inkfx

Totaled my 2008 Grand Marquis LS

I'm glad to hear you are okay, but this is nobody's fault but your own. Man up. Are you kidding me that you are going to blame your own negligence on someone's inability to check a weather forecast or not dump water into the street? It's evident from your first post you were driving far too fast and not for the conditions. Use this as a learning experience. Seriously.

Have you ever hit ice before? Do you understand what happens when your tires hit ice? From the way you posted, it doesn't seem like this is the case. When my tires hit the ice, they began to spin. Now, keep in mind that my tires are spinning. So when I hit dry pavement, and my traction returned, my car accelerated uncontrollably. This is what sent me over the curb and into a light pole. I turned left onto the street where several apartment complexes are located. Not 50-ft from the turn is when I hit the ice. Everyone who knows me knows I drive SLOW. I was doing MAYBE 25mph, if that. I would honestly have had to been in a full acceleration to have been going any faster, which I most definitely was not. Also, I did check the weather. I knew it was going to be cold as shit. I also knew it wasn't going to rain meaning there shouldn't be ice on the ground However, I don't have control of an apartment complexes sprinkler system to shut it off when it may freeze. That is THEIR responsibility and hence why I claim negligence on their part.

Bro I live in DFW area, we see ice all the time especially when the weather drops (forget what state your in, if there is water on the ground and it sits with temperautes below 40 degress then it will freeze more than likely). That is pure common sense, in Texas we have to worry about Black Ice more than the Ice you can see so yeah it can be hard to see but if you know its cold out that night thats a given. I dont expect to see a sign or warning to let me know it is cold outside and the streets may possibly be frozen over with ice. If this were to be a real case then a number of people could file for the same thing, apartment complexes arent gonna change there timers for one night of freezing weather when there wasnt a freeze advisory put in warning. If you do take this to court just like another incident that happens on apartment property they will tell you to move in to a single family dwelling (house) to avoid things like this. Staying in an apartment you forfeit a lot of rights you think you have or what is ethical or not ethical, so remember that. Arguing with a apartment complex will leave you with a headache and wasted time, trust me been there.

I understand your upset and without a car (im in the same boat and feel your pain) but sometimes its nobody's fault.

I'm a LOT farther south than you are. Ice here is RARE. Cold weather here is RARE. You can't just go dumping copious amounts of water in the road and not expect there to be a problem. They are causing a hazard.

I'm glad to hear you are okay, but this is nobody's fault but your own. Man up. Are you kidding me that you are going to blame your own negligence on someone's inability to check a weather forecast or not dump water into the street? It's evident from your first post you were driving far too fast and not for the conditions. Use this as a learning experience. Seriously.

Have you ever hit ice before? Do you understand what happens when your tires hit ice? From the way you posted, it doesn't seem like this is the case. When my tires hit the ice, they began to spin. Now, keep in mind that my tires are spinning. So when I hit dry pavement, and my traction returned, my car accelerated uncontrollably. This is what sent me over the curb and into a light pole. I turned left onto the street where several apartment complexes are located. Not 50-ft from the turn is when I hit the ice. Everyone who knows me knows I drive SLOW. I was doing MAYBE 25mph, if that. I would honestly have had to been in a full acceleration to have been going any faster, which I most definitely was not. Also, I did check the weather. I knew it was going to be cold as shit. I also knew it wasn't going to rain meaning there shouldn't be ice on the ground However, I don't have control of an apartment complexes sprinkler system to shut it off when it may freeze. That is THEIR responsibility and hence why I claim negligence on their part.

One, I live in NW IN, so I am very familiar with adverse weather conditions. Two, when on ice and then going onto pavement where you get traction your car will not accelerate rapidly like what would cause your issue, especially if you had traction control and it was on. The traction control would have stopped the wheel spin since it was not relative to the front wheels. How do you explain that one? Are you going to sue Ford for the traction control malfunctioning. If you had common sense you would have realized your tires were spinning with a loss of traction and let off the gas instead of staying on it though the ice and onto the pavement again which is what caused your "rapid acceleration." BTW, if that thing got up to 25mph in 50 feet, you had your foot to the floor. Come on guy. 50 feet after a turn in an apartment complex going 25mph. . . That's just idiotic. BTW, you do know that the car's computer keeps a record of things such as throttle positions and wheel speeds and what not? Just think about it.

Sprinkler or no sprinkler, it is the DRIVER'S RESPONSIBILITY to be aware of all driving conditions at all time. Black ice or not, this is not the fault of the apartment complex.

Bro I live in DFW area, we see ice all the time especially when the weather drops (forget what state your in, if there is water on the ground and it sits with temperautes below 40 degress then it will freeze more than likely). That is pure common sense, in Texas we have to worry about Black Ice more than the Ice you can see so yeah it can be hard to see but if you know its cold out that night thats a given. I dont expect to see a sign or warning to let me know it is cold outside and the streets may possibly be frozen over with ice. If this were to be a real case then a number of people could file for the same thing, apartment complexes arent gonna change there timers for one night of freezing weather when there wasnt a freeze advisory put in warning. If you do take this to court just like another incident that happens on apartment property they will tell you to move in to a single family dwelling (house) to avoid things like this. Staying in an apartment you forfeit a lot of rights you think you have or what is ethical or not ethical, so remember that. Arguing with a apartment complex will leave you with a headache and wasted time, trust me been there.

I understand your upset and without a car (im in the same boat and feel your pain) but sometimes its nobody's fault.

I'm a LOT farther south than you are. Ice here is RARE. Cold weather here is RARE. You can't just go dumping copious amounts of water in the road and not expect there to be a problem. They are causing a hazard.

If there were "copioup amounts of water" in the street, it would have been clearly evident and you should have driven accordingly.

Sprinkler or no sprinkler, it is the DRIVER'S RESPONSIBILITY to be aware of all driving conditions at all time. Black ice or not, this is not the fault of the apartment complex.

Well said :captain:

One, I live in NW IN, so I am very familiar with adverse weather conditions. Two, when on ice and then going onto pavement where you get traction your car will not accelerate rapidly like what would cause your issue, especially if you had traction control and it was on. The traction control would have stopped the wheel spin since it was not relative to the front wheels. How do you explain that one? Are you going to sue Ford for the traction control malfunctioning. If you had common sense you would have realized your tires were spinning with a loss of traction and let off the gas instead of staying on it though the ice and onto the pavement again which is what caused your "rapid acceleration." BTW, if that thing got up to 25mph in 50 feet, you had your foot to the floor. Come on guy. 50 feet after a turn in an apartment complex going 25mph. . . That's just idiotic. BTW, you do know that the car's computer keeps a record of things such as throttle positions and wheel speeds and what not? Just think about it.

You're right, my computer does keep records and I count on that. Maybe I'm not getting my numbers correctly on everything. This shit all happened so quickly.

Well said :captain:

That's great and all but it's not legal for them to be pouring water in the street. That is my point. Especially in freezing conditions.

You also act like my traction control is the most amazing thing ever. It doesn't always work like you think it might.

Look man, we're just trying to help. It's easy to see through the BS. Any court or judge will see through it too. We've all made mistakes and been in denial. It's easy to place blame on others, but what does that do? You know deep down that you and only you are at fault. Just think about that one.

You're right. I was being crazy and mashed my gas trying to do a cool spin out at 2 am. I drive a Grand Marquis on 22s so I thought I'd show off the power under the hood.

You're right. I was being crazy and mashed my gas trying to do a cool spin out at 2 am. I drive a Grand Marquis on 22s so I thought I'd show off the power under the hood.

Nobody said you were doing crazy things, just dont play the blame game. Even if you cant blame yourself for something directly, you gotta look at the situation indirectly thats all. Its life, its fair just a lot of speed bumps on the way (some we can control and others that we have no control over).

Nobody said you were doing crazy things, just dont play the blame game. Even if you cant blame yourself for something directly, you gotta look at the situation indirectly thats all. Its life, its fair just a lot of speed bumps on the way (some we can control and others that we have no control over).

I understand what you're saying. I guess I will just have to see what happens tomorrow with USAA. Like I said before, i'll post pictures of everything tomorrow. Where it happened, the car, the whole nine. Pictures tell a thousand words.

Have you ever hit ice before? Do you understand what happens when your tires hit ice? From the way you posted, it doesn't seem like this is the case. When my tires hit the ice, they began to spin. Now, keep in mind that my tires are spinning. So when I hit dry pavement, and my traction returned, my car accelerated uncontrollably. This is what sent me over the curb and into a light pole.

Living in NE IN and driving in adverse weather my entire life, I can pretty much tell you that is NOT what happens when you hit ice unless you kept your foot to the floor the entire time.

I don't know what happened, but from driving on ice literally hundreds and hundreds of times.....I've never in my life experienced what you are describing.

Bummer man. :(

I was really looking forward to getting that work done in the coming week. I'll get back to you after I figure out what happens with insurance buddy. If you or Jon need a helping hand in any work let me know. I'll have my dads truck until I get squared away with all this mess.

I just got done talking with the agent and it looks like I have a case here. The USAA agent told me herself that it was negligent on the apartment complex's part to have their water running in freezing temperatures. Pictures of everything will be up later. If I can't get a hold of a camera, I will use my iPhone.

Of course they are going to say that. It takes the burden off their shoulders. They will let you get the lawyer, pay all the fees, drag all the BS out in court, prolonging their inevitable payout.

I hate how everyone is saying that "you should have been more cautious and looked out for the ice" but the thing is, it seems like they have never driven over black ice, you NEVER see black ice until it's to late, iv been in a similar situation. It is somthing that you never want hapening

Nobody said he should have been looking for ice, especially black ice. He just should have common sense when driving and driving for conditions.

No matter how he goes about it, we all know how cars work, we all know how traction works, we all know physics, and it's clearly evident this was driver-error. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will give you every penny in my bank account if you can show me a vehicle, especially one with traction control, that will hit a patch of ice, spin it's tires, then hit the pavement again and accelerate uncontrollably. Aside from a high power car, such as a drag vehicle doing a burn out, or car at high speed, none will.

No matter how he goes about it, we all know how cars work, we all know how traction works, we all know physics, and it's clearly evident this was driver-error. Nothing more, nothing less.

No some of us dont as you can see in this thread :peepwall:

glad to hear your ok....

why look for water in the middle of a turn when it didnt rain that day ?? i mean once you see the water your on top of it already :ughdunno:

Nobody said he should have been looking for ice, especially black ice. He just should have common sense when driving and driving for conditions.

No matter how he goes about it, we all know how cars work, we all know how traction works, we all know physics, and it's clearly evident this was driver-error. Nothing more, nothing less.411-639. Agree or unless ur going fast or in a truck THE flips after the black ice but who know the way the justice system is u could win I live in nw Indiana also and never wrecked but never been in ur situation and I also no how to re act since I'm use to ice in your case sounds like your not

I will give you every penny in my bank account if you can show me a vehicle, especially one with traction control, that will hit a patch of ice, spin it's tires, then hit the pavement again and accelerate uncontrollably. Aside from a high power car, such as a drag vehicle doing a burn out, or car at high speed, none will.

get in the lincoln... in fact last week i was coming around the turn around under the hwy... i was moving a bit and a car was coming.. i jumped on it.. next thing i know im drifting thru the turn around and my chick is jaw dropped i brought it back into control not my trac system...

My dad and I did this in an old Range Rover Classic. Everything was fine thanks to all wheel drive and a viscous coupling in the transfer case.

Point is his car is fucked up. He hit some ice. My only question (which I dont think anyone has yet) is this; have you driven to this apt complex before?

I ask beacuse of LOGIC here.

1) IF you have driven there before you know the times the sprinkler is on, and if not your car companion should know them.

2) KNOWING it is around the freezing mark you should be driving slower. Especially if the question is a YES.

3) IF knowing all this you still drove faster than a CRAWL through there, then you fucked up man. YES a biger car will be more of a PITA but u should think ahead.

J