harveywong

Which way is better to keep voltage up?

Currently have 1 run each 1/0 gauge wire on a 180 amp alt with 3 kinetik batteries on the back (running 1 audioque 3500d.1 in the back). My voltage at ilde is dropping to around 12 volts and at 2000 rpm it is dropping to around 12.3 to 12.5 volts when i'm cranking it up for demos. My question is would adding another run or two of 1/0 help keep my voltage up or do i need a bigger alt?

I would go with a larger or second alt. That 3500 is definitely pulling more amps than your alt can supply. :morepower1:

Edit: Forgot to ask.. do you have the big 3 done? *assumed you do, but wanted to make sure*

Edited by brandonf

The amount of amprage that can pass through a wire is directly related to the gauge and lenght of the wire. Your 1/0 is capable between 150-200 amps depending on the brand, and based on the fact that you problably don't have over 17 ft run. You are also trying to use the extra current avilable from your front battery. Armed with this knowledge you know you are at the limits of the 1/0, but won't benifit from another run unless you get a bigger alternator.

Here's a chart I grabbed off the internet to help you understand.

wiringdiagram.jpg

You need 1 more run of 1/0 and at least another 180 amp alternator.

I'd get a second alternator around 300amp and run JUST that one on the audio. And allow the 180 to run just the truck. So the two systems are separate.

i dont know if that chart is wrong but i do not think this chart is accurate for musical playback.

If you or the user thinks the 1/0 cable is at it's limit, it would easily be getting warm at some point.

I have never witnessed 1/0 cable get warm and on setups similar to his but with larger alternator on top of that.

The fact is that current is not as consistent as voltage can be and because of that, that chart above can't be taken that literal.

That chart is moving into the overkill section and overkill isn't all important for a daily driver.

Curious as to what alt and ratings are for that alt.

The voltage drop you are seeing i believe is a direct result of resistance in your connections AND a need to take your batteries out and recharge them individually.

"IF" your alt was doing 150A at 2000rpm, that would leave around another 150-200A MAX extra for music to dump on the batts.

If 3 batteries cant handle that without dropping to 12.3-12.5... then either you arent using large enough batts(i'm assuming you are using HC1800 or bigger) or the batts need some charging.

You still would benefit from a larger alt, no doubt, but you will also still be dropping below 13.0v even with a 250A alt likely at some points.

That amp can pull upwards of around 400A. Now, it won't ever do that on music unless you have it wired real low.

That chart is not accurate but conveys the point, thus why I wrote it was a chart I just grabbed off the internet. If the OP doesn't have a bigger alternator, then theres no point in more runs of wire. It doesn't matter that the amp is capable of drawing 400amps/4000watts, if the the current is not there to transfer from the front of the car.

the 3 batteries in the back are the Kinetik 2400. What i did notice because I have 2 volt meter installed one at the battery in the front and the other right before the amp in the back is that when I am cranking the system my volt meter in the front reads about 1 volt higher in the front than the back meter. Does this means that not enough current is getting to the back batteries? Also as soon as i turn down the system my voltage reads the same on both (14.3).

It either means that your 1/0 wire isn't tranfering the full current OR you have a poor ground at some point in the circuit. Do you have the big 3 done? what brand of 1/0 ga wire do you have?

The big 3 is done and the wire is made by Stinger. The batteries are grounded in the back along with 1 run of ground from front to back.

If you have good wire with uninterrupted runs and good grounds you should have a solid setup with a good starting battery and a good auxiliary battery with the engine running. I have a strong feeling that you have too many batteries sucking the life out of your alternator.

Disconnect all the batteries and check resting voltage. Are they all good?

What batteries do you have? All AGM? Same brand? What size batteries do you have?

Run a good AGM battery up front and one AGM auxiliary battery mounted near the amplifiers. How is voltage now?

The problem might lie in the starting battery, he has mentioned that his rear batteries are Kinetik HC2400's.... What is your starting battery???

The Kinetik's are about one year old and the starting battery is a yellow top, probably about 2 years old. Both volt meters reads 12.8 -12.9 in the morning before I start the car.

I would add another run of wire before I upgaded my alt, it can only help.

the 3 batteries in the back are the Kinetik 2400. What i did notice because I have 2 volt meter installed one at the battery in the front and the other right before the amp in the back is that when I am cranking the system my volt meter in the front reads about 1 volt higher in the front than the back meter. Does this means that not enough current is getting to the back batteries? Also as soon as i turn down the system my voltage reads the same on both (14.3).

did you set the voltage meters based on a dmm reading or just installed them from factory settings? also what volt meters are you using? and you do that in a parallel setup the voltage will be constant right so if you are getting different readings there is something else a miss.

also will a second run help you out... i say yes only because you are using more then 3k (amp specs) i say for every 3k use 1 run! but also keep in mind your alt is outputting at best 180 amps which is PLENTY for one run Since each run of 1/0 since each run can hold... what 200-300amps... depending on the brand

if you had a 320amp alt i would say go with 2-3runs again depending on the brand used!

did you set the voltage meters based on a dmm reading or just installed them from factory settings? also what volt meters are you using? and you do that in a parallel setup the voltage will be constant right so if you are getting different readings there is something else a miss.

also will a second run help you out... i say yes only because you are using more then 3k (amp specs) i say for every 3k use 1 run! but also keep in mind your alt is outputting at best 180 amps which is PLENTY for one run Since each run of 1/0 since each run can hold... what 200-300amps... depending on the brand

if you had a 320amp alt i would say go with 2-3runs again depending on the brand used!

Are you referring to the voltage difference from the front to the rear? If so, It's called resistance, whether it be from the single power run, poor ground, or chassis, etc.

and X2 on what type of voltage meter your using? and did you adjust it to match the reading with your dmm? Or did you just stick it in?