Don Ganso

MTX Blue Thunder 12 ((OLD SCHOOL!))

Friend has one, wants help building a box, general system setup, etc.

Looks like this, but nastier.: (no pics of my own)

8ba4_1.JPG?set_id=7

It's got the little tab terminals and everything. Funky and old. Haven't thrown a DMM on it so no guess at the imp. Single coil.

As many specs as you got. Throw 'em up.

Fs = 26.3 Hz

Qms = 9.72

Vas = 98.6 liters

Cms = 0.242 mm/N

Mms = 151.5 g

Rms = 2.58 kg/s

Xmax = 9.4 mm

P-Dia = 261.9 mm

Sd = 539 sq.cm

Qes = 0.65

Re = 3.17 ohms

Le = 2.4 mH

Z = 4 ohms

BL = 11.05 Tm

Pe = 250 watts

Qts = 0.61

no = 0.26 %

1-W SPL = 87.2 dB

BTW, 2 cubes sealed, 1.5 sealed and lightly stuffed with polyfill and you will be able to throw the RMS at it and a little more.

And it should sound fantastic. Those were really great sounding subs. Not hardly loud by today's standards but great sounds.

You can go here

Tried, and tried hard. perhaps i failz at the intornetz? I don't know, but my searches were "MTX Blue Thunder 12", "MTX Blue Thunder 12 specs", "Old MTX Blue Thunder 12 specs", and the best of them all: "Old MTX Blue Thunder 12 specs black cone blue writing".

Fs = 26.3 Hz

Qms = 9.72

Vas = 98.6 liters

Cms = 0.242 mm/N

Mms = 151.5 g

Rms = 2.58 kg/s

Xmax = 9.4 mm

P-Dia = 261.9 mm

Sd = 539 sq.cm

Qes = 0.65

Re = 3.17 ohms

Le = 2.4 mH

Z = 4 ohms

BL = 11.05 Tm

Pe = 250 watts

Qts = 0.61

no = 0.26 %

1-W SPL = 87.2 dB

Thank you!

Now the only rms quote I found was someone claiming it was a "500 watt sub". WTF? I look at this thing and I'd guess 150 or so, but I 'spose you can't judge a book by its cover.

Either way, will be using an equally old MTX 250x for power, so I have a few questions:

NO subsonic filter, ported a bad idea?

You say 2 cubes sealed but don't mention ported or sealed; is this a "recommended for sealed enclosures only" deal making ported a doubly bad idea?

This is for a friend who is looking for output over quality of sound and he's flat broke, so what's the best route to go with this?

Run it sealed and leave it sealed. About 250 watts is all it will handle. Maybe slightly more, but I doubt it. Short 2" coil.

Great sounding sub in a sealed inclosure as stated above.

Sealed and only sealed. Oh, and run it sealed.

Alright, sealed I shall try, and we shall see how she goes.

Sealed and only sealed. Oh, and run it sealed.

That QTS, yeah seal it up. :)

i just got two of the same subs. what are the air space requirements? im gona make two single square boxes

You didn't read the thread too well did ya? :fing34:

i just got two of the same subs. what are the air space requirements? im gona make two single square boxes

:WTFBubble: your not serious are you? :ughdunno:

i didnt post on here to get criticized. Vas = 98.6 liters is this the air space?

BTW, 2 cubes sealed, 1.5 sealed and lightly stuffed with polyfill and you will be able to throw the RMS at it and a little more.

i didnt post on here to get criticized. Vas = 98.6 liters is this the air space?

First quote is your net volume per driver.

Didn't mean to bust your balls so hard but just needed to point that out. :drink40:

its all good, its just been a long day, i looked completely over where it said 2 cubic ft.

Perfect timing on this. Had one of these fall in my lap & was just looking for info in it.

I came upon one of these myself. I have it in my 05 Neon SE. My question is: should I run it on an older Rockford Fosgate 200w? Or a Boss Audio 850w? I trust Rockford but I don't know much about Boss. Other than the usual with car audio guys, "You get what you pay for." I got most of it dirt cheap because I bought it used. 

I'm completely new to car audio. Everything I know, I learned in the last three weeks. I do know, I want my car to sound like I'm at a concert (all genres), and make the ground shake a litt-a-lot-a-bit lol

I should also add, this is just my starter set. I already have a purchase list for new dual 12" subs, a high quality class D amp, 4g wiring kit, big 3 upgrade, second battery/alt, and revamp of 6.5's, 6x9's and tweets.

you do realize this thread is from 2010 right? 

Edited by CrazyKenKid
spelling