Aaron Clinton

Active Full Range driver application for in-car

I think the fullrangers are very cost effective route for what is acheived.

I found both 3"s on axis had the best FR, and was the most detailed in my ride. For me the cymbols are very clear, but don't contain the reverberation so sound alittle dry at times.

I think the farther you can mount the drivers away from any reflective surface, the better.

Do you mean the 1878's?

Just curious.

Do you mean the 1878's?

Just curious.

There were one of the ones I was peaking at: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-902s.pdf

I also think the only big drawback is getting them on axis.

I built about 10 sets of speakers when Adire was first building WR/FR 4.5" drivers (now CSS) and on axis they were pretty good. In fact, of the 6 or sets of the 2-ways I built with the WR drivers, if you covered the tweeter it didn't make w hole big difference on axis, but off axis, whoa... But I think this is to be expected really...

I haven't played with the Tangband FRs yet, but I have used a ton of the HIVI B3Ns, and those sounded pretty damn good also...

You still may need a crossover to tame some of the reponse irregularities of these little drivers, even though you are running them wide open... Check out what Zaph does for the B3N...

B3N

Yeah he's got them

In that case, IMO easiest thing to do is wire them up temporarily through the passive with the mid/tweeter roughly where you want them either velcro'd in place or propped up with a towel or something and listen to them. Then switch it over to active, run the dome without a lowpass and listen again and see what you think. Obviously it won't be perfect as the dome was probably not designed to be a true full range driver......but it will give you a quick-n-dirty difference.

See what you think. If it doesn't sound awful to you without the tweeter, then you should be good to proceed with finding a suitable full range driver.

Or PE has a Tymphany 2" full range driver for $9. So for $20 you could try it out compared to the 3-way just to see what you think of the differences.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-249&ctab=1#Tabs

In that case, IMO easiest thing to do is wire them up temporarily through the passive with the mid/tweeter roughly where you want them either velcro'd in place or propped up with a towel or something and listen to them. Then switch it over to active, run the dome without a lowpass and listen again and see what you think. Obviously it won't be perfect as the dome was probably not designed to be a true full range driver......but it will give you a quick-n-dirty difference.

See what you think. If it doesn't sound awful to you without the tweeter, then you should be good to proceed with finding a suitable full range driver.

Or PE has a Tymphany 2" full range driver for $9. So for $20 you could try it out compared to the 3-way just to see what you think of the differences.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-249&ctab=1#Tabs

Was actually thinking about buying some cheapies first. :)

I only have experience with the TB w3 bamboo drivers and the fountek FR88ex's.

I'm using the FR88ex's high passed at 200 hertz, 12db per oct., driven by a jl 300/2 .

I'm not going easy on them, power wise.

I don't know if the w3- 1878's are more like the w3-1364sa's or the FR88ex's as far as off axis response, but I'm using the FR88's at ~ 15 degrees off axis(in reference to both speakers) and I'm mostly happy with the top end.

I assume this is the difference between a speaker with a dustcap (dome) and a phase plug, I don't really know, but the w3-1964sa's definitely lost more top end off axis then the FR88's.

I looked at the w3-1878's and they have a very different, to me ,phase plug.

I'm curious to know how they perform off axis, on the top end, if you wind up trying them I'd love to hear your opinion of them.

In fact I'd like to hear your opinion of any wide-banders you try out.

The titanium coned models appeared to have a decent response curve too, but no idea of their on-axis. I am hoping to get cranking on the install here after turkey lurkey do.

Just in case you didn't know, Parts Express is 25% off all Tang Band speakers through Friday I believe.

The titanium coned models appeared to have a decent response curve too, but no idea of their on-axis. I am hoping to get cranking on the install here after turkey lurkey do.

Pretty much all fail at higher frequencies the more you get off axis. ;)

hmmm, interesting ... :popcorn:

What is interesting...

Just in case you didn't know, Parts Express is 25% off all Tang Band speakers through Friday I believe.

Damn you!! :lol2:

Well somebody has got to help throw a wrench in your plans, :suicide-santa: might as well be me. :doit:

Well somebody has got to help throw a wrench in your plans, :suicide-santa: might as well be me. :doit:

My justification now might be that if I decide not to use them in the car, I am ready for a BIB. :)