BanginGMC

A/V Suggestions on Room Entertainment

I am planning on finally stepping up the entertainment system in my room like i've planned for a while, this is going to be strictly for Gaming and Movies. Luckily for me, the foot print of the room isn't huge.. so a lot of big equipment won't be needed, I can get measurements of the room if necessary.

Before I get ahead of myself with listing equipment, right now I need suggestions on the following:

*Home Theater in a Box 7.1 or 5.1 surround system w/ a receiver to power them that's compatible with a gaming console such as an Xbox360 and PS3

(The budget is roughly 700.00)

*Projector with a really high resolution.

(The budget is roughly 1000.00)

*Projection Screen 50"+

(The budget is roughly 400.00)

Now, if i could get a great 50"+ TV for around the price of the Projector and screen put together, i'll definitely go with that.. seeing as mounting the projector will be tricky, but I am looking for the best bang for my buck

So generally the overall budget is roughly 2100.00 but as you can see I have a higher budget for whats more important to me in the build.. BUT if necessary, I will spend more.

One Projector I was looking at was Epson - PowerLite Home Cinema 8100 Projector

A motorized screen would be kick ass, but those can get expensive as i'm seeing on BestBuy.com. The lighting in the room can be completely dark ;) because i know sunlight can effect the picture on the screen.. but that isn't an issue here. The length I would be having the Projector on would vary from 1-8 hours at a time, possibly more if I pull an all nighter.

I have looked into TV's, but i haven't really been confident with my choices because i suck at buying TV's.

List of TV's from BestBuy.com i've been looking at.

I would like to buy locally, just in case something goes wrong I can return it to the store and talk to the people face to face.. but if not, that's okay too.

Also, for reference, games I play are the Call Of Duty's, and the volume would be more then halfway up as I play.. so the HTIB would have to be able to handle that.

Please let me know if I left any information out that would help you help me :)

Thanks,

Dom.

Dont really know alot about H/T setups except its the holidays and you might from some hell of a deal's on electronics specially Tv's so lookout for those type's of specials

Personaly, I think home built is always better and cheaper when it comes to home audio. If you can find some nice fullrangers , they could work prety well with music, movies, ect. If not, those paradigms that nem recomended look nice!

Home theater in a box :( :( :(

$700 for 5 speakers, a sub and a receiver is REALLY not going to cut it on the new market. You'd be WAY better off buying a good receiver and a set of bookshelves. You could use them as fronts now and then move them to the rear when more budget is available. Either way, even in that budget I'd be shopping your local Craigslist like hell.

$700 for 5 speakers, a sub and a receiver is REALLY not going to cut it on the new market. You'd be WAY better off buying a good receiver and a set of bookshelves. You could use them as fronts now and then move them to the rear when more budget is available. Either way, even in that budget I'd be shopping your local Craigslist like hell.

I've been looking at the HT-S9300THX

I've read almost 200 post on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057095&page=6 and they've all been great positive feed back on the older model HT-S9100THX.. so i'd imagine the newer model is better then that. I've been thinking about getting a Onkyo receiver and adding speakers like you've mentioned.. because HTIB speakers aren't the best but, i've read that the receiver in the S9300 is almost EXACTLY the same as the 606, it seems to have everything i need and it's about the same price as the S9300THX.. so i am thinking about getting the S9300 and then if needed upgrade the speakers later on.

I thought Plasmas are poo poo and LCD is the way to go, am i wrong?

I have a plasma and its great...you cant really tell the difference in LCD or plasma. Just like when you go to bestbuy in the T.V section can you tell?

I've read almost 200 post on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057095&page=6 and they've all been great positive feed back on the older model HT-S9100THX.. so i'd imagine the newer model is better then that. I've been thinking about getting a Onkyo receiver and adding speakers like you've mentioned.. because HTIB speakers aren't the best but, i've read that the receiver in the S9300 is almost EXACTLY the same as the 606, it seems to have everything i need and it's about the same price as the S9300THX.. so i am thinking about getting the S9300 and then if needed upgrade the speakers later on.

Positive feedback from those who know nothing about audio and have crappy hearing.

You also said it yourself, your room is too small for 7.1

In your budget 2 speakers will sound better than the 7.1 EASILY.

Yes, completely. Plenty of seriously kick ass Plasma's. However, HTIB also poo poo...that you didn't get right either.

I've read almost 200 post on http://www.avsforum....=1057095&page=6 and they've all been great positive feed back on the older model HT-S9100THX.. so i'd imagine the newer model is better then that. I've been thinking about getting a Onkyo receiver and adding speakers like you've mentioned.. because HTIB speakers aren't the best but, i've read that the receiver in the S9300 is almost EXACTLY the same as the 606, it seems to have everything i need and it's about the same price as the S9300THX.. so i am thinking about getting the S9300 and then if needed upgrade the speakers later on.

Positive feedback from those who know nothing about audio and have crappy hearing.

Yes, completely. Plenty of seriously kick ass Plasma's. However, HTIB also poo poo...that you didn't get right either.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

fing34.gif

in my Room i have a 300 dollar sony 5.1 surround system, it sounds great In my opinion... for my first home theater system it's not bad.. it has "auto calibration" which made things very easy.

If you're just an occasional user of a HT system, an AIO system will not disappoint unless it's some piece of shit.

I've read almost 200 post on http://www.avsforum....=1057095&page=6 and they've all been great positive feed back on the older model HT-S9100THX.. so i'd imagine the newer model is better then that. I've been thinking about getting a Onkyo receiver and adding speakers like you've mentioned.. because HTIB speakers aren't the best but, i've read that the receiver in the S9300 is almost EXACTLY the same as the 606, it seems to have everything i need and it's about the same price as the S9300THX.. so i am thinking about getting the S9300 and then if needed upgrade the speakers later on.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

fing34.gif

in my Room i have a 300 dollar sony 5.1 surround system, it sounds great In my opinion... for my first home theater system it's not bad.. it has "auto calibration" which made things very easy.

If you're just an occasional user of a HT system, an AIO system will not disappoint unless it's some piece of shit.

Pm'd

The only drawback with a plasma is power consumption.

My brothers 50" Panasonic is listed at 500 watts, I don't know what actually is.

My brothers 50" Panasonic is listed at 500 watts, I don't know what actually is.

That is something that i've read about plasmas while researching, but i have a decent sized house and i don't think it should be a problem.. assuming the electrical is beefy.

That is blown out of proportion as well, they use more power yes, but nothing like a toaster, microwave or other appliance. In fact much closer to an LCD, just more.

7.1 in that small of a room is absurd and anyone who tells you at that price a HTIB is a good solution has not done a comparison with spending the same budget just on two speakers and a receiver.

That is something that i've read about plasmas while researching, but i have a decent sized house and i don't think it should be a problem.. assuming the electrical is beefy.

I have 3 42" panasonic plasmas and my power use has not changed. Two of which are on all the time.

There is almost no downside to plasmas anymore.

There are many more upsides to owning a plasma than downsides. Everyone at the retailer I used to work at had a plasma except 1 guy, and his next TV is going to be a plasma. The LCD/LEDs are getting better, but I'd still rather own a plasma.

The only LCD/LED I would own would be a high end SONY LED tv, but those cost almost 5k and at that point, I'd find a used Pioneer Elite :)

Plasma FTMFW