sundownz

Sundown X-8 Work in Progress

Developing a 600-watt RMS 8" woofer with fully custom frame, cone, surround, spider, etc...

Frame supports ~35mm one-way linear travel and the soft parts support that as well. Design is motor limited to 19mm linear one-way and 30mm before leaving the gap -- so it will be VERY difficult to reach mechanical limitations even by accident on SPL burps.

The soft parts, frame, and so forth are VERY over-engineered to support any future motor designs I may desire to produce... meaning you may see a true high linear stroke "SQ" style design with these parts later on -- but first we are staying true to Sundown heritage and designing a super rugged "daily" woofer that will produce excellent SPL numbers as well.

The frame by itself :

8inch_Frame_Updates.jpg

The frame with cone, dust cap, and surround :

Ultra-8_Cone.jpg

The frame with cone, dust cap, surround, AND spider :

Ultra-8_Spider.jpg

Surround will be stitched to cone for further resistance to damage in extreme applications.

Yes -- we will be eventually making this style driver in bigger sizes... the 8" is coming first as I really felt the NEED for better platforms as I've been severely limited with existing frames in this size.

hottness!

I made a new thread specifically for the X-8 platform as the other thread was mainly for the frame and also discussed the NEO-8 (the NEO-8 platform will be worked on further once the X-8 is done and in production).

Looks like this will be a very well built sturdy driver. I am excited about the specifications based on this design but a larger size, such as a 15".

Very Sexy!!! Can't wait to see the results of this creation!!

i hope that 15's are in the near future,.. i have been sitting back and waiting for that pefect sub.. and i like where this is headed!

Well if these aren't ready in the next 3 years I will be bringing this thread back.

Well if these aren't ready in the next 3 years I will be bringing this thread back.

Haha - okay :)

Lots of things have changed since 2007 -- we are much more capable of bringing new products out faster than back then.

I think the surround needs to be a little higher roll...:D

I think the surround needs to be a little higher roll...:D

We went all out :) This surround is *linear* for 35mm one-way -- so had to be pretty large. The max capacity of both the spider and surround are actually beyond 35mm but they remain linear up until that point.

We are finalizing some drawings right now... may even beef up the motor even more than we have been thinking about prior -- why not go crazy, huh ?

More information to come soon -- hold onto your seats !

What What What!!!!!!!!

Jacob should invest in hanes or something so when everyone makes sticky in their pants from unpacking his product, or merely seeing the leaked photes of protos he has coverage! :wub:

Jake, is the spider going to resemble the one in the drawing? Is it a new tooling your working on as well?

Jake, is the spider going to resemble the one in the drawing? Is it a new tooling your working on as well?

Yes and yes... the frame, cone, surround, spider, triple joint ring, and dust cap are all new toolings for this driver.

Yes and yes... the frame, cone, surround, spider, triple joint ring, and dust cap are all new toolings for this driver.

Holy crap man what are you doing up this late? I guess the rumors are true, that the Sundown mad scientist doesn't sleep! :lol: