edouble101

System for my Hyundai - Sundown,JL Audio, Crescendo, Audiocontrol, DEI

Thanks sefugi. This will be my first attempt at fiberglass and vinyl. You should PM me your number so I can call you when I run into trouble :peepwall::)

PM sent!! Just remember I charge by the minute!!

Thanks sefugi. This will be my first attempt at fiberglass and vinyl. You should PM me your number so I can call you when I run into trouble :peepwall::)

PM sent!! Just remember I charge by the minute!!

:)

Mids look beastly, can't wait to see them in your doors! 1 per side, or 2?

1/door @250wrms each.

Next build will have the EX-8's :)

1/door @250wrms each.

:woot: Serious about your midbass!

1/door @250wrms each.

:woot: Serious about your midbass!

:sleepwerd4: If I get it done.....

Started working on the baffles for the doors. Made of 0.75" MDF the baffles will hold a midbass driver and a 2" port.

Here is the template I mocked up out of cardboard.

Edit-0115-1.jpg

I transferred the template onto a sheet of plywood, I made two copies. One copy will be for the outer dimension of the baffle. The other copy will be for the rabbet edge dimension.

Edit-0116.jpg

Edit-0112.jpg

I used a square to cut out templates from the original copies to use as a router guide. This was difficult and not too accurate but I did my best.

Edit-0114.jpg

Just to make sure I didn't f things up too bad I cut out test pieces. The bottom piece represents the outer edge of the baffle the top piece represents the rabbet edge.

Edit-0113.jpg

Edit-0122-1.jpg

Oh yeah, I stopped in to Harbor Freight and picked up an orbital sander :)

Edit-0118.jpg

Now that I am kinda pleased with my templates time to start cutting MDF. Jasper jig ftw

Edit-0124-1.jpg

One baffle done

Edit-0131.jpg

Midbass fitted and port fitted. The OD cutouts are 0.060" big per side account for vinyl.

Edit-0130-1.jpg

Looks like a damn good start!!! So weird but cool to see a port in a baffle for a door!!

Looks like a damn good start!!! So weird but cool to see a port in a baffle for a door!!

This would have been alot easier if I had a router table!

I am determined to get this doors done asap. My life is so hectic with family it I have very little "me" time lol.

Plan.....

Finish doors -> build kicks -> weld amp racks and battery box -> solder more RCA's -> weld new trunk.... :) ) -> build new sub enclosure ->build rear deck for lots-o-port -> pound that sound!

I am determined to get this doors done asap. My life is so hectic with family it I have very little "me" time lol.

Plan.....

Finish doors -> build kicks -> weld amp racks and battery box -> solder more RCA's -> weld new trunk.... :) ) -> build new sub enclosure ->build rear deck for lots-o-port -> pound that sound!

What's "Me Time" ?? Have had very little of that myself.

You have quite a grocery list of "to do's" !!

Plan.....

What's "Me Time" ?? Have had very little of that myself.

You have quite a grocery list of "to do's" !!

There isn't any rush to get it done, I am just anxious. I do not want to rush through it and half ass it though. I am hoping within two weeks I will have the doors done. I have al day this Monday to work on them :)

I need to run a 220v sub panel to my garage for my welder. The fun begins after that! I am going to be making new trunk hinges to free up some space in the trunk for the subwoofer enclosure. I am very curious to see this turns out. I have the help of an engineer here at work in designing the new hinges.

Here is the grill. The recessed cutout around the midbass and port opening is 0.07" deep so the steel will sit flush. I will be wrapping the entire piece in grill cloth.

Edit-0132-1.jpg

Edit-0133-1.jpg

Steel protective grill (raw form needs prepped).

Edit-0134.jpg

Started on the glass build!

Stock door

Edit-0031.jpg

No turning back now!

Edit-0135.jpg

2 and in some areas 3 layers of fiberglass laid.

Edit-0136.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the end result on those doors. The entire build is looking great!

:drink40:

Looking forward to seeing the end result on those doors. The entire build is looking great!

:drink40:

X2 :fing34:

Coming out great :D

Thanks for all of the comments. Hopefully this turns out good :peepwall:

So far the fiberglass is no where near being dry :ughdunno: hope I didnt f it up! It is in my garage with all doors and windows closed. I do not want to leave a window or door open overnight. I live in the sticks but I still do not want to leave a window or door open in my garage.

I mixed up about 2 ounces of resin with 18 drops of hardener :peepwall:

heat lamp on the doors?

Just curious of the benefits of porting the mids VS. IB? Better response curve?

heat lamp on the doors?

Just curious of the benefits of porting the mids VS. IB? Better response curve?

Same as running a sub ported vs IB.

I had a fan on it all night and the glass still inst dry :ughdunno: Time to break out the heat gun :ughdunno:

I know when I did mine I had lamps setup but they were about a 18" away, I'd put my hand out in front and have it feel a little warmer then sunlight from outside. Too much heat and it might crack, or more likely it'll flex when it dries and no longer curve to fit the door.

All I can think of that might help :fing34:

I have tried everything to get this to set. Nothing I do has worked. I am about to rip it all off at start the fiberglass process over again.

Doors lookin great so far. That 18 drops of hardener should have been more then enough. Has it dried any since yesterday?

Doors lookin great so far. That 18 drops of hardener should have been more then enough. Has it dried any since yesterday?

Well the f'n cloth never hardened after many failed attempts to get it to. I ended up ripping it off the door and laying down fresh tape and this time I used fiberglass mat. I was much more careful with mixing the resin and hardener. The mat was alot easier to apply and is thicker as well. The fiberglass shell is nearly hardened after about an hour of sitting in the sun. I am hoping to have the mounting baffle resin'd in today.

I was not sure how much fiberglass mat I was going to need for this project. Like I said this is my first time working with 'glass. I will need to stop at the paint shop tomorrow and pick up more packages of fiberglass mat to finish this stage of the door build.

Clearly on my first attempt at laying down the fiberglass cloth I did not use enough hardener, lesson learned :fing34:

Here are a few pictures of the firework display in Coplay, PA that I took last night :bigok:

Edit-0301.jpg

Edit-0309.jpg

Edit-0324.jpg

Edit-0359.jpg

Edit-0377.jpg

Edit-0416.jpg

nice photos... great that you have time for this and didn't finish your car yet!!!! :peepwall: