///M5

Front stage install: SEAS W18 and F1 status tweet

Here it goes, I finally got back into town and off my butt and am installing my front stage. After a month of looking at the compromises, I have decided to go with tweeters in the A-pillar (Alpine D2904/610001) and to mount my SEAS (W18E001) in the kicks. Being my car is a 5 speed I couldn't lose much foot space either so the directional mounting won't be optimal, but surely a lot better than stock!

Three pictures for this post:

1) My bare kicks--drilled to accept glass

2) My baffles--the glue is still drying so I can't do anything :hyper:

3) My kicks reinforced with glass and a hole chopped for lining up my drivers with the open area in my fenders--to be vented so they will be mounted IB

post-967-1130960233_thumb.jpg

post-967-1130960244_thumb.jpg

post-967-1130960259_thumb.jpg

Nice!! take more pics!!

Sweet!!! I want detailed photos of the entire Bimmer too!

I couldnt help but notice that pimp sharp cd player.

oh ya, lookin good so far

I couldnt help but notice that pimp sharp cd player.

oh ya, lookin good so far

Garage toons baby! With all the dust and chit I keep wrecking all other garage systems. I have gone through about 8 $10-20 receivers and finally gave up, that darn boombox won't die!

And Tirefryr, I will indeed post some shots of the bimmer when the stereo is done and I give her a good rub down.

looking like a cool project man! can't wait to see all the results!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Reza, you are going to have to wait and see on your crossover question-- I will either go active or custom build myself some passives. Oh, and I bought the drivers from Nguyen.

Only had a little time this morning, but made some headway. I have to stop and think a bit now as the footrest portion of the kick is partially in the way. Being that I am 6'6" I had thought I was going to lower the footrest anyway, but will ponder today and do something about it tomorrow.

Here are the kicks with "clearance" holes cut. I wanted to make sure that the location that I chose to put them in can clear the basket. Lots of room though so it is no problem! When I lower the footrest tomorrow I am actually going to sink the baffles into the kick a little deeper to gain a little more foot space. I love manual transmissions, but not for putting in kicks.

Here are pics of the kicks in their current state today:

post-967-1131219030_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131219211_thumb.jpg

Decided I had to remove the foot rest until the rest of the pod was finished and then reattach. Just laid glass down on the baffles into the kicks, here is a pic of the cutouts without glass.

post-967-1131320350_thumb.jpg

There is about a cuft or so in the fender they will be able to breathe into.

looks like a tight fit there

Mostly bad picture, there is a good 1/8" around the baffle to align the kick too. Underneath they are pretty roomy, just not a lot of clearance to get the driver mounted. Plus you know me, I had to overbuild the baffle.

One step closer! I should be able to put the final layer of glass on this evening, and if I am lucky the first layer of bondo as well.

Here are some updated pics:

Pic 1 shows the first test fit of the baffle/kick face in the car. Also you can see the interference that the footrest would cause.

Pic 2 shows the shortened footrest

Pic 3 shows the shortened footrest in the car (not glassed yet)

Pic 4 is the passenger side kick

:woot:

Getting somewhere now!

post-967-1131384892_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131384905_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131384916_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131384942_thumb.jpg

Looking great man! Make sure to give us a good review. I will be installing a set of Lotus RW165's soon and would like to hear your thoughts on the Excels.

Looking great man!  Make sure to give us a good review.  I will be installing a set of Lotus RW165's soon and would like to hear your thoughts on the Excels.

Well the Excel's are uber sexy looking with that copper phase plug! I will definetely give a subjective review and perhaps quantitative as well as I should have my analyzer back shortly.

I made a bit more headway tonight. First layer of bondo on the passenger side and I reconnected the drivers side to the newly shortened footrest. Here are pics. Now I just have to figure out how to sand such small features in the body filler, ergh! Can't really use a wood block...

Oh, and one other thought. My sub box build-up was my first glass project, if anyone else is learning I would modify a kick or door panel first. It is so much easier and faster. Of course, the finishing work might be trickier.

post-967-1131407693_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131407707_thumb.jpg

So is the dead pedal not useable anymore ?

Dead Pedal??

The last pic shows the footrest and my clutch pedal, the brake and gas aren't in the pic. Handlebrake for the parking manuvers to the other side of the street in the winter.

Very useable. Much stronger than before, or will be when I am done. My foot will be in the way on axis, but being 6'7 I am always in the way. Normally when I drive a long distance I rest my foot on the floor under the clutch pedal. It will really only be used when driving aggressively and the driver will be grilled for foot protection. I cut the baffles for an 8" speaker grill since I couldn't find any 7" ones. If someone has a better grill idea, let me know. I am planning on these.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi...5.25476&pid=892

Hard to keep doing this and work full time, but here are some more updated pics. I have finished the glass on the kickpanels, and almost finished the body filler. I think I might paint these since they look pretty good so far, but we shall see.

Pic 1: Driver side (the PITA for sanding, glassing and all that) Hard to tell that I lowered the dead pedal 2" now.

Pic 2: Passenger side. This one was supereasy in comparison

Pic 3: Started the mold for my A pillar tweets. I should have taken off the covers before now. I thought that I could just "bolt" my tweeters in, but the German engineers epoxied the dang tweeters in so I decided I would just make my own mold from their part and build a custom mount--easier to aim anyways.

I'd say not too bad for my first front stage fiberglass project so far....

post-967-1131489876_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131489889_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131489909_thumb.jpg