBubble:

why do you have the SSF maxed? :ughdunno:

you will be having more of a problem than the OP soon enough. :WTFBubble:

why do you have the SSF maxed? :ughdunno:

He has a topic thoroughly explaining that one.. you should go check it out. Pretty interesting

Fuses blow when too much current is drawn -- therefore you must be clipping the amp pretty extensively and drawing excessive current to blow the fuses as they will handle what the amp is supposed to produce no problem.

For reference... gain is not a volume knob. If you have a decent head unit RCA voltage it probably doesn't need to be turned even half way up to produce full output.

So I have my stock headunitl, and no battery.. I'm I correct in say that maybe when the gain is up it pulling to much power?

Also would something like the Rockford Fosgate 360 and a extra battery help correct this issue?

Since the gain is not to get full output, how do I know I'd I'm getting the full 1200 rms, or full output?

Perhaps give this a read?

You can use a DMM to get an idea of your source signals voltage...More than likely there's no reason to go past half on the gain.

What is your amp grounded to?

you said you're running stock head unit? does that mean you're using a line out convertor (LOC) ?

Yes it does have a line out converter...

Well I believe I found the issue, the bass boost was all the way up and the sub sonic was up too, so we turned them both down, things are wayyy better.

When I'm ready beating I still get voltage drop into the 12s high 11s, I will be adding a batt, and big 3. This cars main batt is in the trunk so I have to figure out what wires go where for the big 3..

So my amp just cut out due to heat (I was jamming) so what do you guys do to keep your amps cool. I have a spacer to keep the amp raised off the seat for air flow.. I'm thinking adding a fan..

How exactly are all of your knobs set now ? Honestly it's not easy to thermal protect one of those amps -- especially this time of year. Likely clipping is still present.

If bass boost isn't yet all the way down -- turn it the test of the way down.

Running your amp wide open "jamming" like that with drops down to the 11's will make your amp get pretty steamy.

you should check the output voltage of your LOC. they have some settings that control it, which means you'll need to adjust your gain to match.

use some fans like this! notice push and pull method across the heat sink

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

How exactly are all of your knobs set now ? Honestly it's not easy to thermal protect one of those amps -- especially this time of year. Likely clipping is still present.

If bass boost isn't yet all the way down -- turn it the test of the way down.

Well I will have to check when I get home to see exactly how it's set up, but a estimate would be that the bass boost it pretty much if not all the way down. If it's not, I'll make sure it is! The gain is about 3/4 of the way up. Now what exactly is clipping??? I went to the shop that did the install, and the LOC is about 1-2volts..