Shogen

CDT Component Setup

Alright, so here we go..

I want to upgrade my front stage while waiting on the Icon sub I have coming sometime this month.(already ordered)

What I want to do it get rid of my Alpine 6x9s I have in the front doors and eliminate that horrid speaker the factory Toyota calls a "tweeter" ...

I've somewhat bugged //M5 already and instead of continuing to fill his inbox I will give the SSA community a chance to jump in..

So I had found this chart: http://www.listenhear.co.uk/general_acoustics.htm

I asked //M5 and he already stated that it is a decent chart but needs somewhat more range.

So what my goal is and obviously this could be the wrong way in approaching it, but I hope to purchase some components that can cover almost a majority of that range without breaking the bank or windows.. I am only looking for it to be loud inside my vehicle and to be able to keep volume loudness with the Icon I will be installing soon hopefully.

Info:

1. My budget as far as the set goes is $200 - $250. $300 means I need to get a better present for the lady for Xmas so lets keep it at $250.

a. I will be mounting the set in my doors with some modification to the skin(sheet metal that the door panel mounts onto) in order to get them in properly.

b. If it will be somewhat better for imaging to mount higher in the door panel or dash let me know how well that works with keeping the mid inside the door cuz I have heard a few negatives about putting distance(more that 6-8 inches) between the tweet and mid...

3. I will continue to use my current amp, a Kenwood 60x4 cheapy(but solid built) but I am also looking into the Crescendo 1000C4.

4. This is going into a 2003 Toyota Camry.

The sets I have looked into were:

(these are in order of what I'm leaning towards)

1. CDT CL-61A.2-25 PRO @ $169

Reasons: It is actually under the $200 range, runs at 2ohms which will pull a little more juice from any amp I use, and has a glorious 3yr warranty which feels kinda nice.

2. Image Dynamics CTX65CS @ $189

Reasons: Heard alot of great things about build quality and sound quality, price of course is great for me, and power seems to be somewhat on par with the CDTs.

3. DLS MS5A @ $219

Reasons: Older buddy of mine who is into home audio has a few sets of bookshelfs and towers which sounded amazing and one set, the Ultimate series which I don't really want to spend the money on. Anyway, they sounded really good but again I think he paid $400 for his particular set.

Side note: I was thinking about being ghetto and just throwing tweets in the dash and leaving the Alpine 6x9s in the doors just to give some better extension which I know is WRONG but I was thinking this. Luckily I take too long and think too much to just ghetto rig things up..

Help me SSA!!! I want my car to sound better.

p.s. - If you have other equivalent or better recommendations then please give them to me. I am all ears and could care less about doing more research.

bump cuz I'm impatient... lol

bump... cuz I'm annoying. :)

bump... before bed... lol

No need to bump your own thread, someone will chime in just give it a few days since the weekend is ending. Thanks

How about something from the Bravox line from the SSA Store? That is if anything is left from the Group Buy pricing.

My bad bout bumping the thread. Was just messing about. I was looking at Bravox but there isn't a lot to choose from and not my first choices.

DLS would be a great choice or look into the AA Carbons and tweets.

You misunderstood my response and the other thread completely. ALL component sets will cover the audible frequency range. In the thread where this came up the discussion was not finding a comp set to do it but a single midrange that was ultra efficient.

From your post I do not understand your goals. And perhaps a better couple of questions for you to answer anyways are what have YOU heard that you like? Why not buy those?

Well, my goal is to purchase a set of components that can reproduce music loudly and clearly. I don't like the sound of my Alpines as they are harsh at louder volumes and at lower the vocals seem to be competing with the low end that the 6x9s I have are producing. So I pretty much know any component set is made to work together for a whole/complete sound but I want something that can do this even when I pump the volume past 50%...

So basically, loud and clear.. and one set so I don't have to work harder to set it up. Also, I want it to be able to for it to blend a bit with the Icon I will eventually get from SSA.

If that doesn't make sense, then I don't know what does. The other thread mainly was looking for something to compete with insanely loud subwoofers, which I will not even own or want.

And perhaps a better couple of questions for you to answer anyways are what have YOU heard that you like? Why not buy those?

My badd, missed that.... So yea, the DLS components sounded great but I don't think I'll be purchasing the $400 set he most likely has. Kinda makes me think the ones below that won't sound as good. Plus I've only heard his set about 2 - 3 times a while back... But maybe I should go for the DLS set and bridge my 4ch amp and give them the 150watts my amp can give. sound like a good idea //M5??

So I have yet to decide on speakers.. During this time though, I been thinking about creating a proper space for the speakers to go(whichever I pick)... So I figured this location might do:

door_possible_mod.jpg

Thought is to jigsaw that shape out and make an insert in that shape that would mount to the door inner skin. Think of it like a picture frame mold... So it would be a generic rectangle shape and I would create a mount panel for the set of speakers that would mount to that frame I created...

Hopefully this wack ass picture will help you visualize my ideas:

door_possible_mod_key.jpg

Again in that price range you should really use your ears. I currently have no idea what you like and don't and the difference between all lower end sets will be rather extreme, but subjectively you may like some way better than others.

Thanks... I really would like a possible suggestion that actually sounds "decent" by your standards within $200-$300 price range... Like lets say your brother who likes car audio but doesn't go deep and he wanted you to recommend an awesome set that are pretty "all around" sets so to speak.. I know I might be asking for some punishment from you for asking in that manner but it seems what you like and what you think are pieces of "shit" by your standards are worlds apart. So lets make a suggestion?? I don't need accurate reproduction like I would ask of a stereo setup for music/instrumentals/vocals... I just need clarity and volume.... If you could provide 2 or 3 possible sets... or if you already know 1 set that would be a worthwhile purchase for starting audio(front stage) then please point me to the right direction... I really hate doing the vs bull shit threads which I am trying to avoid.. So just giving me a real solid model that would be entertaining for genre between rap, salsa, and some r&b... The word PLEASE be nice comes to mind when you read this .... :peepwall:

Lets see, you refuse to answer my question and then expect me to answer yours? Stop being a lazy ass. It would be really, really, really stupid for you to want what I want as we have WAY different needs.

Wait... which question?? I'm kinda lost your last post didn't have one.. Unless you're talking about what I have heard that I liked... Honestly, the only set worth mentioning I thought were the DLS ... But I had owned some Kenwood Excelons about 8yrs ago and thought they were pretty sick... But I cannot use my ears from 8yrs... So, yea...

I'm lost... DLS and blah... I really have no other reference... So I was hoping you would just let me be lazy and just throw some models that an untrained ear would be able to enjoy...

I can't even really use the DLS I did hear as reference either because I don't even know what he was using to power it and I only know he had a Pioneer HU... I'm kinda stuck... I don't wanna just buy random shyt obviously... Unless it comes highly recommended and even then I have to reason with the opinions that are given... So my badd, I thought you might give me a starting point besides listen to my ears... I don't even have any real place to go and "audition" the sets .. Best Buy is not exactly where I wanna go to pick up audio... :suicide-santa:

I am done visiting your thread. I asked you something very simple and you ignored it completely and even argued and still can't follow the simple noob guidelines. If that is the amount of respect you have for the board then I will return the favor.

I wasn't arguing though... And I seriously though I had answered your question. Honestly don't know which question was being asked either.... As far as noob guidelines go though I realize it wasn't following to a "T" but I thought I knew what I wanted and it seemed I didn't. But I really don't get why couldn't provide a suggestion based off the information given. I thought it was clear but then you told me it wasn't and I still have yet to understand what you exactly want from my information, is what I said wrong or misleading or non-descriptive? I wanted a "decent" solution for component set, that could provide good all around sound. Meaning, nice mid and highs that don't sound muddy or distorted at higher volumes. Is that not making sense or even the right thing to ask for? It seems as though I am trying to answer you without know what you are asking.

Can I get it in plain English? Maybe I misread your posts or didn't get it... If you wanted to help, which it seems as though you do, then I can make it easier if you ask a straight up question.. Like, what sounded good to you about the DLS or what kind of sound is good to you? If you would like to continue to help me then I will answer anything you ask or give the information needed if I didn't originally.. I don't know all codes... :suicide-santa:

EDIT: I re-read what I posted last and I don't see what you see.... No argumentative intentions whatsoever ...

Edited by Shogen

Alright, so here we go..

I want to upgrade my front stage while waiting on the Icon sub I have coming sometime this month.(already ordered)

What I want to do it get rid of my Alpine 6x9s I have in the front doors and eliminate that horrid speaker the factory Toyota calls a "tweeter" ...

I've somewhat bugged //M5 already and instead of continuing to fill his inbox I will give the SSA community a chance to jump in..

So I had found this chart: http://www.listenhear.co.uk/general_acoustics.htm

I asked //M5 and he already stated that it is a decent chart but needs somewhat more range.

So what my goal is and obviously this could be the wrong way in approaching it, but I hope to purchase some components that can cover almost a majority of that range without breaking the bank or windows.. I am only looking for it to be loud inside my vehicle and to be able to keep volume loudness with the Icon I will be installing soon hopefully.

Info:

1. My budget as far as the set goes is $200 - $250. $300 means I need to get a better present for the lady for Xmas so lets keep it at $250.

a. I will be mounting the set in my doors with some modification to the skin(sheet metal that the door panel mounts onto) in order to get them in properly.

b. If it will be somewhat better for imaging to mount higher in the door panel or dash let me know how well that works with keeping the mid inside the door cuz I have heard a few negatives about putting distance(more that 6-8 inches) between the tweet and mid...

3. I will continue to use my current amp, a Kenwood 60x4 cheapy(but solid built) but I am also looking into the Crescendo 1000C4.

4. This is going into a 2003 Toyota Camry.

The sets I have looked into were:

(these are in order of what I'm leaning towards)

1. CDT CL-61A.2-25 PRO @ $169

Reasons: It is actually under the $200 range, runs at 2ohms which will pull a little more juice from any amp I use, and has a glorious 3yr warranty which feels kinda nice.

2. Image Dynamics CTX65CS @ $189

Reasons: Heard alot of great things about build quality and sound quality, price of course is great for me, and power seems to be somewhat on par with the CDTs.

3. DLS MS5A @ $219

Reasons: Older buddy of mine who is into home audio has a few sets of bookshelfs and towers which sounded amazing and one set, the Ultimate series which I don't really want to spend the money on. Anyway, they sounded really good but again I think he paid $400 for his particular set.

Side note: I was thinking about being ghetto and just throwing tweets in the dash and leaving the Alpine 6x9s in the doors just to give some better extension which I know is WRONG but I was thinking this. Luckily I take too long and think too much to just ghetto rig things up..

Help me SSA!!! I want my car to sound better.

p.s. - If you have other equivalent or better recommendations then please give them to me. I am all ears and could care less about doing more research.

I have some cdts euro i bought for like 170 they sound alright kind of muddy,i dont think ill be buying any more cdts..

focals sound rather good but only the 300 dollar ones, and you cant go wrong with type-r's!

image dynamics are good haven't heard personally, but have heard good things..

You remember exactly what set you have? Just curious..

Dude just check out your local car audio dealer and ask to hear some sets of components.

i didnt like the CDTs one bit.

i didnt like the CDTs one bit.

I agree.. I have this set http://www.woofersetc.com/p3341/EF61FG--CDT-Audio-EuroFrame-65"-2-Way-Component-Speaker-System.htm

when i first got them i was playing some music for about 20 min and then the crossover popped as i was driving stinking my car to shit and scaring me.. well i sent it in and they did fix it no problem.. now today i was driving and the other one finally popped, stunk up my car again and scared the shit out of me... Im glad it was just the crossovers not my new amp or subs!! Also I am, and never was impressed with the SQ of these speakers they sound like shit.. very muddy and not clean!!I want some Focals!!!