camusmuse

Double Din Touch Screen Head Unit Recommendations

Though I have a ton of old Sony ES head gear in my collection, I have decided to go modern for my wife's ride, a 2003 Aviator. I am pretty much sold on a touch screen double din unit, but I have been out of the "game" for so long that I really dont know what is "quality" anymore. I have been looking hard at the Alpine INA-W900BT.....but it only has 2volt outs???

I plan on keeping the rest of the system stock for now, definitely want to retain steering wheel controls(I know the Alpine requires an additional module). Would eventually like to go with a full blown SQ all active system, so I want to plan for the future. Reliability is must as well....

My question is....what do you all like, and what are your experiences with these type of head units? I would love to get a Sony, but I have heard nothing good about them since they came out with the xplode line. It would be nice to use one of my old Sony changers if that is even possible. Yes I am stuck in the stone age, I still like my cds, but also want to run a flac or lossless input(i dont want to hear about mp3...lol....i CAN hear the difference there...).

Navigation seems to be included with everything, but I have it on my Crackberry so its not a big deal.

DVD also seems to be bundled with anything decent, but it wont get used much, would like to have AV out to maybe put a screen in the back someday though.

So again...what is thought to be a good if not great SQ double din touch screen head unit.

Any input would be appreciated...

2v is more than fine. You basically never use more than that even on the old Eclipse units that had 8v. On top of that what do you think the gain knob is for on the amp? Higher than 2v is NOT necessary.

The problem with the 900 is that it will not control the H701 for an active setup. You have to go to an older Alpine screen to do that. At the same time as far as I know there are no other screens that control off board processors that will really let you do that anyways.

I'd lean on an older 505 and get an H701 to go with it.

What do you think about the optional XA-H100? Also I will most likely be running an Audio Control DQXS for crossover, when the time comes. Are there any other advantages to the older units(components, specs)? I was really hoping to get new, (warranty and install....). How often do the older screens come up and what "conditions" to I need to look out for when buying used. I would imagine that touch screen wear is a problem.

The H100 is a shell of the former procs, really too bad as the IP to design/build the internals really didn't need to change but they decided that it didn't fit the market. Sad day in audio. The DQXS has nothing on the 701 and IMO controlling it from the dash is huge as it takes a long time to truly dial things in. Of course being the ladies car, not sure how much driver seat fiddling will happen but at the same time then I wonder about an active setup to begin with. Don't get me wrong, if my w were to ask for something that is what she'd get, but it is a valid question.

As for used and screen wear, that I cannot answer. I haven't seen any fail, but also don't see too many that are that old. I can say that I haven't read about a ton of failures, but that of course means nothing.

What are your thoughts on the Alpine 205?

This is for the wifey's winter vehicle, and mine during the summer....usually. I also have a MKVIII(Wifey's summer) and a Dodge Dually(she doesnt drive a stick... thank god....lol)....both also with double din. I am considering a touch screen for each of them....truthfully I drive the dually the most....so that might get the "best" system, but wouldnt mind starting with something a little cheaper like the 205 to see if I even like how they work. I know I have to get a bunch of add ons to get get the features of the 505 or the current models, but they are pretty inexpensive relatively speaking. Each system will be a "work in progress", done in stages...so I will see how they evolve....which has the best interior for "real" SQ and which ones just deserve a "good" SQ system.....

Think that would be a good place to start, the 205? I already have the DQXS(two actually)....so that will get first shot....

The H100 is a shell of the former procs, really too bad as the IP to design/build the internals really didn't need to change but they decided that it didn't fit the market. Sad day in audio. The DQXS has nothing on the 701 and IMO controlling it from the dash is huge as it takes a long time to truly dial things in. Of course being the ladies car, not sure how much driver seat fiddling will happen but at the same time then I wonder about an active setup to begin with. Don't get me wrong, if my w were to ask for something that is what she'd get, but it is a valid question.

As for used and screen wear, that I cannot answer. I haven't seen any fail, but also don't see too many that are that old. I can say that I haven't read about a ton of failures, but that of course means nothing.

Thanks for the info..but I got a feeling that its gonna be kinda pricey.....I'll still look into it though. Any particular advantages over other brands/models?

The new Pioneer Avics are really nice. I like my P4200 a lot.

I'd lean on an older 505 and get an H701 to go with it.

Had to take an electronic vacation so to speak....good for the soul(and the eyes))

Well ya talked me into it....got what I think to be a decent deal off fleabay for a complete system 505, 701, changer, nav unit, couple extra monitors......and a good weeks worth of reading in instruction manuals(good thing i suppose....read on.....)

Now for the kick in the nuts....the vehicle that this was supposed to go into decided to take a dump the day after I "won" the auction. In the shop now, most likely awaiting a new transmission(est. @ over $3k). So I got a big box full of cool gear and all the kits, steering wheel controls, and harnesses....and nothing to do with it. Oh well...I suppose it will give me some more time to think over system design and component placement. (and my sanity....lol)

I still would be interested in opinions of the "lessor" touchscreens, like the 205.....as I said....my others rides need love too....and well since they run and return that love, one of them might be getting the 505 system, and the tranny whore might have to wait.....lol. I mean the SUV.....NOT my wife....LOL, so glad she doesnt read this stuff....... :roflmao:

IIRC, the 205 will control the 701 as well and if so it will do everything you need although the older Blackbird Nav isn't quite like the modern ones. I'd easily make that trade for an effective control of my drivers though.

Conveniently for you the DQ's should be easy to sell. :)