mrray13

satellite radio and you

do you feel that satellite radio, either XM or Sirius is worth the $13 a month?

what about the qualities and features of the receivers? cost of them?

what do you look for in a receiver? what would you like in a receiver? is the sirius s50 worth the msrp tag of $350 (or so)?

i have a few thoughts, but need some input. there could very well be a new receiver on the market soon....lol....with a nice kick to it.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Its alright, sometimes the quality of the audio is really bad.

Ive never heard sirius, supposedly better quality than XM

i have both in my rex. i truly like sirius's 80's and rap and rock stuff, and the sirius is more bass heavy :) the xm i had in before and just never shut off, i continue to support them since they support db drag. they have a better 90's channel and old rock channel than sirius. sq seems a lil better on the sirius tho, could be wrong. i do know that with my lil rex, here in brookings i get by a big building and i lose xm signal. i dont have that problem with sirius.

by the way, both mine are controlled thru the p bus in my pioneer avic n1. i ran em both on the 7480dvd no prob as well.

I NEVER listen to the radio anyways, so I don't really see the point. You still can't pick exactly what you want to hear. Genre, yes, but what if it's always something you don't like?

I love em. I've been working at CC for the past 4 months, and that's all I listen to.

I prefer sirius, I love Octane 20. I like sirius for Rock, Variety of Sports, Jazz, some rap, and they have a better line-up for talk. I basically listen to it 24/7 there's ALWAYS something I like on one of the 10 rock stations.

I think XM has a little better rap selection, they carry MLB everything, and their comedy is better sometimes.

My choice goes to Sirius. I almost installed it in my truck...but then I went to college again...so no need. I might get it this summer tho.

BTW, Alpine Sirius Direct connect for sale!!! ;)

NG

Serius is the way to go because they have more sports and a Martha Stewart channel!!!!

Plus Howard Stern if you're not bored of him. I do suggest you wire it directly into a deck because FM modulators suck.

Got Sirius and wouldn't know what to do without it. Usually I listen to CD's, but when you drive as much as I do listening to sports, news, talk shows and such becomes appealing. Sirius has WAY better stations that are talk focused. Plus they carry all the NFL & NBA games. Bonus if you play fantasy football--24hr football network. Generally the music stations on both are sort of lame, but better than local radio at least since you can choose a genre.

It would be much better if they would make the little boombox they have with RCA outs. Then one unit could go from car, house, boat and so on. The antenna crap is a pain in the ass and $50.

Anyone know where to source extra antenna's cheap?

I definetely like Sirius better than XM....

ok, well, here's the deal. i'm in contact with an OEM to manufacture recievers. these receivers will have the ability to go from car to hous to whatever without much work. they will also be able to be used like a walkman. that is, plug headphones into them.

there is also the idea of including the programing with the receiver, meaning when u purchase the receiver, u purchase the programing. i'm in touch with both xm and sirius about how do achieve that. so there won't be a $13 per month charge to listen to it.

one last kicker..there might potentially be a unit that includes both programs....

so, how much would u pay for a receiver where u'd never have to pay xm or sirius? with the features mentioned above?

how much would u pay for a receiver that would receive both?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hmmm...

Not sure, might be no dice on the NEVER paying for it...lol. I know Sirius was running a crazy deal like subscribe for life for $500.

Anyway, take a cue from the Pioneer Airware...or better. It has a strong antenna, and a decent modulator. I'd like to have something with a scroll wheel or something...it's chitty to press the "up/down" button 5million times to navigate through 160+channels. I wouldn't want both services...I think you could get it to come with a years worth of service maybe...but never pay again...eh...it'll be tough.

NG

Hmmm...

I know Sirius was running a crazy deal like subscribe for life for $500.

My dad did that. He does alot of driving though, so he's lovin it.

I guess that is an answer. $500 for both for life with hardware and it would sell. I think it would be pretty tough to get much more since the products are still just beyond infancy.

I hope to get it in the near future, at first I was set on XM, they have one more satlite, but Sirus seems to have content that I would like better

Sounds like too much for one device....something is going to suffer....size, performance, cosmetics, price....then you are gonna have to fight off the big dogs so your going to need some serious stuff to combat them...such as a superior user interface, on par cosmetics, competative battery life & superior sonic performance all at an equal or lower price point. Then who is your market?....probably the younger crowd. What is their disposable income? I think you may be better off focusing on the hardware and leaving the service to xm or serius and the choice of which by means of a replaceable chip/sim card. Maybe add a hdd or media card slot for mp3's. Just my 2 pesos....but no matter what you do....best of luck in your endeavor....I hope you make a billion....