chainsaw

active set up cheap suggestions

I currently have a set of phoenix gold passive components being powered by a teac 100 x 2 amp. The head unit is a JVC KW-nx 7000. A Fi BL 12 in a 2.5 ft^3 box tuned somewhere in the low 30 powered by a Sundown SAZ-1500D make up my low end.

I'm interested in going active with my front stage and getting a better amp and components. I want a little improvement in sound, not really trying to win any SQ competitions. the budget is about $200 which I know is low, but I"m trying to plan a wedding and honeymoon and I think the fiancée is probably gonna kill me for even thinking about spending that much :lol2: . Suggestions?

Your budget is pretty low. Your going to need at least two more channels of amplification and a processor.

How are your components installed?? deadening?? Your biggest improvement will come from deadening and proper positioning. If all that is good then...

In my opinion if you can't save up more money try to find a used 880 or 9887 for processing and pick up a group buy Boss REV-665 if there is any left. Both of those should put you around $300 - $350 maybe less if you can find some good deals. Keep the component set for now, ditch the crossovers and run them active.

Your budget is pretty low. Your going to need at least two more channels of amplification and a processor.

How are your components installed?? deadening?? Your biggest improvement will come from deadening and proper positioning. If all that is good then...

In my opinion if you can't save up more money try to find a used 880 or 9887 for processing and pick up a group buy Boss REV-665 if there is any left. Both of those should put you around $300 - $350 maybe less if you can find some good deals. Keep the component set for now, ditch the crossovers and run them active.

I wanna keep my head unit. The current set up is in the stock location in the doors behind the factory grill; no deadening. I got my amp for $15, probably won't find a 4 channel that cheap anytime soon :suicide-santa:

then take that 200 hundred and email don at SDS and get yourself some deadening.

for active your going to need some processing, it can be from a new headunit, amp, or separate crossover. possibly the better option would be to get something like the sundown 100.4 if you want to keep your hu.

deadening should really come first

then take that 200 hundred and email don at SDS and get yourself some deadening.

for active your going to need some processing, it can be from a new headunit, amp, or separate crossover. possibly the better option would be to get something like the sundown 100.4 if you want to keep your hu.

deadening should really come first

thanks dude. I guess I am gonna track down a used Sundown 100.4 . and yeah deadening. Its gonna be a while, but I wanna do it eventually

I would, personally, up the total to $250. They're old school amps but built like tanks and have some of the best SQ even in todays market and the amp will allow you to go fully active on the fronts w/o processing, the amp.... Phoenix Gold ZX450. It has one of the most complex/flexible xovers in/on an amp. You can HP the tweets from 300Hz up to ~5k Hz, and you can bandpass the mids from 30Hz to ~5k Hz. I have one and loved it. It sits as a collectors item now. They usually run for about $250 on ebay. That's where I would start.

And if you have the PG RSD comps, there would be no need to upgrade your speakers.

You should do the same thing Matt, R-Kelly, and I have done and get a high-end headunit and run active using the headunit.

It would be the easiest/cheapest way to make what you want happen.

Not familiar with the TEAC amp , is that amp really that bad ? , I once owned a turntable of that brand and that was not bad at all .........

can't you re-use it and get another 2 channel amp ?

I still think you would get a better improvement from deadening then just switching to an active setup. and..

Just because you get a 880/9887 doesn't mean you have to use it as a head unit , you can use your current head unit and use it like you would have a normal processor. You would also get advantages over using amp crossovers such as, an eq and time alignment.

Not familiar with the TEAC amp , is that amp really that bad ? , I once owned a turntable of that brand and that was not bad at all .........

can't you re-use it and get another 2 channel amp ?

i like the amp. i guess i could get another 2 channel and do that, but I would really like to get 1 amp that could power everything and do the processing.

As stated above, I would focus on improving the install first. You are definetly just pissing money away if you don't. Its not the speakers fault that they aren't installed properly, and installing a different driver the same way is not going to improve the sound. 90% install, 5% equipment, 5% beer.

pissing money away on an active set-up is not going to get you anywhere if you dont install everthing right.

Lets start with the mids.

first, if you can fit an MDF ring under the speaker, its cheap and will help in several ways. The MDF will make a more rigid mounting point, will bring the spealker out to the factory grill, so the sound isn't being lost into the door card, and adds mass. Use foam wheather strip around the speaker to further block sounds from being lost into the door card.

secondly spend 30 bucks and get 10 SDS tiles, and treat your doors. At a minimum deaden where the speaker is mounted. We aren't telling you this for our health, and its kinda insulting you asking for help and the shunning it off. So get some, 10 tiles are cheap.

Third, if you can seal off the rest of the openings in the door you will improve sound, by blocking the rear sound waves from reaching you.

Fourth, Have you tested to see if the mids sound better with one speaker wired out of Phase? this can greatly improve sound by bringing the sound waves into alingment.

Then go through the same process with the tweeters.

First, test different mounting locations if possible. finding the location and aiming will be key with every new tweeter anyways, so see if you can improve what you have already. Avoid mounting them near reflective surfaces.

Secondly, Have you tested to see if the tweeters sound better with one wired out of phase?

Congrats on the engagement! :)

Sorry for being so long winded this morning, but I cant stress enough how important install is all the way from mounting to tuning.

As stated above, I would focus on improving the install first. You are definetly just pissing money away if you don't. Its not the speakers fault that they aren't installed properly, and installing a different driver the same way is not going to improve the sound. 90% install, 5% equipment, 5% beer.

pissing money away on an active set-up is not going to get you anywhere if you dont install everthing right.

Lets start with the mids.

first, if you can fit an MDF ring under the speaker, its cheap and will help in several ways. The MDF will make a more rigid mounting point, will bring the spealker out to the factory grill, so the sound isn't being lost into the door card, and adds mass. Use foam wheather strip around the speaker to further block sounds from being lost into the door card.

secondly spend 30 bucks and get 10 SDS tiles, and treat your doors. At a minimum deaden where the speaker is mounted. We aren't telling you this for our health, and its kinda insulting you asking for help and the shunning it off. So get some, 10 tiles are cheap.

Third, if you can seal off the rest of the openings in the door you will improve sound, by blocking the rear sound waves from reaching you.

Fourth, Have you tested to see if the mids sound better with one speaker wired out of Phase? this can greatly improve sound by bringing the sound waves into alingment.

Then go through the same process with the tweeters.

First, test different mounting locations if possible. finding the location and aiming will be key with every new tweeter anyways, so see if you can improve what you have already. Avoid mounting them near reflective surfaces.

Secondly, Have you tested to see if the tweeters sound better with one wired out of phase?

Congrats on the engagement! :)

Sorry for being so long winded this morning, but I cant stress enough how important install is all the way from mounting to tuning.

appreciate the advice. Definitely gonna deaden the doors first. I was having trouble wiring the components when I first put them in, so I had to have my local shop do it. Thanks for the congrats, I love that woman. Btw, I went though your build log on the accord; amazing fab work. Especially the battery spot under the spare tire

One other comment. Your first attempt at an active setup, in particular if you are using amplifier crossovers, will be guaranteed to sound worse than a passive set. *assumes you use the same drivers*

In other words, it isn't a trivial change. Considering you had a shop wire your speakers I would be EXTREMELY hesitant of making the leap to active. Fixing/improving what you have is the first step.

No problem with the advice. Always important to do the simple stuff first. To test 'phasing' simply reverse the wiring to one speaker. You can do this at the xover or the back of the speaker, it doesnt matter, which ever spot is easiest to acsess.

I remember you introducing her as your girlfriend in your last build log. :) Definetly congrats and Good luck!

Thanks for the props on the build. I do tend to get carried away sometimes but enjoy working with my hands and designing shit. :D