lildragon45

Help choosing sub replacement for 2 JL 12W0

So I need help choosing a subwoofer for my manager's car. He has a 2008 Civic 4dr with 2 JL Audio 12W0 in a vented box running off a JL J2.500 amp. He is selling off the subs and box due to the size, it takes half his trunk space (almost no room for golf clubs). He wants to have similar amount of bass in a smaller package and listens from rock to rap music 50/50 SPL SQ. I need some suggestions on what might be good choices to run off 500RMS @ 2ohms (thats what I have to work with).

His current subs (http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=93261/1451.0.1.1)

Here are some of my choices I am looking at so far and am thinking sealed. Also the enclosure build will probally be from Argent Audio. Also budget is under $200 for the sub(s)

Let me know your suggestions and maybe why you would recommend it. Thank you...

10" RE Audio SEx D4 ($160)

Sundown Audio SA-8 or 10 ($130 - $180)

2 10" RE Audio REx's ($50 each $100 total)

SSA DCON 10 ($115)

Any others I should try to look at???

LilDragon's Current Audio Setup

98 Honda Accord LX

Alpine CDA 9886

Cadence CWM-6Kit & ZX-691

Cadence Z4000

RE Audio SE10 D2/Vented Box 1.25cu 33 Hz Tuning

US AMPS MD1D

Stinger/Lightning Audio RCA's

Edited by LilDragon

Out of what you have listed, the DCON is what I would go with. The DCON is a small power beast and is built and backed by some great people!

DCON 12 ported

I say a Fi SSD.

Just my opinion : a single SA 12" ported or Fi ssd 12" ported too.

:morepower1:

I would go with an Fi or SSA 12" myself, they are some beautifully built speakers, for a great price. In a well built box, they will get ridiculously loud and sound great doing it.

I would go with an Fi or SSA 12" myself, they are some beautifully built speakers, for a great price. In a well built box, they will get ridiculously loud and sound great doing it.

So mainly DCON or SA so far, I looked into the Fi SSD and it takes 800RMS. I don't think the amp will push it well. Is that correct?

Also everyone is mainly saying 12", is it going to be a big difference between a single 12 vs 10? Trying to save as much trunk space as possible. Also looks like every one is leaning on the ported side as well.

No one here likes the RE's anymore? I remember when all the forums use to be about RE's...

How about Skar Audio VVX-12 $169 ( I havent heard much on this sub though) or a Fi X?

Edited by LilDragon

So mainly DCON or SA so far, I looked into the Fi SSD and it takes 800RMS. I don't think the amp will push it well. Is that correct?

Also everyone is mainly saying 12", is it going to be a big difference between a single 12 vs 10? Trying to save as much trunk space as possible. Also looks like every one is leaning on the ported side as well.

No one here likes the RE's anymore? I remember when all the forums use to be about RE's...

How about Skar Audio VVX-12 $169 ( I havent heard much on this sub though) or a Fi X?

a 10" in an optimal box will out perform a 12" in a cramped box any day. A 10" driver such as a Dcon in an optimal ported enclosure will sound great on low power. Not much space needed.

Since RE started adding "X's" to everything, all their subs have gone :bull: People used to talk about them all the time because their old drivers were awesome, and now their new generations are just watered down budget made drivers.

As far as the Skars, they are pretty new to the game.. not many people with personal experience. But made around the same people affiliated with SSA (Mark etc...).

Fi X would be a nice choice as well for a low price. For low power and space, I'd vote between a 10" Dcon or X in a ported enclosure on about ~300 watts and call it a day.

no such thing as under powering man. RE is shit now days. probably not much output difference, if any, to the ear between a 10 vs 12. if your trying to save maximum space and go ported id vote SA-8. for a 10" sub its pretty much a toss up, alot of great subs mentioned. personally i like the DCON because their dead sexy.... and shallower then some of the others mentioned like the ssd i believe. cant go wrong

RE's are still better than most mainstream companies, I woned the REx 12's before and they were the best 120 dollars I spent hit very hard and didn't require a huge amp nor a huge box just a plain ol sealed box I defanatly recommend them for 120...dollars..

a 10" in an optimal box will out perform a 12" in a cramped box any day. A 10" driver such as a Dcon in an optimal ported enclosure will sound great on low power. Not much space needed.

Since RE started adding "X's" to everything, all their subs have gone :bull: People used to talk about them all the time because their old drivers were awesome, and now their new generations are just watered down budget made drivers.

As far as the Skars, they are pretty new to the game.. not many people with personal experience. But made around the same people affiliated with SSA (Mark etc...).

Fi X would be a nice choice as well for a low price. For low power and space, I'd vote between a 10" Dcon or X in a ported enclosure on about ~300 watts and call it a day.

no such thing as under powering man. RE is shit now days. probably not much output difference, if any, to the ear between a 10 vs 12. if your trying to save maximum space and go ported id vote SA-8. for a 10" sub its pretty much a toss up, alot of great subs mentioned. personally i like the DCON because their dead sexy.... and shallower then some of the others mentioned like the ssd i believe. cant go wrong

Thanks everyone for the inputs so far. I think i'm going to have him go with the 10" DCON or SA-10 or Fi X ported.

Yeah I haven't got to hear any of the new RE's since they changed it to the x at the end. I am running one of the older models SE's when they still had the logo in the middle. With all this now I think I have to try a new setup on my car too...

The SA series subs dont require alot of space anyways, but all the listed subs will perform fairly well in small boxes with the power you have on hand.

I'd get an SSD 10", it'll still be under your $200 budget and outperform pretty much every woofer in it's price range.

The SSD's are a very efficient woofer (almost 92 db for the SSD18) With my pair running on even as little as 100-150 watts per driver, it will still pull hair tricks all day long... but there is a lot of cone area in play there. Every 6 db means around twice as loud to the ear, and that adds up, watt after watt. So don't let that sway you from going with the SSD lineup. I love mine!

Edited by The SSD Madman