camusmuse

Advice/input on Eclipse SW8122DVC system design

To port or not to port, that is the question  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which one??

Relatively new to these kind of speakers(power hungry, big foam, high excursion monsters). Used to my old Orions and JBL GTI(the real ole ones that were based on pro drivers).

Anyway, picked up a pair of these Eclipse SW8122DVC...spec sheet here(found in a different thread on this forum....TYVM)

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoy/pdfs/Eclipse_spkr_manual.pdf

The sheet seems to call for a sealed box.....but I have a feeling that a slotted port might be a good option too.

I am shooting for a SQ system(yes I read here that there is no such thing as """""SQL"""""....lol, and I get the point, but I have had plenty of SQ systems that got REAL loud....sorry, it was back before everyone and their brother had a spl meter...but easily loud enough to make your ears hurt). Anyway...I am planning on running a 2 of these 12"s each with their own Autotek 7600 bridged and the subs DVCs run in series at 8 ohms. The front stage will be 8"s in the door(Autotek 7300 in stereo), along with dual 3" speakers in a pseudo horizontal d'appalito(sp)array with an Orion nt 1 in the middle, all on an Autotek 7204 (four channels). As for the amp overkill.....what can I say....I like my "headroom", plus by overpowering....at low volumes(90% of listening time) I can keep the amps closer to Class A.

Car is a 98 Lincoln MKVIII....I know that keeping the front stage in the stock locatiion is horrible...but I will also be running an AudioControl DQXS..so I will have some time alignment capabilities. Being stealth and keeping the interior stock looking is very important to me too....

Subs will be in trunk, facing forward with about 4 inches of space between the box and the back of the seat. Will also pull the rear arm rest down, and do a cutout for a pseudo port(kinda making it a band pass....kinda). Done the same before in my old Taurus SHO and it worked pretty good.

So basically....what is everyone's opinion on whether I should run sealed or ported on the subs? The 8"s will probably be run down to around 80hz...have to see how they tune to the door before I know for sure.

This aint my first rodeo, and have several box design programs, but I feel that real world experience is just as important.

Stage one will be getting the wiring run, but keeping stock headunit and stock mids/highs, and just running the subs off a PAC line level convertor....if it sounds respectable....then I will move on to the full install.

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by camusmuse

Everything I have read in the past said sealed on these.