shizzzon

Couple Dcon 12s in HT ~9cuft net?

Lookin for a low powered, low budget setup for HT usage.

So, i came and looked at the Dcons, they look like what i want.

I was thinkin about gettin a couple of these Dcon 12s and runnin a small powered amp to them tuned around 17hz.

9cuft NET was the ideal range i was thinking.

You got any recommendations on if I should go larger if i can or what?

What would you think about port area?

Even though I will be using less than 500w for a pair, the xtreme low tuning may still require large port area? Yes\no?

I can use up to 100sqin if necessary but that sounds too large, in my opinion.

How did you determine ANY of your numbers and not answer all the questions at the same time?

Why 9cuft? Why 17Hz? Answering those will answer the other questions by default :)

it looked decent when modeling but i do not trust what i see 100% as i might not have enough info to plot graphs properly for these subs.

So, double checking what i'm looking at.

I would start with what SSA recommends for enclosure size and model from there. 9^ft is way to large imo for the DCONS.

I would start with what SSA recommends for enclosure size and model from there. 9^ft is way to large imo for the DCONS.

Um, no. SSA does not have a recommended enclosure size for HT on their site. COMPLETELY different application. 9cuft may not be enough, 17Hz may not be low enough, but unless I spent some time modeling I couldn't say.

Since you did model Sean, what do you see and why the concern over port area. There is a reason you settled on the sizes you did and sharing those would provide the insight you need to verify if you were right. Much better to discuss and learn than have someone do it as well and say okay. Add to that of course that not everyone will pick the same trade-offs anyways.

Doh! your right, HT is a whole differen't ball game my bad.

Have any filters available? With that power in that box you won't be stressing them, but you could gain more if you changed it depending on what you will have for processing etc.

I personally have not tried the 12's in a HA set up. I need to get a hold of a new CPU soon so I play with things like this.

ok, i'm gonna go off track here for a second so i can figure this out before i get back to the topic at hand-

I had a thought on doin this but cant find any definite answer as to if it works or not...

Would i get the "Realism" feeling if i mounted an HT box under the couch and have the frame of the couch (no legs) rest on it?

Reason i am asking this is because i was thinking of adding some tactile transducers to the couch but there is no accessible frame under the couch (just the outer frame around the couch but cant mount anything to it) so the only thing i could do is to build a "Riser" and attach them to the riser but if this HT sub box method is better.. i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

So, after i figure this out, we can get back to the Dcons.

You mean put your sub under the couch? If so, no. The only feel you'll get is if you build a crappy box that flops around, a well braced box will result in sound that you cannot tell where it is coming from.