Sign in to follow this  
joemacgames1

New system build. Need help!

Hey,

I have a 2002 mini cooper S and i want some bass. It has stock electrical right now, and the only thing I want to have to do is upgrade the big 3. It has a 105 amp alt I think and a stock battery so I'd like to keep the amp around 500-600 rms.

My goal is as much bass as I can get with the space and power that I have. The dimensions for the "trunk" are 13x13x I think 32ish.

I listen to rap and some dubstep, so I want a ported enclosure and I don't care if I have 1 or 2 subs as long as it's loud. As for price, I don't mind paying for quality, but I'd like to keep the sub and amp each around or under $200. I'll go up if I need to though. I was thinking maybe 2 SSA Dcons or 1 Sundown SA-12. Any help is appreciated!

Here is an example pic of the trunk: 010801zoomminicooperint.jpg

FIQ12 might work. I love my 2 12" DCON's but they don't get quite as loud as I might have liked. Don't get me wrong they hit 125 db easy. But I got them for the reproduction not loudness. I've heard of the Sundowns being ridiculous so you might want to go with that.

FIQ12 might work. I love my 2 12" DCON's but they don't get quite as loud as I might have liked. Don't get me wrong they hit 125 db easy. But I got them for the reproduction not loudness. I've heard of the Sundowns being ridiculous so you might want to go with that.

I was actually looking at the Q, but I'd have to either get a HO alt or a spare battery, both of which bump me into a pricier category than I'd like. But later on down the road I'll definitely be looking at getting something with a little more ompf like the Q or BL. Thanks though!

I don't think you'd need a larger alternator or another battery for the Q 12".

You don't have to send full power to a sub for it to sound good. Nor are you limited to subs that are only rated at the power you want to use.

SA-12 is a great choice of sub for the price, i loved the pair i had. the only reason im not using them is im upgrading to 8 SA-15s

I Say SA-12 on an alpine m500 or a Sundonw SAZ-1000 / 12000 ran at 2 ohms, for a super clean signal

good luck :fing34:

SA-12 is a great choice of sub for the price, i loved the pair i had. the only reason im not using them is im upgrading to 8 SA-15s

I Say SA-12 on an alpine m500 or a Sundonw SAZ-1000 / 12000 ran at 2 ohms, for a super clean signal

great!! I actually have an m500 just sitting in my room right now lol should I get the dual 2 or dual 4 ohm?

I wouldn't? 1000 watts seems like a lot of to run off a 105 amp alt. But then again, I still have lots to learn lol

I would have to agree with others in that i think you are limiting yourself a bit on the wattage. I do not think you will need a larger alt or another battery to run what you want. I would like at something like the SA-12 or the SKAR Audio 12 and run it off of a SAX 1200d @ 2ohms. I am a little biased because that is what i am running, but i am very pleased with the output and i think that you could easily fit the box for a nice single 12 in the trunk of your mini. :morepower1:

I would like to see 4 8s in there ... Would look and souind Awesome I'd bet ... just my suggestion ...

great!! I actually have an m500 just sitting in my room right now lol should I get the dual 2 or dual 4 ohm?

you would need a dual 4 ohm sub for that application

I wouldn't? 1000 watts seems like a lot of to run off a 105 amp alt. But then again, I still have lots to learn lol

105 amps = 1050 watts. your car needs 35-65 amps (350-650 watts) to run the fuel inj. and other electrical. You are not drawing full current at ALL times with the system though, bc music is dynamic, not continuous. NOW remember you also have a battery for electical bursts when everything demands more, and the battery will charge between bursts.

With that being said, alot will depend on your listening habits.

105 amps = 1050 watts. your car needs 35-65 amps (350-650 watts) to run the fuel inj. and other electrical. You are not drawing full current at ALL times with the system though, bc music is dynamic, not continuous. NOW remember you also have a battery for electical bursts when everything demands more, and the battery will charge between bursts.

With that being said, alot will depend on your listening habits.

so I could safely run between 500 and 700 watts? assuming i listen to it at a reasonable volume

Sounds like you understood the math. Yes, you are correct. just remember the Alternator makes the power and the battery fills in anything above that during electrical peaks. What type of music do you listen to?

Sounds like you understood the math. Yes, you are correct. just remember the Alternator makes the power and the battery fills in anything above that during electrical peaks. What type of music do you listen to?

I'll mainly be listening to rap with some dubstep/techo every once in a while

I think what I'm going to get is the SKAR 12" and run a Sundown SAE 1200D. What's the difference between the v1 and v2 models of that amp?

And SKAR has a deal where for $200 I can get the sub and an enclosure built to my specs which is great. And they're located in Tampa which is 30mins away from my house! Just for clarification, I'll get the D4 sub and run the amp at 2 Ohms to get ~600watts? and I know that sundown makes really efficient amps, so about how much power do you think I'll actually get out of it?

i think the 1200 does closer to 1400 or 1500 at 1 ohm so like 700 or so. an extra 100 or 200 watts wont make an audible difference to the ear. sounds like you have a good plan here.

If you have the Alpine why not use it and save a little cash? By no means am I saying anything negative about the Sundown amps as I love them myself. You could have a little larger more efficient enclosure built to optimize the power you have available with the Alpine. If you are even remotely interested in upgrading in the future, the extra power available from the Sundown would be beneficial. Either way you decide to go would be a win in my opinion. Looking foward to seeing a build log in the future.

Thanks for all the great info everybody! I'll definitely take some pictures and if I have time I'll make a build log

edit: I've been hearing this annoying rattling coming from my right door panel and I just took it off to see what it was and it's my right door speaker. It's blown, so I'm now in the market for a pair of good, cheap door speakers. Any suggestions?

Edited by joegarrison

bravox, check the ssa store and the review section section in the forum

Thanks for all the great info everybody! I'll definitely take some pictures and if I have time I'll make a build log

edit: I've been hearing this annoying rattling coming from my right door panel and I just took it off to see what it was and it's my right door speaker. It's blown, so I'm now in the market for a pair of good, cheap door speakers. Any suggestions?

Depends on the budget and size speakers you are looking for?