Bam bam

Xcon 18 Sound Quality

I recently read a review for the AA SMD 18 and they identified the sub as a SQ sub. With that being said below are the results of the testing..

Score Chart

Musical score: 7 of 10

Overall Sound Quality: 8 of 10

Tonal Balance: 7 of 10

Low Frequency Extension: 7.5 of 10

Clarity at Low Volume: 6.5 of 10

Clarity at High Volume: 8.5 of 10

Impact: 9 of 10

when testing they said the sub did not perform well (in terms of sound quality) at low volume. 

How does the Xcon 18 sound at low and high volume?

If they can't tell the difference between a high powered competition sub and an SQ oriented driver, I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion...

those scores can't be used since the same source (caraudiomag) has not reviewed the xcon yet....

Edited by bimmerboy

How do you score a sub? It sounds like that was more of a vehicle score.. Because all that can very depending on enclosure/install/etc. Also could be a biased score, and

Could vary by judge. One persons opinion does not define a speakers overall performance.

those ratings are ridiculous. IMO the Xcon is the best of both world. It is extremely accurate at its full rms rating and still sounds great with half that power and gets crazy loud at the same time.

If they can't tell the difference between a high powered competition sub and an SQ oriented driver, I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion...

I'm not sure you know a lot about subwoofers... :peepwall:

The enclosure matters waaay more then the subwoofer.

Now i've said that, the SMD isn't a high powered competition sub.

It's a musical subwoofer meant to handle crazy amount of power and sound good doing it.

IT IS NOT A BURP SUBWOOFER.

So at low volume on the Head Unit does the Xcon have great sound quality and is just as clean and accurate at high volume?

Edited by Bam bam

So at low volume on the Head Unit the sound quality is just as good and accurate at high volume?

If you're talking about the smd, then the sound quality at high volume is better then at low volume..( it has more "kick" to it.) :peepwall:

EDIT: Spelling error.

Edited by kirill007

So at low volume on the Head Unit the sound quality is just as good and accurate at high volume?

If you're talking about the smd, then the qound quality at high volume is better then at low volume..( it has more L"kick" to it.) :

Sorry I was talking about the Xcon

Wow.

FIrst off. THis is the equivalent of lining up a Top Fuel Funny car in a drag race against a horse drawn buggy. Seriously.

Car Audio and Electronics is nothing but a bunch of idiots. I know several manufacturers who were offered better reviews if they advertised when they were still printing issues.

And finally. . . . Seriously?

I run 2 XCON 18s on 4kw and absolutely love them, amazing low end and great response. I listen to a lot of Disturbed and other heavy rock and they hang in there so well you would think they were 12s. Well worth the money!

and btw, honestly one of my favorite aspects of the XCONs is the performance at low volume, very very crisp and clean

The comparison was for sound quality only. No one can deny that the SMD is a hell of sub.

Carautomag.com called the SMD a SQ sub yet I haven't heard any owner of the sub comment on the SQ and carautoauto.com gave it less that perfect score.

Carautomag.com should review the Xcon 18!!

and btw, honestly one of my favorite aspects of the XCONs is the performance at low volume, very very crisp and clean

This is perfect!!! This is what I was looking for! : )

I run 2 XCON 18s on 4kw and absolutely love them, amazing low end and great response. I listen to a lot of Disturbed and other heavy rock and they hang in there so well you would think they were 12s. Well worth the money!

Thanks!

The comparison was for sound quality only. No one can deny that the SMD is a hell of sub.

Carautomag.com called the SMD a SQ sub yet I haven't heard any owner of the sub comment on the SQ and carautoauto.com gave it less that perfect score.

Subwoofer Sound Quality and even sound output cannot be judge off a single install and person.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

I don't know why you are spreading false info, but they never said it was a SQ subwoofer, they said this:

"I believe the SMD was not linear in the way an SQ woofer should be for performance at lower volumes, but please note an 18” subwoofer of this magnitude needs to be played loud."

They say it's not a SQ subwoofer, so i don't get it where you get the WRONG info.

EDIT: Bassauholic, read the review on caraudiomag.com.

It's different from what bam bam says. ;)

Edited by kirill007

Damn i read the thread completely wrong. I thought they did a review on the Xcon. I never thought the SMD was classified as a SQ sub either

The review was disappointing how you have to consider the review when spending that kind of money. It would be nice if a few people could review the sub so everyone could compare reviews.

Subwoofer Sound Quality and even sound output cannot be judge off a single install and person.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Damn i read the thread completely wrong. I thought they did a review on the Xcon. I never thought the SMD was classified as a SQ sub either

It was never classified as SQ sub.

It's a musical subwoofer meant to handle crazy amount of power and sound good doing it.

Actually, I would class it as a sub meant to get stupid loud while retaining some modicum of musicality.

I completely understand the importance of the enclosure. A poor match between box and sub will severely limit the accuracy potential of the setup. With that said, even the best enclosure won't make an average sounding sub sound excellent.

And I stand by my assessment of the reviewer's opinion.

This.

Bambam, what are you looking for in a sub woofer? The AA driver is a serious piece of engineering and is really in a class all to itself. VERY few people can really get that sub woofer to it's full potential. The Xcon is a different beast, in a different class.

I am searching for a 18" sub that gets loud and will sound great while doing it.