lightingman117

Chevy Cavalier 04 Audio System Build Log

You did use glue with your box right? I didn't see any dripping glue anywhere.

I decided against it. I thought a leaky box was better :lol: ( I do not mean this in a sarcastic tone only meant to be humorous, Sorry If it comes across that way. I know I haven't built any sort of relationship to where you'd see it as humorous and not sarcastic in nature, but I've read so many threads where y'all are joking around, I figure I can try at this whole online forums humor game)

As to why there's no glue that was when I was just putting the box together for test fitting. I started work on screwing everything together first, so that I can take the screws out then glue it then screw it together without fumbling to drill out pieces while the glue is spreading everywhere. But i'm waiting on my mom to paint the box black before putting it together as the port will be unaccessible to paint once I'm done.

I'm not quite sure if I'll like the black with a silver car. Any suggestions there?

I decided against it. I thought a leaky box was better :lol: ( I do not mean this in a sarcastic tone only meant to be humorous, Sorry If it comes across that way. I know I haven't built any sort of relationship to where you'd see it as humorous and not sarcastic in nature, but I've read so many threads where y'all are joking around, I figure I can try at this whole online forums humor game)

As to why there's no glue that was when I was just putting the box together for test fitting. I started work on screwing everything together first, so that I can take the screws out then glue it then screw it together without fumbling to drill out pieces while the glue is spreading everywhere. But i'm waiting on my mom to paint the box black before putting it together as the port will be unaccessible to paint once I'm done.

I'm not quite sure if I'll like the black with a silver car. Any suggestions there?

Black carpet is alway nice, paint on MDF just looks like shit unless a professional does it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your mom can paint, what mom can't.. but carpet is a much better route.

Black carpet is alway nice, paint on MDF just looks like shit unless a professional does it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your mom can paint, what mom can't.. but carpet is a much better route.

I do like how the black came out on my amp rack, It was very pretty IMO. So get some cheap thin black carpet from Lowes or something and staple it to the MDF?

I do like how the black came out on my amp rack, It was very pretty IMO. So get some cheap thin black carpet from Lowes or something and staple it to the MDF?

Even a local audio shop should have some speaker box carpet for sale. Get Spray on glue from Home Depot, 3M spray on glue.

3M Super 77 and the 90 high strength works good for carpet to mdf, can be purchaseed at Lowes and Home Depot.

Shot of all my speakers.

12-3-10

20101128151536.jpg

Breaking in the subs at 28.1 Hz 3 sets of 10min

12-3-10

20101203135003.jpg

12-3-10

20101203135017.jpg

12-3-10

20101203135029.jpg

Excellent choice in drivers. ;) But talk about free-air!

Excellent choice in drivers. ;) But talk about free-air!

Haha yep, they are beautiful. I'm so glad I bought SSA and not some other crap..J and L + audio... I plan on doing a review once I put them in the box I'm building for them and hear them first hand. Hey, what's the tuning frequency of the optimal dual ported enclosure on the tech designs? I couldn't find it listed anywhere. Free-air yeah, I want to do everything right from the get-go, no cutting corners, no holding back. It almost sounds like an air compressor through very quiet, gives me a headache after awhile. Thanks for providing such quality hardware!

-Nathan

30-33hz is great for the Dcon's. :)

With the ID's have you thought about the option to mount the tweeter to the speaker? It makes it look like a 2-way, I used mine like that and they imaged fantasticly. Of course I had my good ol lil bro jlaine help me set that up. Still, something to think of for ease of install.

It is shown here.

With the ID's have you thought about the option to mount the tweeter to the speaker? It makes it look like a 2-way, I used mine like that and they imaged fantasticly. Of course I had my good ol lil bro jlaine help me set that up. Still, something to think of for ease of install.

It is shown here.

Oh wow, Never thought of that. I will definitely check to see if it sounds good there. It may leave my staging too low for my liking, but that's a great idea. Thanks a bunch!

that is what I thought at first too, but I was wrong. I loved those speakers so much I plan on using them again on my next project.

Know where I could get the adapters? I searched around and couldn't find them. Just call Image Dynamics?

Just for the record, JL isn't crap. May be over priced...

I'm still looking for the adapters for the co-ax tweeter mount. If/when I find them, I'll get them coming to you asap. I tried to find them before I sent them down, but I have a couple more places I can look. I'll see if I can find them this weekend for you.

As for the OEM's, they have less than a day of play time on them. I was going to use them in my truck (2 woofers per door) and I wanted to see how they sounded, so I put a pair in my MG to take a listen. They sounded pretty darn good in my opinion, I just didn't have a tweeter at the time that would mate well with them as a two way. When used as a straight midbass, those things should perform really well for you. Just be sure to seal the doors up as well as you can, and be sure to make a good, solid baffle to mount them to. After that, it should be all good.

Keep up the good work and be sure to take lots and lots of pics!

Just for the record, JL isn't crap. May be over priced...

You sir are in need of some Twistechild420, besides a good laughing fit; yeah I know, and I know better than to bash companies please accept my apologies. I just get sick of companies saying my 'sub can take 1200w' and overprice them out the wazoo. I'm just so happy to support people who don't charge an arm and my left lung for equipment. :ohsnap:

I'm still looking for the adapters for the co-ax tweeter mount. If/when I find them, I'll get them coming to you asap. I tried to find them before I sent them down, but I have a couple more places I can look. I'll see if I can find them this weekend for you.

As for the OEM's, they have less than a day of play time on them. I was going to use them in my truck (2 woofers per door) and I wanted to see how they sounded, so I put a pair in my MG to take a listen. They sounded pretty darn good in my opinion, I just didn't have a tweeter at the time that would mate well with them as a two way. When used as a straight midbass, those things should perform really well for you. Just be sure to seal the doors up as well as you can, and be sure to make a good, solid baffle to mount them to. After that, it should be all good.

Keep up the good work and be sure to take lots and lots of pics!

I didn't even know you had them or were looking them for me. Thanks so much! I plan on doubling up some 3/4" MDF for baffles mounting and sealing them to the door then using SDS to seal everything up. Something along these lines. Hopefully I wont be forced to make any boxes for them and the doors will hold the rear wave inside.

And I'll be sure to take at least as many as I am now if not more while the build progresses.

Now to buy some wire, sleep, make money for more car purchases, measure for SDS then buy deadener!

Know where I could get the adapters? I searched around and couldn't find them. Just call Image Dynamics?

Ya, I looked to see if I still had them, but I just have the "phase plug".

Ya, I looked to see if I still had them, but I just have the "phase plug".

Thanks, Richard called ID and now I have a set coming! Thanks. Now I can really try every combination of positions... yippee.

Well I got somewhere between 400 and 500' of 12awg sitting in my room now for the low, low price of 30 bucks!

Pics!

7-12-10

20101207220617.jpg

7-12-10

20101207220635.jpg

7-12-10

20101207220739.jpg

7-12-10

20101207220658.jpg

7-12-10

20101207220714.jpg

7-12-10

20101207220723.jpg

I did notice some corroding just a tiny bit between the insulation and copper. Hopefully that wont impact performance and since it's 12awg I don't think the copper will corrode anytime soon...

Anyways, more parts on their way! Wrapping up finals pretty soon. Then fabrication of doors, kicks, other stuff!!

Should be nice build.

I'd definitely look into mounting the tweeters up high, will help a lot with staging I hear. ;)

Should be nice build.

I'd definitely look into mounting the tweeters up high, will help a lot with staging I hear. ;)

Thanks, I plan on running through every combination I can to see how I like everything everywhere everyhow =D

Yours too! You got a nice build with some knowledgeable people helping you out!

So, I finally got around to getting something done. My box is done all glued and ready to go. Except for binding posts i'm still waiting on those which I'll get the subs in and everything will be done except for painting and carpeting. Hopefully today I can pull the doors off and maybe get the midbass installed. Not sure yet.

Anyways enjoy the short update. BTW I put the subs in it just to try it out (no glue) it was amazinggggg!!

12-11-12

gallery_13947_3_90878.jpg

12-11-12

gallery_13947_3_90878.jpg

12-11-12

gallery_13947_3_118975.jpg

12-11-12

gallery_13947_3_539500.jpg

12-11-12

gallery_13947_3_651268.jpg

12-11-12

gallery_13947_3_76578.jpg