emh9009

1991 Honda CRX Si

Recently i've decided to upgrade my front stage. I've thought about it for a year, but made the first move when my left speaker went out. When i bought the car a year and a half ago there were 4 speakers in the car. The front 2 5.25 were dead, beyond my understanding of why they were still in the car. The morning after i got the car home i took those out and put the rear 6.5s in the front doors. Still this didn't do much for the "music" they made. But i dealt with them 'till now.

Within a few months i got a new HU, the JVC KD-s100. I'm happy with it, it has all the features i needed at the time, but i plan to upgrade that in the future with more crossover settings, if possible. With this i was able to hook my sub amp up and put the 15 in, luckily enough it fit in the back. It was built for a trunk, so it's not the best box for a trunk... oh well.

Planned upgrades:

Solid 4 channel amp: The summer before i even bought the CRX i came across several deals to do with this. First was a guy on here that sold me a 75.4 kicker amp, brand new. Then Jacob started a trade in program, so i turned in the kicker and gave some cash up for the 100.4 that's in my car now. Sundown FTW!

Mids: My first plan was to get some MLi-65s from Mach 5 audio. But they were out of stock for do damn long (are they even stocked yet?) i started shopping for new mids. I wanted to do as little fab. work as possible, so i was stuck on 6.5s. After weeks of scrounging the internet for info on these i hit up a dealer on SSA and asked a few questions about them. The only thing holding me back was the price; there were nothing but positive reviews on these drivers, i figured they have to be worth the price.

Tweets: after seeing what everyone else was running their carbons at (~2500hz) i figured i needed a tweet that could play pretty low, while being able to perform on 4 ohms, to keep things simple. I kept coming back to the Seas Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" Textile Dome Tweeter. https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=1466 These can go all the way down to 2500khz! perfect!

Misc: You can't upgrade your front stage without a little deadening, so i sent Don at http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi to see what needs to be done. I couldn't really do the "whole meal deal" because of funds, so i did what was really bare minimum. I ordered 14 CLD tiles and a roll of extruded butyl rope. Doors will stripped and stuck.

On with some pics!

Car and a stock door.

dscf2392v.jpg

dscf2390.jpg

dscf2387o.jpg

There better be some 10"s or 12"s going into there!!!

I am truly jeleous. Greatest install car of all time IMO.

I have a pair of Mpyre Audio 65M mids if your interested.

More Pics!!

:drink40:

What subs? Amp?

Fi bl 15 fully loaded Sundown Audio SAZ-1500D 3.5 ft^3 tuned to 33 hertz

Bring on the front stage!!!!!

I just have to comment on the pristine quality of that car man... WTF! was that only garage kept???

damn dude, what a nice looking crx! never see them in that condition anymore.

to bad i have NEVER found an unmolested crx in that condition ever, let alone a si lol....im tuned in

:D i love my car! it's got it's flaws for sure, ill just let you guys think it's pristine ;)

Sefugi, you know me well. Either that or you can read sigs? haha

Bassahulic, i am def. set on 4 12s. Just not what brand. Fcon looks nice. And i still have no idea how to get them all to face forward :(

Thanks for all the comments!

you can get 4-12s to fire forward in there, just depends on what your willing to do. You know the humps (wheel wells) in the back area, the box has to be above that, its kind of hard to explain, but if you search around more even check out the usaci forum you will get a ton of ideas. Nice rex though!

you can get 4-12s to fire forward in there, just depends on what your willing to do. You know the humps (wheel wells) in the back area, the box has to be above that, its kind of hard to explain, but if you search around more even check out the usaci forum you will get a ton of ideas. Nice rex though!

I'll def. check that out. just seems like it's going to be too high. but what do i know, they're the pros! :D

Josh brown did it in his crx he competes in Sb3. As you know though obviously those guys are going to be a huge help. Ryan Mccue would be another guy to ask for ideas on a crx.

I doubt i'll ever be competing, i just want some loud(er) beats!

Only guy to talk to about CRX's on here is Sicweasel when he gets on.

And Find Matt Sibley on the USACi forum. His was LOUD. 162's.

i was leaning towards that. just thought it would be fun to get all of them facing forward, bassahaulic had mentioned that it's loudest with subs forward, port back. even for daily. and who wouldn't want to take advice like that?

i was leaning towards that. just thought it would be fun to get all of them facing forward, bassahaulic had mentioned that it's loudest with subs forward, port back. even for daily. and who wouldn't want to take advice like that?

I was told this by multiple CRX owners, and have seen it myself. :)

Sibley said he wouldve done a 64 if he hadnt got in a wreck in in his crx.

anything past 60 is crazy. i would be happy with high 40s, if i hit 50s (dont know how i would know, i need a meter..) that would be super sick.

For daily honestly subs up port back is plenty fine! Subs forward ports back does work rather were for numbers, but there is a new design even louder now days :peepwall: ryan mccue did 158 for 30 seconds 2-10s......

For daily honestly subs up port back is plenty fine! Subs forward ports back does work rather were for numbers, but there is a new design even louder now days :peepwall: ryan mccue did 158 for 30 seconds 2-10s......

Tubes? i want a box lol

At 60+ HZ?

I was at Finals this year, and I saw no CRX that made me go WOWWW.

You build to win at finals bottom line, you guys mentioned sibleys crx did it do it at 30-40hz nope....enough said. Bottom line is in a crx you can pull big numbers, you just have to invest time and testing. At lower freq you can do 150s all day with 4-12s and a fair amount of power, its just not going to be comp winning which is fine, because the OP isnt after that. I said it before I would do subs up port/ports back an you will be fine.