First off, i got this radio from my brother for finishing his basement so i have no actual booklet. i have downloaded the 177 page owners manual from Pioneer.

i just installed the radio today in my 2004 Blazer and love it so far but... i am running component speakers and a subwoofer. i hooked it up like the manual told me to but i can't turn the sub off or fade it out. i turn it to the sub setting and try to turn it off and nothing happens, i still get bass.

also, does anyone know where to get the microphone so i can time align the system? i'm going to be running the tweeters and mids active soon but i don't want to try and deal with that if i don't have the right tools.

if i came off as an a$$, sorry, i'm frustrated

Does it not turn off on the menu, or doers it show it as off, but it's not actually turning it off?

I would venture to say you have it hooked up to the wrong RCAs if this is the case.

Agree with Ryan above, it should just work. If it doesn't you probably have it connected wrong. That being said I have never used mine out of network mode but it was my understanding that it wouldn't effect the sub out either way.

As for the mic, you don't want one. Do it by measuring and then adjust by ear. The mic, like nearly all others, is a useless marketing gimic. I tried mine twice with complete horseshit results.

ok. i just checked and i have the RCA plugged into the low/subwoofer output at the unit and it still doesn't shut it off. i feel like an idiot because its not working... I turn it off on the HU but it doesn't turn off the sub.

i'm going from having a cheaper pioneer with the "basic" tunability to this and am very happy with it, i just wish i had the knowledge to figure it all out...

i'm going to go to my local shop tomorrow and talk to them about it. they are good guys and don't try to charge for the stupid stuff..

Edited by Mtopper

I miss read.

If you REALLY want one you can buy mine.

Take your time to read the manual.

A cheaper Pioneer h u will have quite the same menu, with less options.

Get used to this one. It's not that hard to control !

How did you set the little "knoob" on the outer case of the h u , before installing it ?

i already have the radio. and what knob are you talking about?

I think he means the switch on the side for standard or network mode.

No, I mean if you really want the microphone. You can buy the one I have.

No, I mean if you really want the microphone. You can buy the one I have.

You should know the answer to the question.

Anyway, it should be in there as one of the first options in the Audio menu, IIRC. I havent used one in a bit now.

ok, well after playing around with the radio and everything. i can turn the sub off from the headunit. ended up being a bad connection from the harness to the radio itself. i sat in a parking lot tonight and did a quick little tune and played with the time align. sounds better but still isn't there. then again, i'm running JL VR comps which aren't the greatest thing out there.

Thanks for the help guys. i'm happy i came over here

Nothing wrong with the JL VR Comps. My bet is that it is the install and not the speakers, but since you haven't shared what went into that we can't help fix it.

i wasn't necessarily asking help with the comps but here's what i have in my blazer

JL Audio 300/4

JL Audio 1000/1

JL Audio VR 650 CSI

JL Audio 12w7

i only bought the w7 while everything else was acquired through deals, work, and whatever else.

i have the VRs installed in the stock door panels and the tweeters in the door panel up by the handle aimed at the opposite seat. i love the woofer's response but the tweeter sounds very hollow to me. i was running the woofer active with the stock "tweeter" for a long time because i was busy and loved the response i got form the 6.5. but the moment i went passive and installed the tweeter i lost all midbass and the tweeter just sounded very hollow to me. another problem i have now is alternator whine through the tweeter. its high pitched and annoying. i have no idea why i have it. This is the first time i've ever used this much equipment in my own vehicle. i used to just do drop in speakers off the head unit with subs and call it a day but now i want to have a better more well rounded system and am running into problems....

Alternator whine? with a Pioneer ?

I had the same problem with my h u !!!

You must have touched something when you should not.

It looks like a pico fuse blown. Goggle it, you'll find dozens of topics about that.

3 solutions :

1) get some speaker wire to ground all th rca's output from your amp. Ground them to a solid point behing the h u.

2) open the h u and solder some wire to bypass the blown internal pico fuse.

3) change the blown fuse.

I tried the first solution and was happy with it, but after some times I wanted to get rid of all the noise.

So I found an electronics guy who knew that problem, and he replaced the fuse by some kind of low inductance wire (don't know if it is really that !!!), because I did not find a replacement fuse. and now I'm really happy !!!

Never touch the rca's or whatever, with the h u ON. Pioneer h u don't like that.

Turn off everything if you want to move wire or rca's.

Good luck !

Or a simple bad ground. Sounds like a bolt in place install which IS a problem. Don't blame the speakers, you put them in an environment where nothing can excel. Take some time and build a baffle, beef up your door, deaden some resonances and they will come to life. At the same time pull a fresh ground to your headunit and make sure all the other grounds are clean and secure. That should address your hum. The pico fuse isn't really that common, but depending on how you handled your install it could be the case.

after a lot of looking around at my amps, wires, speakers, and HU. turns out that it was my amp. the previous owner had replaced the set screws and they weren't conducting well. (or so i'm told). so i spent $5 at Home Depot and got replacements. the whine is completely gone and the speakers came alive.

when i installed the HU, i disconnected the battery, installed the radio, RCAs, and everything else. my truck is completely deadened using a ton of Raammat, Second Skin MLV and Ensolite. i have very very few rattles. they are coming from my passenger door where i broke 3 of the "christmas tree" pins. i'm replacing those this weekend.

I thank you guys for the help. i know cars are not the ideal environment to play music in, (i've done my share of reading over on DIYMA......) and i've come here to learn more of the big bass while still holding onto a certain level of clarity.

Beware of DIYMA, Ant scared away EVERYONE who knew anything and there is a bunch of shit information there now. :( Used to be a great forum.

thats exactly why i'm here now. there are a select few that i listen to and ask questions of. i'll comment here and there so that i can ask a question but i'm not a big fan anymore.

My tweeters are sounding better than before but still are a little to hollow for my liking. i had them taped up everywhere to try out different locations. i liked the sound of them in the A pillars but then there was a noticeable gap between them. So, i went and put them in the doors right near the release handle. they sound good there but aren't what i expected. i got them as a christmas gift about 2 years ago and don't feel bad replacing them or selling them. i eventually plan on 2 6.5s or 1 8 in the doors and a full range on the dash/pillar. that'll be next spring though because i have no room in our garage or house to do so and not get yelled at for the fumes of fiberglass.

I read this whole thread and all I could think about is how I was uber jealous that you got an 880 on the cheap.

I read this whole thread and all I could think about is how I was uber jealous that you got an 880 on the cheap.

define cheap? i built a 25' by 18' room in his basement including double hung drywall, 15 speaker wire runs, 12 wall sockets, 15 different light runs, and then the actual 20 Halo lights....

saved him 10 grand and he paid me with the 880 and 1000/1. but anyways, its a great radio. with my limited time to play with it, i still haven't used it to full capabilities and o wow does my music sound much better.

If you knew what I paid for mine with the iPod adapter. lol

oh, i have that too. i just don't have the plug for the power yet. :trippy:

oh, i have that too. i just don't have the plug for the power yet. :trippy:

Have you messed with the T/A yet?

Which you still owe some money for...

:rolleyes:

Which you still owe some money for...

:rolleyes:

Man, I paid you with the Asian Whore.