Sign in to follow this  
cjackxiii

[Q] alternater

I'm planning on a new system in my 1970 oldsmobile cutlass. I wanted it to include 2 btl subs with my. rockford fosgate t4000bd amp. I was wonderng if amlnyone has any sugestions on any aftrmarket alternators. I was also wondering if Im able to just add a second alternator to my car or would that increase the voltage were it would screw up the cars electrical as well as burn up the amp.

-Thanx, Jack

You could add a second alternator. The voltage is regulated so it wont double because you have 2 alternators. Contact DC power and see what they have for your vehicle.

So both alternaters could exist on the same circuit? Online everyone seems to isolate the two into their seperate circuits.

No, everybody online doesn't seperate the two, unless they are running 12 volts and say 16 volts.

Its fine to add a extra alternator if that's what you want to do. Or you could replace the one you have now with a upgraded one.

So both alternaters could exist on the same circuit? Online everyone seems to isolate the two into their seperate circuits.

No, everybody online doesn't seperate the two, unless they are running 12 volts and say 16 volts.

Its fine to add a extra alternator if that's what you want to do. Or you could replace the one you have now with a upgraded one.

Multiple alternators can exist on the same circuit, it just depends on the vehicle. Many newer vehicles have the alternators voltage regulated (or in part) by the vehicle's computer. Often when adding multiple alternators to newer vehicles you must use the additional alternator on a separate circuit.

Most older vehicles like yours do not have these issues and it's a simple add on where both alts can be connected.

Chances are for your power needs you're best bet is to get 1 high output alternator and a few good batteries in back.

Multiple alternators can exist on the same circuit, it just depends on the vehicle. Many newer vehicles have the alternators voltage regulated (or in part) by the vehicle's computer. Often when adding multiple alternators to newer vehicles you must use the additional alternator on a separate circuit.

Most older vehicles like yours do not have these issues and it's a simple add on where both alts can be connected.

Chances are for your power needs you're best bet is to get 1 high output alternator and a few good batteries in back.

Thanks for the great insight. I went ahead and purchased a 270 amp alternator from dc power and will probably try and weld together some brackets to replace my ac with the stock alternator to run dual alts. Your explanation help clear up some confusion.

Sign in to follow this