Ok, I have never owned an amp w/o on-board fuses. I understand that fuses are necessary, but I am a bit confused about just how they are installed and WHY they are necessary. I'll probably purchase an amp kit that comes with an in-line fuse. I understand that this is to protect the battery in the event of...hell idk, I just know it's to keep shit from catching on fire. Now further down the line, the two amps I have have on-board fuses to protect themselves in the event that they should draw more current than they need/can handle. (Not quite sure about that either. I know that fuses usually pop when too much juice passes through them.)

Now...I've been avoiding this by limiting myself to amps that have on-board fuses, but with the release of the fuse-less SAZ-1500d (and the rising-ass Sundown prices! I totally had that 1200d when it was 315 and now it's 395 n shit. Crushing my dreams Jacob :suicide-santa: ) I want to get a clear understanding of how this works. There is a fuse near the battery to keep fires away. There is another fuse down the line that keeps the amp in check. But...if the amp draws too much current would both fuses pop? would the battery fuse be of a higher rating to prevent this? Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of having it in the first place? Or am I wrong and is there just one fuse involved?

Someone help :puzzled:

You need a fuse at the front battery, and one at the amplifier, both are there to protect the wire and the vehicles charging system in the event of a short.