BanginGMC

Boston Acoustics SPG555

Does anyone know any information on the Boston Acoustics SPG555? Is it a good performing woofer or just another mainstream average sub?

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SPG555-P567.aspx

555 cm2 of surface area

3¾ inches of peak-to-peak excursion

3½ voice-coil

Radialvent® cooling technology

Only 26 Lbs! Thanks to Neodymium Lightweight design

RVC™ (Removable Voice Coil) allows coil to be exchanged without removing the woofer from the enclosure

SPS™ (Soft Part System) removable assembly enables field repair of the cone/surround/spider assembly

Can be field-stripped and custom painted, powder-coated, or plated

Work in multiple enclosures, both sealed and ported

Integral sealing gaskets simplify both standard and inverted mounting

Available in 4-ohm and 2-ohm versions

Reason I ask is because my brother is thinking about buying one.

Thanks guys.

On a side note, removable voice coil seems pretty user friendly :)

Link is bad dude.

i dont know anything about the sub and never heard it. i can see that the oval design is just to increase surface area, like the kicker square subs. i assume it probably has the same problems, given that the cone is not circular, there is added stress to the cone which can cause failure. i dont know if this sub has a problem with this.. regardless it still is just a gimmick.

the replaceable coil is just another gimmick imo. buy a sub from Fi or other company and get a recone if it fails..

Link works for me?

Thanks for the thoughts though, much appreciated! I'll let him know.

those SPL lane in field repair features are just plain stupid since the tracetrack design makes it not usable in the lanes ,

racetrack designs do not suffer the same problems square woofers do , at least to my knowledge .

they sound good , but no better than to be expected ,a nice feature is the passive radiator that is available , something you don't see very often anymore .

in that regard , Fi wouldnt mind making a passive eighter though

Edited by BASSmaster

Some local car audio company had that in a ported enclosure, he said it was the "true W7 killer".

It sounded okay, better then the other equipment he had in all pre-fab boxes, even the 15's.

But the box looked rather more designed for the BA and the others were all too small for them

I have never personally owned one so I don't know how they perform long term. I have heard the SPG555PS package in a SUV and it did pretty well, can't remember what amp was powering it. I have owned Boston Acoustic products before (comps, amps, subs-g2 and g3) and I have always been impressed. I would not touch that sub for $650, maybe you can get it for a better price?

has a brutal low end not to great on higher notes and had a few problems.....blew once then spider detached from frame but i liked the way it sounded good sub for 300

Boston Acoustics is a quality car audio company and their equipment can definitely be trusted. However, for 650-700 dollars I would not buy one of their products. Im sure, with 700 dollars, you could purchase a driver that gets louder and sounds better than this particular driver.

700 bucks for a driver with no T/S specs? No thanks...

its only worth 350 tops but if u can get it in ported enclosure ba makes for it this thing will wang had it in trunk of 2005 mustang off a t1500-1bd it was the 2 ohm version of the spg just make sure you dont clip signal at all or this sub will blow i would actually under power it burns coil if more than 1200 watts goes to it