bmr4life

Sealed 12" Icon or Ported 10" Icon?

I have room for either one. Amp is an ED Nine.1 (1200 @ 1 ohm).

My music preference is rap and I like deep bass and SPL. I'm sure either setup will satisfy my SQ requirements.

Car is a 2005 Mustang. Very small trunk.

Thank you

Edited by S197

what type of car? trunk, hatch? With out knowing anything other then you like rap, Ported will probably get the job done nicely for you.

Sorry, its a 2005 Mustang. Very small trunk.

Sorry, its a 2005 Mustang. Very small trunk.

You would most likely have more output out of the single 10" Ported in your case then.

You could do an external port on the 12

You could do an external port on the 12

You mean something like a PVC tube bending outside of the box?

Thanks. Its looking like ported is the way to go.

Now I just spend 30 minutes in the trunk of my car trying to see if there anyway the small 12" ported box would fit. If possible, is that something I should consider? 10" in optimal ported box or 12" in small ported box???

I'm in the process of getting my blown 12" replaced and am currently debating swapping it out for a 10".

Thanks for all the replies.

Now I just spend 30 minutes in the trunk of my car trying to see if there anyway the small 12" ported box would fit. If possible, is that something I should consider? 10" in optimal ported box or 12" in small ported box???

I'm in the process of getting my blown 12" replaced and am currently debating swapping it out for a 10".

10" in an optimal box will kill a 12" in a box too small

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still not sure I could even fit the 12" small ported through the trunk opening. Cardboard mock-up still leaves me unsure.

Going with the 10" will make my life a lot easier anyway. I'd still be able to get to my spare without to much trouble.

Edited by S197

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still not sure I could even fit the 12" small ported through the trunk opening. Cardboard mock-up still leaves me unsure.

Going with the 10" will make my life a lot easier anyway. I'd still be able to get to my spare without to much trouble.

If SPL is a big concern I would try to mock up a 12 in optimal ported cf with an external aero port.External port means that you do not subtract port volume in the enclosure design therefor making the enclosure smaller.

Yeah I'd do that. It's your best bet IMO.

If SPL is a big concern I would try to mock up a 12 in optimal ported cf with an external aero port.External port means that you do not subtract port volume in the enclosure design therefor making the enclosure smaller

Bigger

From what I can see online, the main purpose of external ports is to reach the proper tuning freq when the required port is too large to fit in the enclosure. The enclosure itself will be smaller, but the port will be large on the outside so the space savings is very small if any my situation.

Edited by S197

From what I can see online, the main purpose of external ports is to reach the proper tuning freq when the required port is too large to fit in the enclosure. The enclosure itself will be smaller, but the port will be large on the outside so the space savings is very small if any my situation.

It might be worth looking into. I would get a hold of a box builder and see what is recommended. Just my $.02, good luck.

I vote for 10" ported, get some trunk space and would sound better than choking up a 12" woofer.