ford302redneck

First SQ setup

So I know what SQ means and I'm not going 100% that route.

I want something that sounds good to my ears. I don't want a flat band but then again I don't want a U either. I want a good blend of bass to midbass and no harsh highs, but I do like loudish tweeters. Not the cheap hood ninja ones where they have 4 sets.

To start off, its going in my 01 Ford F250 CrewCab.

I'm thinking of

Headunit- Kenwood DoubleDin(no sure on which yet.)

Subbass- 2 10 AA Chaos(Behind backseat)

Midbass/Midrange -AA 7" CF mid(Factory Door location)

Tweeter- AA Seas tweeter

Processor- Not sure yet. (I like the RF 3sixty)

Sub amp- Sundown SAZ1500v2(or 2000d)

Mid amp- Crossfire VR404 bridged

Tweeter amp- Not sure yet. Need a 50x2

All this isn't set in stone. Advise would be greatly appreciated.

What were you looking for advice on exactly?

Sounds like an awesome start to me. Just pay alot of attention to detail if you ever plan to compete ... :drink40::popcorn:

My advice would be to start talking more about how you are installing and a lot less about what you are installing.

My advice would be to start talking more about how you are installing and a lot less about what you are installing.

Doors are already deadened, may add some more. I know how to install, everything I posted. I just hope it becomes what Im looking for.

So I know what SQ means and I'm not going 100% that route.

I want something that sounds good to my ears. I don't want a flat band but then again I don't want a U either. I want a good blend of bass to midbass and no harsh highs, but I do like loudish tweeters. Not the cheap hood ninja ones where they have 4 sets.

To start off, its going in my 01 Ford F250 CrewCab.

I'm thinking of

Headunit- Kenwood DoubleDin(no sure on which yet.)

Subbass- 2 10 AA Chaos(Behind backseat)

Midbass/Midrange -AA 7" CF mid(Factory Door location)

Tweeter- AA Seas tweeter

Processor- Not sure yet. (I like the RF 3sixty)

Sub amp- Sundown SAZ1500v2(or 2000d)

Mid amp- Crossfire VR404 bridged

Tweeter amp- Not sure yet. Need a 50x2

All this isn't set in stone. Advise would be greatly appreciated.

What we got out of this is.. you want to (correctly) set up your front stage. How about mounting locations, going active or passive 2way? Do you have room/able to make kick pods for the AA carbons? The more info the better, installation is > 90% of a good front stage.

Doors are already deadened, may add some more. I know how to install, everything I posted. I just hope it becomes what Im looking for.

Then why did you make a thread if you know everything already?

i would make pods in the stock door locations to make them sealed up which will help the midbass come in. I would try to go active over using another processor thats just one more thing to mess up look into the pioneer or eclipse they're great units are with the abilities of those units it'll beat out a processor or you could get the AQ4x90 instead and use its bandpass crossovers to setup your midbass. and then the other channel for your tweeters remember you dont have to turn the gain all the way on the tweeter side but i've played with the AA carbons and they'll take the power and they are VERY clear

Isn't the rf 3.sixty a 3 way active processor?

Also, I changed my mind on the Crossfire. Going with a Sundown 100.4d.

Also, I said I could install it all, I'm asking advice on products I listed in the purpose I'm looking after.

Isn't the rf 3.sixty a 3 way active processor?

Also, I changed my mind on the Crossfire. Going with a Sundown 100.4d.

Also, I said I could install it all, I'm asking advice on products I listed in the purpose I'm looking after.

No, 2 way + sub. I suppose you "could" call that 3 way, but that doesn't make sense.

As for SQ recommendations there is NO separating install from equipment, but if you already know how to install everything then you realize this as well which then begs the question why didn't you share that info?

There are a bunch of hardcore SQ guys on the board. They know their chit but if you don't dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" they will bite your head off lol. Good luck with that.

If you stick your speakers behind door cards that will probably be the biggest hinderance for your sound stage. So a bare minimum you need to build door pods. I think the the kick panel is generally a good location for speaker placement. But.... Do you have a big honking center consule? If so kicks might not be good for you then.

Get them tweeters above the dash and don't forget your dash mat :)

With proper set up a good eq can really help to get your stage location dialed in. Which eq do you plan on using?

You have a big cab, big dash. Have you thought about HLCD's?

There are a bunch of hardcore SQ guys on the board. They know their chit but if you don't dot your "i's" and cross your "t's" they will bite your head off lol. Good luck with that.

He's got nearly 1800 posts here and has been around and already knows better than what he has asked, should realize that threads like this take more effort on his part, but probably really isn't interested in having an SQ setup :( We shall see I guess. His choice. Equipment is such a LITTLE part of the equation I really hate that it becomes the topic. Everyone is so lazy they just want to buy good sound and it DOESN'T work that way.

He's got nearly 1800 posts here and has been around and already knows better than what he has asked, should realize that threads like this take more effort on his part, but probably really isn't interested in having an SQ setup :( We shall see I guess. His choice. Equipment is such a LITTLE part of the equation I really hate that it becomes the topic. Everyone is so lazy they just want to buy good sound and it DOESN'T work that way.

Your actually right, I usually never make topics asking questions. Did early in my forum days but who didn't.

I know the drivers doesn't make much different, but you know they do make some.

Like pods, I've considered them, also considered a 3 way active, 8in midbass, 6.5 mid, and tweeter.

But couldn't the 3.sixty be run as a 3way, using sub channel as midbass?

I'm even considering using the Sundown amp crossover as goes up to 5k crossover point. I'm not 100% sure on this either.

SQ is new to me as a whole, never heard what it is suppose to sound like. I listen to a good bit of rap, one reason liking a little louder tweeter. Not bullet tweeter/cheap 10 dollar chrome ones either.

I'm thinking of maybe moding the inside of my door to fit a 8in and running IB and 6.5s in kick. With tweeters location to be determined after I do some listening tests.

I'm basically scared to spend ~600(in front stage) dollars and not be no where happy with the money I've spent.

And as I stated before the location and mounting of those drivers determines which ones you could use for that application. There is NO separating the two.

I sure the hell wouldn't want to use the 360 that way, way better options. I will add though that I seriously doubt you are ready for an active 3 way if you truly want an SQ setup. You'd be much better off spending 6 months doing some tuning on a 2 way.

I'm dabbling in a SQ setup myself. It ain't easy going active, lots of amps to install. For you I recommend the JBL MS8. Yes it's a crap load of $, but it'll get you there fast when you don't know where you're going. Good luck with project.

And as I stated before the location and mounting of those drivers determines which ones you could use for that application. There is NO separating the two.

I sure the hell wouldn't want to use the 360 that way, way better options. I will add though that I seriously doubt you are ready for an active 3 way if you truly want an SQ setup. You'd be much better off spending 6 months doing some tuning on a 2 way.

Basically me going SQ is me trying to grow up. I know I'll enjoy it if I ever go that way, just tough starting out. I'm a basshead by nature, even though I've never had anything bawls to the wall loud.

Think was more of a thinking process thread. I still may not be ready to let my true inner SQueer out.

We'll be deciding after the 1st of the year, but I have to build something or I'm going to go crazy.

At the moment I have a 5000rms amp, was going to do 2 18s and 10krms. Basically only reason I want that is to show other people.

I have some thinking to do. We shall see.

If it is a thinking process thread then actually share some information and stop worrying about something as useless as driver selection. That is secondary.

Let's start with Midbass.

Thoughts on what I should do?

First, let's better define midbass.

Are you looking at a 2-way or 3-way front stage?

Are you asking for placement suggestions, or driver selections? If the later, we need to 1st determine the installation and constraints, then determine a budget and listening/performance considerations.

What are you and aren't you willing to construct and/or modify in the vehicle?

Are you looking for good imaging and soundstaging?

What type of processing will you have available?

Will you be active or passive?

I know it sounds like we're being pains in the ass and not answering your questions.....but really, we need to get a much better idea about things before we can try to help. You had an outline of what you were doing in your 1st post, but you've kind of been wandering since then in the direction are wanting to take.....so I'm not sure where things stand right now.

I think I'm just going to go with something simple. And see how it comes out, then I can get a better idea on what I exactly want.

So much for a thinking thread. More like a waste of everyone's time. :(

You have enough experience to know how to make a thread right and when you do you KNOW you will get an answer that will be really helpful. Not sure why when others ask you for simple information you should have thought of before the thread you want to walk away as it is now work for you. Go ahead and abuse others time by asking the question, but then don't bother to put in your own to make the question worth answering :(

This is crapaudio.com, a little effort goes a long way.

I think I'm just going to go with something simple. And see how it comes out, then I can get a better idea on what I exactly want.

So......are you just going 2-way passive then? 2-way active?

I'm sorry, but you're just not giving us enough information to really help you out. I asked detailed questions in my previous post....detailed answers to those questions would get this thread headed in the right direction and allow it to actually provide some useful information.

Let's start with Midbass.

Thoughts on what I should do?

First, let's better define midbass.

Are you looking at a 2-way or 3-way front stage?

Are you asking for placement suggestions, or driver selections? If the later, we need to 1st determine the installation and constraints, then determine a budget and listening/performance considerations.

What are you and aren't you willing to construct and/or modify in the vehicle?

Are you looking for good imaging and soundstaging?

What type of processing will you have available?

Will you be active or passive?

I know it sounds like we're being pains in the ass and not answering your questions.....but really, we need to get a much better idea about things before we can try to help. You had an outline of what you were doing in your 1st post, but you've kind of been wandering since then in the direction are wanting to take.....so I'm not sure where things stand right now.

2 way or 3 way. Depends on every bodies input.

I'm wanting opinions on placement and driver selection. I'd like to run AA cf mids, but if their not going to be my "style" then I need help picking another driver(s).

I'm willing to make kick panels, door pods or anything else really.

Also, it will be active, unless somebody points me into a really good passive setup.

As far as imaging and soundstage, it doesn't matter. Having all the music in front of me like a live stage isn't that important to me. If this isn't what you mean by this, explain and I'll try to answer it better.

Basicly I want some kick ass midbass. I'm talking when people that have no idea what midbass is listen to my setup, they ask, what is going on. Not looking for anything raw/harsh. Or anything that will hurt my ears. But I do want a loudish detailed tweeter. Which I guess placement could help on how loud it ends up being.

That is some of the questions. Try harder please :)