slim142

Knukonceptz or Welding Supplies?

I will be getting a new car soon. I honestly dont want to use my current 4 gauge as it limits me to <1300rms

I want to go straight to zero gauge so I dont have to worry about the wire in the future.

I wanted to go for Kicker, but wire is wire and Knukonceptz seems to have a good reputation here and seems to be cheaper.

I also heard about Welding Supplies, they seem like another good option.

However, I recently read a thread were one of the wires (dont know if Knukonceptz or Welding) was made of CCA (copper covered aluminum I believe). All I remember was that CCA wire should be avoided.

So now I ask, which one is the one to go for? I really cant make a mistake since I'll be buying a decent amount of wiring.

Also, I thought about running 2/0 (NOT 2 gauge), but I was told it was overkill. If I wanted to use 2/0, I should use it for the Big 3 only. Any thoughts here?

Edited by slim142

looking in on getting new wire here too!

Edited by ManRossDamn

Welding cable is OFC, while the cheaper Knu wire is CCA, the most expensive Knu is OFC, but it's about $3.50/foot where most welding cable is arounf $2.50/foot, the only difference is the jacket.

Here is the thread comparing the two: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=685837

Many more strands in Knu Koncepts though.

That's the route I would be going.

Not exactly, even if you take that into consideration, strand count only matters for flexibility, and welding cable is still just as flexable.

Not exactly, even if you take that into consideration, strand count only matters for flexibility, and welding cable is still just as flexable.

Strand count is more important then that, the electrons flow OVER the wire, so the more wire there is to flow over, the more energy that will be transferee faster.

the electrons flow OVER the wire, so the more wire there is to flow over, the more energy that will be transferee faster.

WRONG information there. Skin effect only shows on AC and you would need to isolate the strands to benefit.

Check out some penetration examples:

skineffect.jpg

On wires used in DC applications strand count matters for flexibility. Do you install and uninstall the wire 3-4 times / day ?

I can tie a knot with welding wire. I've subjected the insulation to ridiculous heat. The car-audio insulation started to melt, while the welding wire insulation was still ok.

Any logical reason to buy car audio wire ?

I've subjected the insulation to ridiculous heat. The car-audio insulation started to melt, while the welding wire insulation was still ok.

Any logical reason to buy car audio wire ?

Good point, i've had problems with knu wire jackets melting while soldering terminals. no matter how careful i am. I would suggest the welding wire over knu, believing Adrian on his heat test. And you will save $$$, which is always good.

Adrian is 100% correct. I have not been impressed with one thing I have ever bought or installed from Knu.

The only reason to spend more is to say you spent more.

Welding wire FTW!

Ok so I want to have something clear.

Knukonceptz does NOT use pure copper on their cables. I should AVOID them if I want the BEST efficiency right?

After a quick look, I want to get this for my Big 3, Amp power wire and ground wires

http://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/spider.pl?304-1330B||1|146|

Is that one right?

Ok so I want to have something clear.

Knukonceptz does NOT use pure copper on their cables. I should AVOID them if I want the BEST efficiency right?

After a quick look, I want to get this for my Big 3, Amp power wire and ground wires

http://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/spider.pl?304-1330B||1|146|

Is that one right?

If you look at Knu's website you will see that they offer different kinds of wires. some of them are pure copper, and others aren't.

Here's a good story.... Local stereo shop likes to brag about having the best products around and such. Also they like to marke everything up to MSRP.

Well I did an install for a friend and we used welding cable throughout for power, ground and big 3.

We went to a comp at a neighboring town and the local shop guys come over to see the install and said wow you're using that cheap crappy welding cable? We were like yea it's copper, flexible jacket and is half the price of the so called "Car Audio" wire you sell. All he could say was "good luck, cuz you know you're going to have major voltage drop with that wire?"

I was like :WTFBubble: !

Walked away and had to laugh!

So KnuKonceptz Oxygen Free wire is actually the "good" wire from them.

I guess I could use 2/0 from welding for the big 3 and 1/0 oxygen free from knukonceptz for the power and ground.

But then the problem is that 1/0 oxygen free from knu is $3.40 while 2/0 from welding is $2.95

I might as well just do 2/0 all around

I upgraded from 4g (CCA) wire to 1/0 welding cable when I got a larger system, and I've been 100% satisfied with mine. Only thing I can see that CA wire has an advantage over the welding cable is looks. Welding cable jacket is ugly and dull.. but who cares right? 90% of it is hidden anyway.. My vote goes towards getting welding cable all around and just tossing the idea of the Knu. It's going to be cheaper that way and more efficient.

I upgraded from 4g (CCA) wire to 1/0 welding cable when I got a larger system, and I've been 100% satisfied with mine. Only thing I can see that CA wire has an advantage over the welding cable is looks. Welding cable jacket is ugly and dull.. but who cares right? 90% of it is hidden anyway.. My vote goes towards getting welding cable all around and just tossing the idea of the Knu. It's going to be cheaper that way and more efficient.

Yep, you are right

I mean, Im also upgrading from 4 gauge to 2/0 and since this is something I dont want to be upgrading later on and is pretty much as important as the other factors in the system, I might as well just go for the best performing wire.

I think 2/0 welding will be great for my system. Wont have to worry about getting a thicker wire later on or not been 70% efficient because of CCA>

"Car audio" power wire is a joke...