Sign in to follow this  
shakes

Which double din headunit...

I recently purchased a new tow vehicle and I'd like to put some variation of sound in it. It has a double din dash so I figure I'd go with a double din head unit. I'm really not sure exactly what options I want besides 3 sets 4v preouts, USB and most likely blue tooth, I'd like to spend under $300 if possible but I'm not completely against spending more.

Pretty vague I know, just looking for people's experience and what not.

This will be my next double din Alpine iXA-W407. Alpine

No DVD though Idevice/ Usb media.

This will be my next double din Alpine iXA-W407. Alpine

No DVD though Idevice/ Usb media.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I own a lot of CD's. I don't think that would be the right one for me. :ughdunno:

Thanks though, any other suggestions?

One thing that stopped me from getting a double din was that I don't have an alarm and most double units don't have a detachable face, something to keep in mind

I was looking into a jvc kw-xr810 because it had a lot of cool features at a reasonable price. Only downside was you needed to take up one of the two USB ports for the Bluetooth dongle(included with the stereo) but hey I'm all about my iPod for my music so I really only needed one port free anyways.

One thing that stopped me from getting a double din was that I don't have an alarm and most double units don't have a detachable face, something to keep in mind

I was looking into a jvc kw-xr810 because it had a lot of cool features at a reasonable price. Only downside was you needed to take up one of the two USB ports for the Bluetooth dongle(included with the stereo) but hey I'm all about my iPod for my music so I really only needed one port free anyways.

It crossed my mind, but I'm not too worried, it's not a daily driver, I'll be using it to tow cars for work and to tow my car to the track. It's a 1 ton extended van so it's pretty high up for someone to just look right in and not exactly first on a thief's list to check out.

I'll look into the JVC, the USB port being taken up doesn't bother me, I don't have an iPod.

I love my iPod, it's the only way I can fit all my CDs in my pocket... I'm even posting from it right now

and don't feel too old fashoned, my dad still rolls around with a glovebox full of cassette tapes.... Hope you find what you're looking for

You can check out the pioneer avh-3200bt. Or something like that. On ebay they're going just over 300. Can find them used 2-250.

I was looking into picking one up soon.

if your going to go with a pioneer i would go with the AVH-P4200DVD it may not have bluetooth but it boosts a bigger screen an looks ALOT sleeker with the buttons on the bottom. and you can get them for $380. for the price i dont think you could beat it with the eq's and crap it has.

I do like the prices and features on those Pioneers. Only problem is I'd kind of like to have a remote. haha, I've become used to being lazy.

i have a jvc kw -avx800 and i really like it.. it was one of the only ones at the time that had like 5 volt pre outs.. most were like 2 volt... my kid has a pioneer in his car and the jvc is so much nicer in how it works and the features... i am not a jvc fan.. but there double din head units i really like... and there eq's are nice compard to my kids pioneer... just my 2 cents

Higher voltage pre outs means a cleaner and stronger signal which means that your amplifiers input voltage gain will be set lower, which in turn means that your amplifier wont have to work as hard to produce the same sound. kind of means something to me....

Higher voltage pre outs means a cleaner and stronger signal which means that your amplifiers input voltage gain will be set lower, which in turn means that your amplifier wont have to work as hard to produce the same sound. kind of means something to me....

Yeah, but 5v preouts are more or less a marketing gimmick.