Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

Battery question

I have 2 Kinetik HC 2000's in my tahoe which is broken down for the time being. Fuel pump took a dump and its in-tank. not to mention i was just layed off from work.. its going to be sitting for a little while. Do i have anything to worry about, will the battery's be fine? ... im only asking this because im pretty sure ive read about this somewhere else but have nothing solid to go on.. i mean if they go dead i charge em.. right? lol. Just unsure and could use some clarification.

Also while im here, i see kinetik sells chargers for 'their' battery's.. My dad has an old school battery charger in the garage, far from cheap in its day. Is it necessary to use their charger? When i asked my dad about it he tells me the charger he has puts out exactly what an alternator puts out, why would it need something else. My alternator charges the battery's as is so that sounds about right to me....? lol. thanks for anyone who can clear these little questions up for me.

Edited by smashedz28

Usually leaving your ground wire hooked up on batteries can tend to drain the batteries over time if the car isnt started, I would just unhook them until you plan on using the truck if that is not for a while.

Should be ok, just keep an eye on them and if the dip lower than they rest, give them a little charge.

No, you do not need to charge with Kinetik's charger, but it would help to have a trickle charger with an AGM setting.

Ok, will do. Appreciate the responses.

I have 2 Kinetik HC 2000's in my tahoe which is broken down for the time being. Fuel pump took a dump and its in-tank. not to mention i was just layed off from work.. its going to be sitting for a little while. Do i have anything to worry about, will the battery's be fine? ... im only asking this because im pretty sure ive read about this somewhere else but have nothing solid to go on.. i mean if they go dead i charge em.. right? lol. Just unsure and could use some clarification.

If the vehicle is sitting and you know it is not going anywhere for quite sometime disconnect the batteries totally from the vehicle/audio system. If the batteries are resting under 12.7 volts I would charge them fully before letting them set. As for the charger the charger needs to be regulated for AGM batteries where it does not go above 14.7 volts and should be intelligent (AKA computer controlled). If the charger you have has a timer on it it more than likely can not fully charge a sealed agm battery and you run the risk of the voltage ramping up. With the intelligent chargers they are multi stage and can charge an agm battery 5 to 7% better at least. A very good charger would be a ctek mus-7002 which sell for about $130 which if it sounds steep is less expensive than a lot of other regulated intelligent chargers that do not recondition or de-sulfate a weak battery.