sundownz

Sundown X-8 Work in Progress

Not for me its 12:42pm right now in lovely Iraq :( Jacob any idea when we will see an actual built woofer of these pics?

lol its 4 in nc and your up dinkin on the puter?

Yah I was :) Had to look over drawings of the new eight, of course!

Not for me its 12:42pm right now in lovely Iraq :( Jacob any idea when we will see an actual built woofer of these pics?

All drawings and designs must be completed, then tooling must be made, then a sample...

Earliest 60 days for a sample from here.

After some long hours... the final driver design is completed:

X8_Complete.jpg

One cosmetic element that is experimental... vertical logo on magnet boot. Should we do that or the horizontal logos like we are doing now ?

This is a HUGE motor... it is larger than the SA-10/12/15 motor. No joke :)

To follow a newly designed driver I think a new logo on the magnet looks great.

looks awesome & original ! :fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

especially like the new basket design , tired of seeing that ancient 12 spoke basket on everybody's subs

Is the magnet going to be bigger than the upcoming t3 8"? That would be nuts!

Yes, alot bigger.

That final drawing looks great! Love the new spider and basket!

I prefer the orginal Sundown logo on the magnet boot! Especially with such a large motor!

I cant even wait for this preorder to start. im all over it like fat kid on cake! :wub:

Yes, alot bigger.

Like I said that is nuts. I am very anxious to see this bad boy. I might just have to buy one for shits and giggles and build an ABC enclosure for it :attempt:

I like the new logo...

and this sub looks awesome but... not to be rude or anything, is there really a market for monster 8's? or is it just cheaper/easier to design a prototype/manufacture a bunch of test pieces in a smaller size and then you will use the same design style to build the larger models?

i don't believe i have ever seen anyone use a tall surround with a single spider that has such deep rolls. most would use dual spiders with a spacer to combat coil rock which is usually prone with tall narrow surrounds.

i like seeing someone willing to spend the time and money to try something different. most companies would instantly scoff at the idea instead of trying it.

I like the new logo...

and this sub looks awesome but... not to be rude or anything, is there really a market for monster 8's? or is it just cheaper/easier to design a prototype/manufacture a bunch of test pieces in a smaller size and then you will use the same design style to build the larger models?

The way it looks the SA-8 was a huge hit and with other 8's coming out I'm sure it says something for how well ridiculous 8's sell.

I like the new logo...

It is cheaper to tool the 8" parts than larger parts.

As for the market -- it's there. The SA-8 has sold *extremely* well -- beyond any of my expectations.

i don't believe i have ever seen anyone use a tall surround with a single spider that has such deep rolls. most would use dual spiders with a spacer to combat coil rock which is usually prone with tall narrow surrounds.

i like seeing someone willing to spend the time and money to try something different. most companies would instantly scoff at the idea instead of trying it.

Both the surround and spider are made from thick and strong materials -- they have alot of lateral stability built into them.

The surround is also still wider than it is tall at 24mm tall x 28mm wide -- this is quite similar to our SA-12 surround which is 21mm tall x 28mm wide. Being attached to an 8" frame makes it look super tall in the rendering, but it's really not unusually tall.

As for not using spaced spiders -- we have 52.0mm from surround landing to spider landing vs. 44.0mm from spider landing to top plate -- the larger top distance provides more stability.

We have been working on 8s for quite some time -- starting with the E8... and I've never been totally happy working with a stock frame. So I've now decided to do something about it :fing34:

That looks great! Love the image of it, what is the motor diameter?

It is a 200mm diameter motor -- only 20mm narrower than our Nightshade / Z v.2 motors.

Jacob, any idea of box recomendions? im currently working on one thats about 2.4 cubes for my current 4 sa-8s and will be surly stepping up to these when they come out. would that be ideal for the X-8s on a saz3K :morepower1:

Estimated mounting depth is 6.83" currently... so it's a bit of a monster in physical size as well.

Jacob, any idea of box recomendions? im currently working on one thats about 2.4 cubes for my current 4 sa-8s and will be surly stepping up to these when they come out. would that be ideal for the X-8s on a saz3K :morepower1:

My initial thought is anywhere from 0.6 to 1.2 cubes vented... but testing will be done to see how it stacks up in reality.

You will need to cut the holes out larger for these if the box was made for SA-8s, FYI.