THEMERQ

15" Q True RMS

hi, i am planning a new system and i have decided to give FI subs a try.

so my question is how much RMS can a 15" Q really handle with the cooling, spider, and i ring heat coil? i was looking to throw 2200 rms at it. i also looked at the BL but its out of my price range and i want SQ.

my last system consisted of 2 15L7s that i had on 3200 rms. they were rated at 750 rms each but were taking more than double in a 10 cube ported box, so im thinking these Q's can handle what i have in store for them. the sub will be going in a trunk of a crown vic. i know that fi subs are underrated but i dont know much. the amp will most likely be an aq2200d. as far as electrical goes i have 0 gauge, 240 amp alt, and i plan on adding another battery in the trunk.

the L7s i had were loud but they didnt hit the low notes as much as i liked. the box was tuned at 35 HZ for th L7s which was an SPL setup i guess.

this time around i want a SQ setup and according to Fi's website the Q's are their SQ subs. i have 8.7 cube net to work with this time(i want to save a little bit of room), i plan on buying one Q and one aq2200d and then buying another of each down the road. the box will be ported at 30Hz. i mostly listen to rap and rock/alternative if it matters.

whats the max rms a 15" q can handle? could it take 2.2 kW?

Sounds like what you need is a bl, and it will sound good too

Sounds like what you need is a bl, and it will sound good too

what he said ... AFAIK and read from all the interwebs, your should just look into the BL or a BTL if you want more woofa!

you are not going for SQ from what you have said. save up for the BL.

X2, a sq setup would never need 2000 watts or even close to that. A true sq car usualy isn't that loud at all. For sq, the substage is one of the least important parts.

BTL.

The Q is for sound quality, obviously.

The BL is rated for up to 2,000 watts, from then on, the BTL is your only choice.

I have a 15" Q with full cooling and extra spider.... With all of that, I'm throwing roughly 1000 watts on it.

As many stated, the q is a SQ sub, but that doesn't mean it can't get loud. Same with the BL, even tho it isn't a SQ sub that doesn't mean it can't get loud and sound great doing it. Every review on the BL that I've read praises its ability to get loud and how it sounds great doing it..

Judging by how much power you want to put on a single woofer, definitely save a little extra and get the BL.... you will be happier

I was browsing the Fi website the other day :peepwall: , I think cooling is still free so you can save $40 on that still...

Make sure you place it in a proper enclosure w/ enough volume and port area!

Edited by bimmerboy

X2, a sq setup would never need 2000 watts or even close to that. A true sq car usualy isn't that loud at all. For sq, the substage is one of the least important parts.

Actually there is no such thing as a substage. No stage in the sub period. It isn't that a true SQ car can't be loud, just far from dominated by bass. In other words if you truly want SQ you would ask 300 questions about your front stage before ever even thinking about asking about the sub. Bobo had the idea right, just wasn't eloquent in his description.

well for speakers i plan on buying 4 infinity kappa components on 90 rms each. thats about all i have/want for the non-bass stuff.

so what would be the max rms for the 15" q? 1500 rms? i dont mind cutting a little wattage, i kind of had my heart set on the Q.

well for speakers i plan on buying 4 infinity kappa components on 90 rms each. thats about all i have/want for the non-bass stuff.

so what would be the max rms for the 15" q? 1500 rms? i dont mind cutting a little wattage, i kind of had my heart set on the Q.

I don't see why your heart is set on the q when it clearly is not designed for you goals. Not to sound harsh, but take the suggestions everyone is giving you. If you are getting 4 infinity kappa components you are not going for sq, you are going for loud. Just get a nice subwoofer such as the BL or BTL that is designed to be loud and musical.

Get the Q, put 1K on it, and be done.

BTL or BL, IMO i'd go for the BTL, but you can do THE 2,200 RMS on the BL if you play within your hz range and not get too carried away with the bass knob, if you hear bottoming out or other mechanical sounds youre gonna :suicide-santa:

my last system consisted of 2 15L7s that i had on 3200 rms. they were rated at 750 rms each but were taking more than double in a 10 cube ported box, so im thinking these Q's can handle what i have in store for them. the sub will be going in a trunk of a crown vic. i know that fi subs are underrated but i dont know much. the amp will most likely be an aq2200d. as far as electrical goes i have 0 gauge, 240 amp alt, and i plan on adding another battery in the trunk.

whats the max rms a 15" q can handle? could it take 2.2 kW?

What I dont understand is that you already doubled the rms of your subwoofers in the past and your wanting to do the same thing now? Why ask the question if it can be done, yes it can but why would you want 2200 watts on a 1000 watt driver. Enclosure size will have more to do with power handling then just picking a random number and deciding to throw that much rms to the subwoofer.

If you insist of 2-Fi Q's then buy just one AQ2200D and give each 1100 rms, I would only put 2200 watts to a Q if this were strictly for competition purposes and not as a daily driver.

i just wanted to make sure that it could handle it from people who have had experience with them like i did with the L7s.

Its not about having experience with a sub, its about other factors such as: box size, gain levels, how you cant control the volume, your listening habits, your goals (2200 watts per SQ Sub rated at 1000 watts is not in the same goal) among other things.

de de de. Either run ~1kw or change what you had your heart set on. Really stupid to do anything different.

4 kappa's as a set will sound like ass, no need for an SQ sub.

Why do you even want to run that much to that specific sub?

You'll blow the sub.

And it won't have anything to do clipping, gains, box, bass boost or anything else. It will only be because you will try and get a coil that is rated to dissipate the heat that 1000 watts generates to handle twice what it is designed for.......

When people say on here they run subs at 2-3X RMS all the time, it is only because they really don't realize that the average power they are apllying is much less than they think..