benz280se

how do u use the 2ohm x4 on amps???

i dont get how you are supposed to be able to use the two ohm option on most four channels amps. mostly the speakers usd for front stage come in 4ohm and they are not dvc so if i run them in parrallel two sets of speakers would be runnin at 1ohm each right? i know there are 2ohm 6.5 speakers out there but its like searchin for a ghost. and i have never seen a dvc 6.5. besides i have enough 6.5's layin around to last for a lifetime. so how do you get the most out of a four channel amp that does say 75x4 @4ohm and 125@2ohm?

Two svc 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel will give you a two ohm load.

Actually, to branch on to this topic, what about component sets, can two 4 ohm component sets be wired to 2 ohms?

You can bridge a 4ch to 2 ch and get the same power as running 4ch at 2 ohm, but most amps bridged are only 4 ohm stable.

Depends on what you are trying to do, What do you have?

AlenH,

Yes you can wire 2 sets of 4ohm component sets to 2 ohm.

The passive crossover makes it so the amp only "sees" one driver in the set at any given frequency. At high freqs the amp only "sees" the tweeter and likewise with the woofer at lower freqs. The drivers are effectively wired in parallel but the filter portion wired in series with each driver rises rapidly in impedance as the frequency moves away from the filter point. In the case of a low pass filter, for example, as the frequency rises from the filter point, the impedance of the filter itself moves toward infinity. For all intents and purposes it acts almost like an open circuit once the freq is far enough from the filter point.

i will be buying a crossfire vr404 and i was curious how to get the components to the right ohm load to get the power @2ohms. i know i could buy a bigger amp but i am trying to match my vr2000d with vr404. and it has proven near impossible to find any of the other vr amps at an affordable price if at all.

The passive crossover makes it so the amp only "sees" one driver in the set at any given frequency. At high freqs the amp only "sees" the tweeter and likewise with the woofer at lower freqs. The drivers are effectively wired in parallel but the filter portion wired in series with each driver rises rapidly in impedance as the frequency moves away from the filter point. In the case of a low pass filter, for example, as the frequency rises from the filter point, the impedance of the filter itself moves toward infinity. For all intents and purposes it acts almost like an open circuit once the freq is far enough from the filter point.

thanks but umm...what?

thanks but umm...what?

Indirect answer to this question

what about component sets, can two 4 ohm component sets be wired to 2 ohms?

ya know i appreciate the responses, even the ones i didn't understand lol. but i was trying to make things complicated and they didnt have to be. after i was reminded that 4ohm drops to 2ohm in parallel all i had to do was take my rear speakers and wire them with the front so instead of having fader front to rear i just have left and right. DUH?! :suicide-santa: there is no need to bridge them since the power can be had at 2ohm stereo.

Edited by benz280se

You realize that you're going to get more out of your amp by wiring each of your 4 speakers my wiring them to independent channels right? 125 watts @2 ohms means 125 watts total power for that channel, so if you're running 2 speakers off that one channel @ 2 ohms, each speaker is only seeing roughly 60 watts because the power (125 watts) is being shared between the 2 speakers as opposed to wiring each speaker to a single channel @ 4 ohms getting 75 watts total power. See what I'm saying? If you wire 4 speakers to 2 channels @ 2 ohms each, you'll be getting about 60 watts X4, but if you wire each speaker to it's own channel, you will be getting 75 watts X 4. :) Someone correct me if I've misread something and ranted off-topic..

i see what you are saying and that makes sense, didn't think about the peakers sharing the increased load between them. dammit i thought i had it figured out. anybody know of some 6.5's that come in two ohm?

If you wire your front and rear speakers to the same channels you will not have the ability to fade front to rear, if that matters to you.

no front to rear fade doesnt bother me. i was just trying to figure how to get more out of the amp without buying a more powerful one or buying more speakers is all. but it looks like the original setup is the best until i buy a bigger four channel.

no front to rear fade doesnt bother me. i was just trying to figure how to get more out of the amp without buying a more powerful one or buying more speakers is all. but it looks like the original setup is the best until i buy a bigger four channel.

I'm not sure if you mentioned what amp your using.... but I'd likely ignore the rms on mids / highs.

I'm using a Sundown Audio 50.4. It's running;

2 Polk Audio Component Sets

2 Polk Audio Coaxials

4 Selenium 6.5's

And 3 Eminence horn loaded tweeters

The amp pushes the speakers to their max.... to the point where you wouldn't want to turn it up anymore.

Two svc 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel will give you a two ohm load.

Actually, to branch on to this topic, what about component sets, can two 4 ohm component sets be wired to 2 ohms?

Yes, and yes. A passive crossover will reduce the load across the crossover point. So even though you have 2 4 ohm speakers, the 4 ohm load will remain constant at the handoff/crossover point.