ONE15ISALLINEED

Signs of a bad amplifier ground?

Just recently i have experienced some problems with my system. 15" diamond audio hex pro & audioque 1200 (witch use to be a diamond audio 1200). At first i was experiencing a slight smell after a minute or so at loud volume. A friend of mine told me the capacitors in my diamond audio amp were frying. I then purchased a audioque 1200 and swapped it out with the diamond amp. At the first install the ground was bad so i moved it and scraped the paint. The slight smell came back even after switching the amps. I then started to experience the subwooofer fading in and out at times. One time it went completely silent and after turning the car on and off the sub came back on. It then again began to fade in and out to where i get no sound from the sub at all. Now what im wondering are what the possibilities are problem wise and what steps to take. Is the sub blown, is there a bad ground, rcas on head unit? The audioque's power indication light is on. Thanks for any replies

Well, first off easy thing is what was your voltage at? and was it going into protect?

Those amps don't do well on low voltage you need to get a digital volt meter and or a Stinger volt meter.

:peepwall: :peepwall:

Really?

what proof do u have that AQ amps dont do well at low voltages when that AQ amp is capable of running at a steady 8v.

What readily marketed amps do you see capable of doing that?

It sounds like either the sub is damaged, the amp install is not properly secure causing amp failure while driving around, remote turn on lead from headunit is faulty, rcas are faulty(and i'm not talking just about the cables either)

I have a strong feeling it was the sub burning, not the amplifiers.

another question. if for some accidental reason i wired from the amp to the box terminals the opposite way (positive to negative), would that fry the sub instantly or through time? i only experienced this problem through out a couple days. the thing is i dont have spring terminals they are bolts. its a dual 2 ohm wired to 1 ohm. im almost sure i have the wires right just have not took the time to take out and check it all

Edited by ONE15ISALLINEED

another question. if for some accidental reason i wired from the amp to the box terminals the opposite way (positive to negative), would that fry the sub instantly or through time? i only experienced this problem through out a couple days. the thing is i dont have spring terminals they are bolts. its a dual 2 ohm wired to 1 ohm. im almost sure i have the wires right just have not took the time to take out and check it all

If you mean you had the speaker wires hooked up backwards on the amp( pos. to neg. and neg. to pos.) no it wouldn't cause any damage.

You should have tried the sub wired both ways to see which way had more bass, less cancellation, but no damage would result from this.

If you had the coils wire opposite of each other the sub wouldn't have done much but heat up the coil.

do you have it wired (+) to (+) on sub to (+) on amp? same as negitive line also

Trouble shoot is your friend! Start from front to back and check all connections including RCA's.

watch the show as it developes, lol. I still have yet to check it all out. this setup is actually in my girlfriends car. Hard for me to find the time to look at it. Im just wondering if it reall is the sub that was burning. He clearly put his nose to the port on the box and then smelled the diamond amp and said the amp was burning up. he told me get a new one so i did and the smell is still there after some hard playing. once i dis mount the sub and check it out ill determine it.

well i took the sub out to check if the wires were connected inside maybe they were coming loose...they were intact...i also noticed when the amp is on theres a small airy noise coming from the speaker like a channel station that isnt coming in

i came to the conclusion that the voice coils burnt out. im now facing another problem. i still have my audioque 1200d installed. i now have a new atomic ap15 installed. i mounted in my box and went to wire it up. i then turned the car on to find that my amplifier is not turning on. why, i do not know. a week ago when i was doing testing it came right on and i have not touched it since. i checked my power wire fuse, good. i checked the amp fuses, good. possible wire shortage? remote wire problem? i have not had a problem with it not turning on at all. its very frustrating never had so many problems with a system before, thanks for help.

add on: if i had a band ground for my amp, would my amp power light even come on?

Edited by ONE15ISALLINEED