edouble101

System for my Hyundai - Sundown,JL Audio, Crescendo, Audiocontrol, DEI

My 20 min drive to work every day makes all work worth the effort, just to have 20 minutes of bliss twice a day.

My 20 min drive to work every day makes all work worth the effort, just to have 20 minutes of bliss twice a day.

That is exactly why I am building this system the way I am. My drive to work is 50 minutes one way! No way could I do that without a good sounding audio sysyem!

And you deserve it, yoh the one working your ass off.

I have determined where my errors are in enclosing this fiberglass pod.

1. Material is too stretchy.

2. Material was not tight enough.

3. The span of unsupported area is too large for thin fabric to cover.

I bought ponte fabric which is a one way fabric and is slightly thicker than the original fabric I bought. I am going to do a better job tightening the fabric across the mold. I am going to build some type of insert support.

Wish me good luck!

:+1: for learning on the first try, and kickin' ass on the second!

Good Luck!!!! Make it happen!!!

One positive point that comes from all the problems is that not just you, but everyone who's reading this is learning as well. Thanks for sharing the mishaps as well as the winning moments! :drink40:

I told you awhile ago Ponte fabric is the way to go when fiberglassing, cant wait to see the outcome when done. Ported door enclosures FTW!!!!!

:+1: for learning on the first try, and kickin' ass on the second!

Dont jinx me it isn't completed :peepwall:

Good Luck!!!! Make it happen!!!

As soon as I get home from vacation it is gonna happen!

One positive point that comes from all the problems is that not just you, but everyone who's reading this is learning as well. Thanks for sharing the mishaps as well as the winning moments! :drink40:

No doubt man. Hopefully I can save somebody some time by learning from my experience.

I told you awhile ago Ponte fabric is the way to go when fiberglassing, cant wait to see the outcome when done. Ported door enclosures FTW!!!!!

I am anxious to see if it is better! It feels less stretchy than the other fabric I bought a little thicker too.

Yeah from my understanding it doesnt soak up resin neither so you dont have to use a lot of it, I get my info from EpicCenter Designs (thats who told me to use Ponte fabric).

I pulled off my first attempt, which was a total fail. I decided that I am not going to use an insert piece. I really want a nice smooth look to the pod.

What I learned :grouphug: :

1. Do not use two way fabric :No: It is just too damn stretchy. Somebody may have success with it but I can guarantee it isn't going to be easy.

2. Fabric has got to be as tight as possible. Stretch the snot out of it and then some more.

I laid the fabric so the stretchy side was running top to bottom. I stapled the ends (left and right) to my makeshift plywood work table. This would help assure it is tight.

Edit-0177.jpg

Edit-0178.jpg

Edit-0179.jpg

I started in the center and worked my way outward on a radial direction.

Edit-0180.jpg

Edit-0182.jpg

The entire piece to a good bit of a hour to wrap.

Edit-0183.jpg

Next up : 2-3 layers of glass on the inside and one layer on the outside.

Couple more things I learned. A couple areas around the edge of my mold were not smooth (If measured with a straight edge). So when I was wrapping the fabric along the edge it formed slight imperfections. These imperfections will add time to smoothing the contour of the pod that I could have done a lot faster with resin or 'glass before I wrapped the pod.

Edit-0186-1.jpg

I pulled off my first attempt, which was a total fail. I decided that I am not going to use an insert piece. I really want a nice smooth look to the pod.

What I learned :grouphug: :

1. Do not use two way fabric :No: It is just too damn stretchy. Somebody may have success with it but I can guarantee it isn't going to be easy.

2. Fabric has got to be as tight as possible. Stretch the snot out of it and then some more.

Well said!!

Bring on the resined pics, I wanna see these ported bad-boys come together!!

:drink40:

Edit-0187.jpg

Lookin good......do work son :drink40:

:fing34: More like you were wanting?? :detail:

Definitely what I want. I need to take a few days off work to finish this ;)

Looks nice. Have any idea of volume you're working with?

Looks nice. Have any idea of volume you're working with?

Since it isn't completed I have not measured it. I am building for 14-20L.

Any progress?? Interested in how these pods are turning out.

Any progress?? Interested in how these pods are turning out.

Thank you for asking :)

I sold my DSLR last week and my new camera is on back order :( As of right now I didnt take recent pics of the pod since I am cameraless :( I hate cell phone pics ;)

I did do some 'glassing on the outside of the pod (2-3 layers) along with some trimming and sanding. I have 95% of the shape complete. I just have to go through and sand down high spots and fill in low spots. After the pod is complete dimension wise I am going to lay down some DamplifierPro on the inside and fill with a medium to get a volume measurement. Then starts the vinyl.

I will take some crappy cell phone pics tonight ;)

Hopefully the passenger side pod goes much faster!! Next up kicks :)

I did take some crappy cell phone pics of my Zed RA that was delivered last week :) Sorry for the chitty pics!!!

071611174531.jpg

2011-07-16_17-32-57_292.jpg

Looking good Homie! :)

You can also use modeling clay as a dampener and volume displacer, cheap and effective.

Looking good Homie! :)

You can also use modeling clay as a dampener and volume displacer, cheap and effective.

Thanks for the tip. How well does modeling clay stick to the insides of a fiberglassed enclosure?

I have a feeling my pod will be too large volume wise...

I personally have not used the non-hardening modeling clay, but have seen it used by people I respect, with good result's.

Damn it man,

I apparently have not paid your build a visit in a while. You have been quite busy. I went through a lot of the same stuff you did with yours. You can read and read, but the reality is you have to do it yourself and learn from what you did right and wrong.

I LOVE the idea of porting your pods. I was going to do mine with Aperiodic Membrane, but turned chicken shit and just vented in to the door.

Yes, you can use non hardening clay (Hobby Lobby) and I would suggest it. It will add mass and deaden the pod considerably.

The best advice I can give you, is make it as smooth as possible in the building stages because sanding bondo and filler is a PITA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think trying to shape a brick and there you go.

That is going to be sexy as hell when your done. I see how picky you are and the quality of your work is outstanding. I am sure that these will be excellent when your done. Good luck buddy. Tuned in to this again.

Gonna have to give a review of the RA, before and after? :D