Lschevy

DC or AQ subs

AQ subs are made for fart boxes. If that is your thing go for it, otherwise run like hell.

AQ subs need high tuning, so the DC subs would probably "hit the lows" better

Both of these are untrue.

They are not made for fart boxes in the least, they are just cheaper form of DD.

And as long as the box is correct, the AQ's can get just as low as the DC's in every way.

And I would dare say if you got the Aluminum coil AQ's, they would take much more abuse then the DC Lv4s would.

Edit: My typing fail.

AQ subs are made for fart boxes. If that is your thing go for it, otherwise run like hell.

They are not made for fart boxes in the least, they are just cheaper form of DD.

And as long as the box is correct, the AQ's can get just as low as the DD's in every way.

And I would dare say if you got the Aluminum coil AQ's, they would take much more abuse then the DC Lv4s would.

dun dun dun! :P Haven't played with either drivers, no input from me.

I have played with them, DD and AQ style woofers, with their very stiff suspensions and ultra light cones are MADE for burping, sure music works but they will not play like a conventional woofer, if you want it to play low, change the suspension and retune the enclosure.

And as long as the box is correct, the AQ's can get just as low as the DC's in every way.

Edit: My typing fail.

Obviously your idea of a fart box and mine are HUGELY different. Even in a real box the AQ's sounded like turds to me. Of course you sort of say the same thing, cheaper version of the DD.

It doesn't matter if I can throw a million watts at a woofer.. I'm concerned about how well it uses that power.. The hdc3 woofers' have extremely high inductance.. They're basically power hungry whores.

Either way id suggest Fi.. The DC stuff is old designs from RE that Scott later improved on..

Exactly as Julian said, Scott Atwell's designs from his RE days make them and the DC woofers kissing cousins, he has since improved upon the same designs in the Fi and AA lineup.

I have played with them, DD and AQ style woofers, with their very stiff suspensions and ultra light cones are MADE for burping, sure music works but they will not play like a conventional woofer, if you want it to play low, change the suspension and retune the enclosure.

I had a DD3518 in 9cubes tuned to 32hz. It dug all the way to 22 hz before I would start to worry about it. Btw, this was on a saz1500D at .5ohm. After taking everything into account and given the chance I may have chosen a different subwoofer for the goals that I set but the deal was too good to pass up and the results were nothing short of amazing IMHO. Point being that just stating that a certain subwoofer is garbage when you have probally never even owned one is not cool and very misleading to some of our more inexpirenced members. This wasn't directed toward you ,Duran, in any way. Just thought I would give you a case of the red ass lol.

I had a DD3518 in 9cubes tuned to 32hz. It dug all the way to 22 hz before I would start to worry about it. Btw, this was on a saz1500D at .5ohm. After taking everything into account and given the chance I may have chosen a different subwoofer for the goals that I set but the deal was too good to pass up and the results were nothing short of amazing IMHO. Point being that just stating that a certain subwoofer is garbage when you have probally never even owned one is not cool and very misleading to some of our more inexpirenced members. This wasn't directed toward you ,Duran, in any way. Just thought I would give you a case of the red ass lol.

The lower models aren't as SPL based as much, you also need to take into account you had it in 9 cubes, of course the low end will be more pronounced :)

All i have to say neo is the SH*T fi all the way!

I missed the budget, but noticed the power. 1 AA SMD could work for ya, since we're all giving opinions.

The lower models aren't as SPL based as much, you also need to take into account you had it in 9 cubes, of course the low end will be more pronounced :)

I wouldn't call a 3500 low end by any means. It's a single step below the 9500 series.

Which, Duran, you have seen Bret's videos, they get low and nasty.

Considering the FS in the specs I would lean towards the FI for the lows, but having owned both the AQ an the DC I would say go with where you get the best deal from. Although its suggested to tune the AQ higher it does tend to play lower, I tuned my AQ HDC12 at 36hz for daily and it did fine, it would play down to 32hz pretty well below that not much. The DC XL tuned at 36hz played down to 28hz fairly well, but I have rarely found much music that really plays below that anyways. I thought both sounded fine, but I always lean towards spl so I really dont have an ear for much else.

Fs alone does not dictate frequency response or tuning.

I understand that, but in part it does the Fs. A low Fs normally means a lower F3 which in terms is a deciding factor in efficiency does it not?

In my mind the FS is as follows, the point at which all the moving parts of the driver sympathize or resonate. Which means you will find it hard to produce lower frequencies than the driver’s fs. So a driver with an fs of 60 Hz will not produce 35 Hz very well. A driver with an fs of 32 Hz will produce 35 Hz better then a sub of a higher fs, so with that being said obviously a subs FS of 33hz is going to play 30hz better then a sub with an fs of 45hz right or wrong?

We all know a box is going to be a huge factor weather your using sealed, ported, bandpass.

Edited by jmanjr

I understand that, but in part it does the Fs. A low Fs normally means a lower F3 which in terms is a deciding factor in efficiency does it not?

In my mind the FS is as follows, the point at which all the moving parts of the driver sympathize or resonate. Which means you will find it hard to produce lower frequencies than the driver’s fs. So a driver with an fs of 60 Hz will not produce 35 Hz very well. A driver with an fs of 32 Hz will produce 35 Hz better then a sub of a higher fs, so with that being said obviously a subs FS of 33hz is going to play 30hz better then a sub with an fs of 45hz right or wrong?

We all know a box is going to be a huge factor weather your using sealed, ported, bandpass.

It's all enclosure dependent, F3 will vary with the enclosure and the woofer in the enclosure, remember Fs. is only the resonance of the suspension in an anechoic environment, which is very different than an enclosure in a vehicle. Never let that ALONE dictate woofer choice, yes it plays a part in response but by itself is not enough to rule out a woofer.

I wasnt ruling out a woofer, I was merely saying (personal opinion only with a fair amount of testing) in my 12inch test box <adjustable 6in aero tube> 1.5 after displacement cannon type design sub forward port backwards. I played around with both woofers ~HDC3 Copper Coil 12 D2 and the DC XL 12 d2~ Amp used was a first gen RD 3250 and with the box tuned at 40hz the DC played louder lower (louder being higher score on the TL) running a sweep from 35hz-55hz 75% max volume clamped around 2387watts then the Aq did, but in the upper Freq 40hz an up the Aq took over in score meaning the Aq was louder at the higher Freqs. Vehicle used was 2005 Ford Explorer. I tried several tunnings being 35hz-40hz-45hz-50hz my explorer peaks between 46hz-51hz depending cone area, power, volume, mic on dash vs in the kick. Does this mean the AQ cant play low NOPE, does this mean the DC cant play higher freq nope, just means in my test box the DC liked to player the lower freq better. If the OP plans on tuning dumb low then I would lean towards a woofer with a mid FS(30-35) with a well built box an its going to peg the lows with authority. Obviously Op is going to want to do a bit more research on both drivers as far as the specs go and see which one is going to fit the bill best meaning what fits the budget best, usable space in said vehicle, goals. I think either woofer honestly would satisfy the Op in a box optimally built for either woofer. The only sure way to find out is if you test them.

With that kind of power..look at BL's.

Also don't forget we've got a 4" coil BL coming out as well.

Of course. You and most others know that DD/Audioque subwoofers can and do get loud and low .I would agree with most and say that you won't be winning many SQ comps with A DD woofer (while possible, just not practical IMHO.) 80% install, 5% equipment, and 5% beer.

Should have been asked what kind of lows are you talking about some people think lows are 35-40hz and i like like mine 28-33 with max of 42

Should have been asked what kind of lows are you talking about some people think lows are 35-40hz and i like like mine 28-33 with max of 42

Obviously you are unfamiliar with what gets actually played in music....or listen to really ridiculous shit.

Obviously you are unfamiliar with what gets actually played in music....or listen to really ridiculous shit.

No im talking r n b and rap and slowed. tuned for 32hz.

Why is every dissing on AQ? They are amazing for the price, at least SPL wise, haven't heard any on music just burps, I know a guy with all AQ, 8800 watts, two of AQs best 15s in a wall, he hit 155 consistently at every comp I saw him at. Earned my respect

Price is the problem, think about it.

My 2 AQ 15s do fine on music daily. Everyone who has listened to my system hasn't complained either. Not the best but they get the job done. Especially for the price.