Hell-Razor

DC Level 5 15"

I am using the CSI-DMR-2012A volt meter and I am trying to measure the impedance of my speaker. So I set it to the 200 setting (lower right hand side if you look at the picture) and touch the probes to the terminals and I get 4.0 - 4.2. This is a two ohm speaker so shouldn't I be getting half that?

If I did my research and talked with the right people I should be getting less than half of that current reading for a dual two ohm speaker. I liked this sub until I heard another and now I realize it does sound about half powered so something is wrong here...

Edited by Hell-Razor

Are you measuring directly at the terminals?

Your positive it's a D2?

You have had this sub for awhile now, hopefully you didnt mess something up. When you measured the voice coils did you still have the speaker wire in the terminals. If it is D2 ohm take the sub out of the box and make sure it is wired to one ohm like so:

1_2ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif .

Step1: Make sure you probes are reading accurate and touch the positive to the negative and see what it reads on the screen.

Step2: Then place the positive probe on the positive terminal on the sub and do the same for the negative probe on the negative terminal on the sub.

Step3: Read what your voltmeter says on the screen and subtract what you got from step 1 with this number and that is what your voice coils are reading.

You should be reading below 2 ohms per set of voice coils if you have a D2 subwoofer. If the sub sounds half powered it could be a combination of a lot of things. First your car and whoever else car you heard are different, sub setups are different, enclosure sizes are different,tuning frequency are different, electrical setups are different and more than likely amps are different. So saying you heard another sub and it sounds underpowered doesnt give us good information to help you out. Why do you think it is underpowered? You sure your electrical is up to par when playing at full tilt? Are your settings on your amplifier set correctly?

It was the volt meter. I am getting 1.98-2.1 now per terminal. I am glad I went out and got a new one! this one looks kind of beat up. Thanks jay.. And yes thats how I had it wired up

Ok just making sure, now that we now your wired to 1 ohm and your sub is reading right we need to see why you think it is being underpowered.