drewlrox

Fi sub as H/T sub?

Would it work out fine if i were to buy an BL or BTL, build an enclosure to spec, and power it with a crown amp or something or is that a dumb idea?

Great idea actually :)

Just to be sure, you are talking about ht as in movies right?if so, if you could try a infinite baffle setup,it would have great low end.

Yeah, for movies and music. I don't want infinite baffle. If i were to built the box to spec as the cut-sheets on this forum how would a bl perform ported @33 Hz in a home? just want it as a replacement for my dual MFW-15's. figured if i spend.... idk $1200 on bl, box, and amp it would be cheaper and outperform what i have now. What I have now is great but my mains still overpower my dual 15's :(

Yeah, for movies and music. I don't want infinite baffle. If i were to built the box to spec as the cut-sheets on this forum how would a bl perform ported @33 Hz in a home? just want it as a replacement for my dual MFW-15's. figured if i spend.... idk $1200 on bl, box, and amp it would be cheaper and outperform what i have now. What I have now is great but my mains still overpower my dual 15's :(

You need to tune much lower for movies, into high teens low 20's

I would tune more towards the mid 20's. 33hz would be lacking in movies. You could also run the risk of unloading because allot of movies have frequencies below 30 hz

Quite a few people with BTLs in HT applications with larger prosound amps on them. Work great. As Duran mentioned, you need to tune lower for bottom octave performance. Many on HT forums tune for low teens, but realistically in many applications its just not needed. Id rather tune to 20Hz, and still be able to get into upper teens (before subsonic filter cut off) and have 3dB more output, then 14 and suffer the losses in the 20-30Hz range.

Thanks,

Scott

That would be insane in a HT setup like to see build if you do bro need a little change around here :)

Although it is h/t I do listen to quite a bit of music too! I would say 40% movies 60% music, so do you think it would be best to tune it around 30Hz or should I go lower with it? Any amp recommendations?

I've got my BTL tuned to 15Hz personally :)

I have run my two SSD18's in my home theater, and it is just mind blowing. My first design was for one, and it was 8 cubes tuned to 20 hertz, and it was wicked, but I didn't notice a huge difference since going with my newest design, which is 6.75 per driver, tuned to 26 hertz.

Don't be afraid to experiment, if you like music and movies like I do, then tune it to the mid 20s and call it good.

I have run my two SSD18's in my home theater, and it is just mind blowing. My first design was for one, and it was 8 cubes tuned to 20 hertz, and it was wicked, but I didn't notice a huge difference since going with my newest design, which is 6.75 per driver, tuned to 26 hertz.

Don't be afraid to experiment, if you like music and movies like I do, then tune it to the mid 20s and call it good.

Useful advice!!! What type of amp do you use to push your subs?

I'd tune LOW. No point in having a driver with that capability and not doing a tune in the teens.

Its listed in my signature. I don't think everybody is down to run car amps in their home, but I have my amp running off a power converter and battery bank. I really need at least 4 batteries when I am drawing that much juice though. I only have two right now. Until I can drive again, I make it work out alright, my neighbors dont like me sometimes when I get a bit volume happy, though. I have had a guy 3 blocks away say that I was rattling his windows in his house. :)

Its listed in my signature. I don't think everybody is down to run car amps in their home, but I have my amp running off a power converter and battery bank. I really need at least 4 batteries when I am drawing that much juice though. I only have two right now. Until I can drive again, I make it work out alright, my neighbors dont like me sometimes when I get a bit volume happy, though. I have had a guy 3 blocks away say that I was rattling his windows in his house. :)

Haha niceee, i used to have a rockford fosgate bunch 800a2 running in my house, and yeah its a pain in the ass to power it. i wanna make this a permanent h/t sub do i definately want a 120v amp.

You cold get 2 Dayton 1000 watt amps, one for each coil, but they are a little pricy

Your looking at about 600 bucks an amp for 1000 watts. Also, they are only stable to 4 ohm, so keep that in mind when deciding your wiring options. A pro amp might be a better option for you.

Your looking at about 600 bucks an amp for 1000 watts. Also, they are only stable to 4 ohm, so keep that in mind when deciding your wiring options. A pro amp might be a better option for you.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx i was considiring this, what other equipment would i need for xover, subsonic and other things i would need along those lines?

If you tune low like 15-20Hz, I wouldn't worry too much about a SSF.

If you run it off the sub preout on your reciever, you shouldn't need a crossover. Depending on the model of your receiver, you MIGHT (maybe, maybe not, its model dependent, it seems) need something like a Samson S-Convert to run between the sub pre-out, and the amp, if you go with the EP4000. It's a good idea to have anyway, since it also has gain matching circuitry, and you dont have to make or buy an RCA to XLR cable... There is a lot of info on the DIY Sub section over at the AVS forum about setting it all up as well. Here is a link to the Samson. I agree about the SSF, I have mine set at 10 hertz, only because I can't disable it on my amp, I highly doubt you will need it with that sub. I can't even bottom out my SSD's on subsonics with 3600 RMS to them, but it may be different with your amp, enclosure, and tuning.

Edited by The SSD Madman

How big should i build the enclosure? i would like to build off of a Fi Q 18" D2 tuned @ 23Hz

well if you have the space, 8 cubes @23 will work fine. I had one of my 18s in an 8@20 and it performed very nicely.