Sign in to follow this  
MalibuOn22s

2009 Malibu Opinion

Here is my dilema! I wanted an 18" BTL N2, BUT my malibu only has maybe 19" height in the trunk throughout. My dimensions to work with are something like 42 from wheel to wheel, 30 deep, and 19 Height. I am open to all opinions on what would be best. I REALLY want the BTL 18 but if everyone tells me 2-BTL 15s would be better I would obviously do that. I know the nightshade and SMDs like smaller boxes as well?

I just bought a Sundown 2000d today sooo that will be my amp pushing w/e sub I get. I was also considering building the box out of the trunk and into the cabin therefore allowing the 18 or 2-18s to blow through the cabin in a wall type enclosure. Here are some pics of my trunk

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4769/trunk3.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8287/trunk2.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8669/trunk1.jpg

Please some one shed some light on my situation. I do not care about SPL I just want to hit LOW LOW LOW and obviously loud :)

Thanks SSA for the help!

Just because the smd and the nightshade like smaller boxes does not mean it is okay to do it. When I was trying To fit 2X 18" in my car I was going with nightshade v2 in the smallest enclosure possible and I was risking losing alot of the lows that I love and you do also.

I would do a single 15" in an optimal box it will sound louder to ear then an 18" in a smaller box.

I know you want the "damn that man has an 18" sub" effect. I did to but don't sacrifice your happiness for a wow effect lol

Then your in the same situation as trying to fit a single 18"

Maybe someone else alot more smarter with this stiff will chime in. I am pretty sure I am right tho lol

Then your in the same situation as trying to fit a single 18"

Maybe someone else alot more smarter with this stiff will chime in. I am pretty sure I am right tho lol

no bro I'm not questioning you :) I'm just the type of person to think that there HAS to be a way lol

this is my video of an 18" subwoofer in a 6 cubic box in the trunk of a malibu.....

If i have any suggestion I would say dont do it bro.....

Get yourself a SICK 15 and build the optimal box for it....

Optimal is optimal for a reason because it sounds the best.....

Also 2 12's would sound amazing and the enclosure could be done very nicely in this trunk and look very clean as well.

this is my video of an 18" subwoofer in a 6 cubic box in the trunk of a malibu.....

Also 2 12's would sound amazing and the enclosure could be done very nicely in this trunk and look very clean as well.

thanks for the advice :) did yours just not sound good? I could probably get a 8 cube box in after it's all said and done. You still don't think it would sound well? I mean 8 foot is optimal for the 18 and 5-6 foot would be optimal for the 15 and I honestly could do both?

ohhh and after thinking about it because they are smaller I could probably get 4 BTL 12s in there because they only ask 1.75-2.5 per sub?

Yea i would have to buy another few SA 2000ds but I think the surface area on 4 12s and the fact that It's just more in general that it would beat. I can probably pull off over 2 cubes per sub after its all said and done?

EDIT: Just also looked into some DC Level 4 XL 12s and they ask 1.5 ported optimal.....IMO that would beast but maybe some one can share there opinion with me on 4 12s :)

Edited by MalibuOn22s

what I would suggest is start out with 2 12's and see how you like that..... Also if your willing to do it you can fit 2 15's in there if you do it right and I think that you would love the way they sound and they would BEAT very nicely... My brother did an 07 fusion with 3 12's and it sounded amazing as well bro....I think the 4 12's might be a little to much cause you also want to leave room in the trunk for air to be grabbed you also need to think about batteries and amps/amp as well. I know you want to bang but I think if you did 3 12's You could do it very nicely and make a beautiful install...Would love to see the build log!

thanks for the advice :) did yours just not sound good? I could probably get a 8 cube box in after it's all said and done. You still don't think it would sound well? I mean 8 foot is optimal for the 18 and 5-6 foot would be optimal for the 15 and I honestly could do both?

honestly it didnt have enough room to get past and beat the car... I was maybe doing a 135 at most and the same box in my jimmy did a 144 on music!

what I would suggest is start out with 2 12's and see how you like that..... Also if your willing to do it you can fit 2 15's in there if you do it right and I think that you would love the way they sound and they would BEAT very nicely... My brother did an 07 fusion with 3 12's and it sounded amazing as well bro....I think the 4 12's might be a little to much cause you also want to leave room in the trunk for air to be grabbed you also need to think about batteries and amps/amp as well. I know you want to bang but I think if you did 3 12's You could do it very nicely and make a beautiful install...Would love to see the build log!

Well I just bought my first sundown 2000d today and it will probably come in next week. I was hoping to smack one of those on each sub....or maybe just give 1 amp to each pair if I did 4? Because I know those things will push them at around 1200+each and they ask for 1500

x2 on the 2 12s or 1 15, thats what i told him to do. But he seams quite set on an 18 or 2 15s which both will wind up be in less then optimal boxes stuck in a trunk with no room for air to move

Edited by hardrock2401

x2 on the 2 12s, thats what i told him to do, but he seams quite set on an 18 or 2 15s which both will wind up be in less then optimal boxes stuck in a trunk with no room for air to move

i agree with you on that.....I'm done with the 18" idea. I'm kind of skeptical about 4 12's though. They ask optimal 1.5 cube each ported. I could easily give them that? Wouldn't that be my perfect scenario?

x2 on the 2 12s, thats what i told him to do, but he seams quite set on an 18 or 2 15s which both will wind up be in less then optimal boxes stuck in a trunk with no room for air to move

i agree with you on that.....I'm done with the 18" idea. I'm kind of skeptical about 4 12's though. They ask optimal 1.5 cube each ported. I could easily give them that? Wouldn't that be my perfect scenario?

I would stay right at two bro...... pick up another 2k and ROCK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would stay right at two bro...... pick up another 2k and ROCK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might just do that :)

EDIT:Opinions on the AQ HDC312 ? 12" 1,000 rms beast

Edited by MalibuOn22s

I might just do that :)

EDIT:Opinions on the AQ HDC312 ? 12" 1,000 rms beast

Just bought a Zed Built Boss Audio REV-665 off Jay-cee to run my crescendo components :) and my sundown 2000d is on the way from heckvr4 :)

Such a good christmas lol

ok just found out...

I can either wall my car off and get 2-18s

or wall it with 6 12s

OR

stay low key and put 4 12s in the trunk subs up port back?

no wall, what kind of 12s do u plan on using if u decide to do 4

SA 12s, SSD 12s, AQ Hdc3 12s

not really decided? But why so anti the wall idea? I won't really need the back seats for anything

cuz walls are gay imo lol, unless u do a sub that likes small boxes 2 12s is gonna put u in the same boat as 2 15s or 1 18....just do 2 12s it is a hair less cone area than an 18 and needs half the box.

I was thinking 2-18" DC Lvl4 XLs on 2 Sundown 2000ds :)

in a 12 cube box walled

or what about 6 10s? or 4 15s? or 20 8s? 20 8" drivers would be very eye catching ;)

What about some xcons? or actually zcons? or the new btls? or a warden? The wardens have neodymium oh boy! OH and so does the new btl! omg omg.

big stetsom amp? or SD? or a sundown 4500! pure copper wire or some cca?

c'mon man, why even make a thread when your gonna change your mind every thirty seconds.

Although if you do start some epic wall build, I will be tuned in :drink40: