liljestrand

Questions about buying components.

I will be looking forward to upgrading the stock components in my 2008 xb here soon. Stock has a 6.5 in the lower part of the door and a tweeter in the door in the section where the side mirror is. I know from reading post that you should go listen and pick for yourself but the problem is I live in a small town on the coast of Oregon and the only place in town that has car audio.....well their stuff is at least 5 years old and 2x the price of retail. I can drive east about an hour and a half to Portland and check out stereo shops/stores but most I've seen only carry name brands at inflated prices.

So should I just wing it and take a chance on a set?

My goals are just to improve the sound from stock speakers. Not really worried about imaging and all those other "sq" things seeing as I am mostly deaf in my right ear (not from car audio) and everything sounds like its coming from the left to me anyways.

Will deaden the doors when the time comes. I would like to try to spend $150 or less. Will buy a low powered amp to accomodate (50x2 of some kind most likely). I was looking at the PG RDS 6.5" set. Can get it for about 90 bucks and they made CA&E top 10.

Open to any other suggestions. Or any opinions on the PG set.

And on a side note the back doors have stock 6.5" speakers.....would it be worth it to maybe throw some midbass's in there or just cut them out all together.

Being that I own a set of the PG's myself, they are hard to beat for good overall sound and price. Very good bang for your buck set. ID CTX's are a great component set at well, though priced a hair above the $150 budget you mentioned.

Rears with a good set of components up front won't be necessary in almost any case. You've got the right ideas, which ever set you end up going with I think you'll be happy with the end results, perhaps even surprised. You're on the right path, continue.

Thanks for your input. I tried to read as much as possible so I didnt make one of these "which should i get" and thats all the info you get out of the person. I know anything will sound better than stock. Just glad i wont have to make custom pods for the tweeters.

I second the notion... I was looking at PG as well but I liked their Titanium's better but they are somewhat hard to come by or listen to anywhere since they are old... :(

Let us know what you pick Jes and how you like it... :)

Thanks for your input. I tried to read as much as possible so I didnt make one of these "which should i get" and thats all the info you get out of the person. I know anything will sound better than stock. Just glad i wont have to make custom pods for the tweeters.

Thank you :fing34:

As for helping it is tough. In that price range it is really best to listen as everyone has different tastes and they will all have things someone really likes or doesn't.