sandt38

MP3s, how and why they affect our systems, and system choices

I can't tell a difference between 320K and a standard recording on CD. I can tell you that many producers are recording at higher than normal levels and some even adding distortion. The quality of original recordings today is horrible anyways, so I don't see the issue with a move to mp3 or otherwise aside from "audiophile" recordings.

Nice post. Thanks!

I use mostly MP3's now mostly for the convenience of being able to put a shit load of them on the thumb drive. With my current set up I cant tell much difference, but when I had the Dynaudio installed I could.

Was not warm and detailed like a good recording was. Psychoacoustics? Maybe/Maybe not.

I use highest bit wav I can with my flash drives... Using a 32gb flash currently... Good times...

Good post as well! :)

Good write up Seth. You describe my musical journey to a tee, starting with the house towers. lol.

I think the reason elders have a more refined ear is, once our brain hears the music reproduced so accuratly that it envokes emotions, we don't want to except anything less.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I can't tell a difference between 320K and a standard recording on CD. I can tell you that many producers are recording at higher than normal levels and some even adding distortion. The quality of original recordings today is horrible anyways, so I don't see the issue with a move to mp3 or otherwise aside from "audiophile" recordings.

I did a blind test with my wife in my car. I made 2 copies of the same track, same media, 1 in 44.1khz .wav and the other in 320VBR MP3. She perceived a difference between the .wav and MP3, but she couldn't really pinpoint the difference. I didn't offer any thoughts on the matter at first, just asked her which sounded better and why. Her preference was for the .wav file. I asked her after she made her observation if she just felt more emotion in one rather than the other. She replied that the .wav just felt more "alive".

My wife is no audiophile by any means, but she does have a lot of nice gear around her. She even has a killer system in her vehicle, and of course my home system and car systems are no slouches either, so she knows what sounds good.

I agree that most of today's music is bloated during mastering. I hate those "remasters" that sound like ass. If I want it louder, I will turn up my stereo, I don't need some studio engineer to bloat the sound and call it better. But alas, I listen to older music, so it isn't really an issue for me. Aside from TOOL or APC I don't listen any music from this decade unless someone else wants to hear it. IMO, not only is the music tainted by poor recording technique and mastering, but it just plain sucks bawls.

Nice post. Thanks!

I use mostly MP3's now mostly for the convenience of being able to put a shit load of them on the thumb drive. With my current set up I cant tell much difference, but when I had the Dynaudio installed I could.

Was not warm and detailed like a good recording was. Psychoacoustics? Maybe/Maybe not.

Ironic you would specify psychoacoustics... that is exactly what MP3 plays on. :drink40:

Very nice topic, got me thinking.

I think that the main reason that older people are more likely to notice the subtle differences it that we have actually heard good recordings of real musicians that were well mastered. The younger generations have only ever had shit from performance to recording to mastering. Rap, the current garbage that is passed off as R&B, top 40, basically all of what passes for mainstream music these days is so generally atrocious that listening from a CD or a low bit-rate mp3 is no different. The master recording is flat, utterly lacking in dynamic range. The "music" is electronically produced, the vocals get a lot of "engineering" work done to them as well. The overall result is that there is almost no emotion in music because there is so little actual human element left. While a fantastic recording of a great performance by a true artist is the dream, I'd rather have a mediocre reproduction of an OK recording of a great performance by a true artist. I'll listen to good musicians on satellite radio or my iPod on cheap speakers over what my wife listens to regardless of medium or reproduction equipment.

Can you actually hear the difference between a 1000kb/s mp3 and just straight from a cd? ( don't forget to copy both, the original so you need to burn it again on you're own cd's and then burn mp3. That's maybe why you lose quality because you can't burn the cd's properly)

I have never heared difference between types of speaker cable or like this a 1000+kb/s mp3 and just cd quality.

And i've listened it on B&W 802 speakers and a pair of monoblock's.(can't remember brand)

What music do you listen to that u can hear the difference? :peepwall:

There's no way to answer that. What one person hears or discerns will be different from others.

I think that the main reason that older people are more likely to notice the subtle differences it that we have actually heard good recordings of real musicians that were well mastered. The younger generations have only ever had shit from performance to recording to mastering. Rap, the current garbage that is passed off as R&B, top 40, basically all of what passes for mainstream music these days is so generally atrocious that listening from a CD or a low bit-rate mp3 is no different. The master recording is flat, utterly lacking in dynamic range. The "music" is electronically produced, the vocals get a lot of "engineering" work done to them as well. The overall result is that there is almost no emotion in music because there is so little actual human element left. While a fantastic recording of a great performance by a true artist is the dream, I'd rather have a mediocre reproduction of an OK recording of a great performance by a true artist. I'll listen to good musicians on satellite radio or my iPod on cheap speakers over what my wife listens to regardless of medium or reproduction equipment.

I think you bring up some very valid points. My wife likes Enrique Iglesias, she thinks his voice is so great. I told her it was engineered, you can hear it. Of course, she get's bent. But you are right. Even lossless it sounds like ass.

Can you actually hear the difference between a 1000kb/s mp3 and just straight from a cd? ( don't forget to copy both, the original so you need to burn it again on you're own cd's and then burn mp3. That's maybe why you lose quality because you can't burn the cd's properly)

I have never heared difference between types of speaker cable or like this a 1000+kb/s mp3 and just cd quality.

And i've listened it on B&W 802 speakers and a pair of monoblock's.(can't remember brand)

What music do you listen to that u can hear the difference? :peepwall:

1000kbps? Sorry, this is not a real level of MP3. Some mp3 generators may claim high bit rates, but that is greatly exaggerated. Non-standard bit rates up to 640 kbit/s can be achieved with the LAME encoder and the freeformat option, although few MP3 players can play those files. According to the ISO standard, decoders are only required to be able to decode streams up to 320 kbit/s

I am not usually burning CDs, I use HDDs, but yes I can burn them properly. I use only high quality optical media (Taiyo Yuden), and i use only quality ripping and burning programs on a solid Lite-On burner. I am an avid burner (I have almost 2000 DVDs) and I also design and print all my own labels and covers. People here who know me will tel you, I don't do anything 1/2 way.

Anyways, as i mentioned, I placed both a 320MP3 and a .wav on the same media, same song, and played it blind for my wife... read above.

I listen to everything just about. From old school blues, to classical, to R&B, rock, metal, death metal, alternative, you name it. I can say though, outside of TOOL, APC and maybe Norah Jones, I have no music that I personally listen to from this decade.

1000kbps? Sorry, this is not a real level of MP3. Some mp3 generators may claim high bit rates, but that is greatly exaggerated. Non-standard bit rates up to 640 kbit/s can be achieved with the LAME encoder and the freeformat option, although few MP3 players can play those files. According to the ISO standard, decoders are only required to be able to decode streams up to 320 kbit/s

I am not usually burning CDs, I use HDDs, but yes I can burn them properly. I use only high quality optical media (Taiyo Yuden), and i use only quality ripping and burning programs on a solid Lite-On burner. I am an avid burner (I have almost 2000 DVDs) and I also design and print all my own labels and covers. People here who know me will tel you, I don't do anything 1/2 way.

Anyways, as i mentioned, I placed both a 320MP3 and a .wav on the same media, same song, and played it blind for my wife... read above.

I listen to everything just about. From old school blues, to classical, to R&B, rock, metal, death metal, alternative, you name it. I can say though, outside of TOOL, APC and maybe Norah Jones, I have no music that I personally listen to from this decade.

Oh, i'm sorry i always use wma files,not mp3 so i'm sorry for the misunderstanding.(so not mp3, i'm wrong, but my mp3 can read it, i forgot my settings)

And you can hear a difference in metal,death metal between a mp3 and wav? (because most metal,death metal i've heared isn't mastered properly in the studio.)

How do you get you're mp3?

Because the difference between when you rip a cd and just rip it in 320mp3, or ripped it in full quality and then used a converting program, well the last one is the worst. (or even waaayyy worse if u download songs. :( )

Actually i haven't really tried out the 320mp3 and a normal wma lossles , so i'll try it tomorrow.(do you have any songs in particular for that in mind? i thought some micheal jackson songs, because those were mastered properly.)

(i'm sorry because i can be quite sceptical, and if i can't hear it myself or when a bunch of people tell me it's right i only agree with things.)

Edited by kirill007

Oh, i'm sorry i always use wma files,not mp3 so i'm sorry for the misunderstanding.(so not mp3, i'm wrong, but my mp3 can read it, i forgot my settings)

And you can hear a difference in metal,death metal between a mp3 and wav? (because most metal,death metal i've heared isn't mastered properly in the studio.)

How do you get you're mp3?

Because the difference between when you rip a cd and just rip it in 320mp3, or ripped it in full quality and then used a converting program, well the last one is the worst. (or even waaayyy worse if u download songs. :( )

Actually i haven't really tried out the 320mp3 and a normal wma lossles , so i'll try it tomorrow.(do you have any songs in particular for that in mind? i thought some micheal jackson songs, because those were mastered properly.)

(i'm sorry because i can be quite sceptical, and if i can't hear it myself or when a bunch of people tell me it's right i only agree with things.)

Most metal and death metal isn't mastered properly? Due to lower budgeting they tend to be less manipulated then mainstream music like Michael Jackson. IMO it is far better raw then it is overly manipulated. I prefer live recordings and older school recordings where "mastering" isn't total manipulation. See helotaxi's commentary above, which i agree with completely.

I might suggest looking into Alice In Chains Unplugged in NY. Great staging, imaging, and because there is no real manipulation, it is very clean and realistic. Other discs worth looking into would be Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon (not a remastered version either), Norah Jones Come Away With Me

You can be skeptical all you want. If you do some research yourself you can see how compression works yourself. There is very little to be skeptical about, it is just a fact. As i suggested in the article, if you have average gear, you might not hear much at all. If you have nice gear in a nice install, it will be apparent.

I couldn't notice a difference between 320kpbs MP3 and cd-quality.

But i could notice a difference between 256kps and cd-quality, but i think i used a bad song.

I haven't found the cd from alice in chains unplugged, nor Dark Side of the moon or that other one.

I think i have the pink floyd cd, but didn't find it yet.

My father nor mother could hear any difference between 128kbps MP3 and cd-quality...Nor that guy with his high quality 'expensive" Bose equipment.. :shrug:

Uncompressed audio as stored on an audio-CD has a bit rate of 1,411.2 kbit/s, so the bitrates 128, 160, 192 and 320 kbit/s represent compression ratios of approximately 11:1, 9:1, 7:1 and 4.4:1 respectively. So you are hearing less than 1/4 of the information at 320. Still doubt that it is audible?

Just shared this topic via our twitter.

Just shared this topic via our twitter.

I do expect a deposit in my paypal account, of course :morepower1:

Uncompressed audio as stored on an audio-CD has a bit rate of 1,411.2 kbit/s, so the bitrates 128, 160, 192 and 320 kbit/s represent compression ratios of approximately 11:1, 9:1, 7:1 and 4.4:1 respectively. So you are hearing less than 1/4 of the information at 320. Still doubt that it is audible?

It may be audible, but I can tell you my brain can't distinguish a difference.

Yes, and 1400kbps? (i saw from where u got it, but experience says different)

Highest bitrate that i have is 1106kpbs,most of it is about 950, and it depends on the song what bitrate it has.

So if u use the most common bitrate of 960 it is only a third that you hear.

And you don't need the freqeuncies above 20khz or below 20hz, so those freqeuncies are gone.

That's what they do, use the loudest freqeuncies and remove everything else.

I've noticed that instruments do sound a tiny bit different(piano), and that there seems to be less dynamics.

The freqeuncies that are really high are gone so it doesn't sounds as 'clear'.(i don't like to use subjective words.)

The 'sparkling" highs aren't there, couldn't notice no difference in bass nor midbass.

Haven't tried out a song with voices so i don't know if voices are affected but according to my theory there shouldn't be any change with how voices sound.

What do you hear that is different between a mp3 and cd-quality? :)

(not sceptical anymore, there is a small difference not worth it if you don't have good equipment or ears, and not needed for everyday listening.)

EDIT: i compared a 256kps MP3 to cd-quality.

Edited by kirill007