CrazyKenKid

yet again another gain issue!

OKay here is what is up! I just installed my 2-12inch NS v1, and powering them is 2-saz2500 all wired to 2ohms! (subs wire to 4ohms and then wired in parallel to each other to drop the load to 2ohms)

IMAG0151.jpg

now with my last setup it was a single 15inch NS v1 d1 wired in parellel to get a 2ohm load!

IMG_5135.jpg

this isn't the last box but close enough to what it all looked like.

now back ground, with the single 15inch first I set it via dmm, then used and oscope to set my gains and then clamped it and realized that i was making about 2400rms on a 6~ohm load on a burp. which was good enough to get me a 145.5 db on burp out of the old setup.

now here is the issue with the 2-12s installed and with the previous gain settings when i crank it all the way up my one amp will go into protect due to clipping or to low of an impedance(not sure which one).

now i would simple jsut reset the gains but stupid me forgot about the gains because it was getting late and I dropped the new box in with the subs then i proceeded to seal it off with expanding foam and now i realize that i would have to reset my gains agian but takign out that box will be a bitch.

both of the amps are UNDER the sub box in the tire well.

but I think I found a loop hole! I am using a remote gain knob on those amps so would I be able to turn the knob down a bit rather then take the whole box out and go though countless hours just to twist the knob a bit? or is that not how it works? I assume because it is a remote gain knob it would act like the gain knob on the amps...no?

I don't know what to do other then not play the system at max which is no big issue as it get loud when everything is low as that box is tuned to 30-90hz and the system is crossed at 80hz! at any rate what can I do? o and school starts on Monday so i want/need to do something soon lol

You will need to check you amp's manual to see if the remote knob acts as a gain control or bass boost.

Ultimately resetting you gains and double checking the wiring is best.

if they are strapped you want to have the slave gain all the way down and have the master control everything as it should being that its the master

The Sundowns remote is a remote gain so yes, you could turn it down at the remote.

:sleepwerd4:

awesome! I will just reset the knob then! thanks guys for your help and i will also double check my wiring.

off topic question if the slave amps gain is set all the way up would that effect anything? and no i don't know off hand if that gain is set i don't believe so but if IF it was would it have any effect since it is after all the SLAVE amp? also on a side note the amp that goes into protect is the slave amp while the master stays out of protect... is that odd to anyone else other then me? like shouldn't both amps go into protect?

also would the settings on the slave amp matter? like it is the slave and the master should over ride all of the settings...yes... no? / ?

From amps i've messed with, the slave output on the master amp will bypass all processing control functions on the slave amp... That is why the slave inputs are different than just the ordinary inputs.

I wouldnt see why sundown would be any different.

From amps i've messed with, the slave output on the master amp will bypass all processing control functions on the slave amp... That is why the slave inputs are different than just the ordinary inputs.

I wouldnt see why sundown would be any different.

awesome that is what I am leaning towards also

thanks

I also send Jacob an e-mail regarding this question. I seems every time I ask someone this question no one can give me a straight answer due to lack of people strapping amps I would guess.

well other then shizzzon of course! he is the man with plenty of knowledge lol!

thanks again and I will post Jacobs answer here when I get it!

thanks man!

I also jsut got word back from Jacob and he said

"Slave setting don't matter."

so thanks everyone for your inputs also I just set my gain with my remote lol and it worked!

nice!

just be careful with controlling with the knob as you only crank it about 1/4 way and thats full. the rest of the way up on the knob does nothing. another thing you could do is, turn down your Sub volume on your deck if you have it, that will turn down the input voltage to your amps witch would almost be the same as turning the gain down.

just be careful with controlling with the knob as you only crank it about 1/4 way and thats full. the rest of the way up on the knob does nothing. another thing you could do is, turn down your Sub volume on your deck if you have it, that will turn down the input voltage to your amps witch would almost be the same as turning the gain down.

well i just set my gains with the knob and it is turned just under 1/2 way up. and if i turn the knob up more the output on the amp also goes up as i seen this on my dmm

and yes i forgot about the sub controls thanks man! hey want to buy a 15inch NS v1? d1

2-6" you should have went with 2-8" for 32each!

or a single 10inch for 70$~~!!

the 6's are to small lol more port! lol

If you are still having any issues I'd un-strap the amps and run each at 1 ohm as the first troubleshooting step -- occasionally amps just don't like to be strapped in some applications.

If you are still having any issues I'd un-strap the amps and run each at 1 ohm as the first troubleshooting step -- occasionally amps just don't like to be strapped in some applications.

interesting comment you make a friend told me i should do the same thing maybe he was onto something!

i will give this a try... in april and until then i will keep it low i guess.

damn i wish i did not have school to worry about that way i can resolve this quickly.

2-6" you should have went with 2-8" for 32each!

or a single 10inch for 70$~~!!

the 6's are to small lol more port! lol

A little off topic, but where are you getting 10" aeros?